There are 108 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
We will see about that next year.

Glad Kyle is making the decision and not people on here.

And I'd speculate Kyle's mind is certainly not made up about next year right now as so many others are.

But if he goes with Brock I'm going with Brock too. Esp of he wins the Super Bowl this year.

I'm most pleased that Brock is showing all the idiot Jimmy lovers how limited he really was and how it was HIM who was holding the offense back the whole damn time for years despite their claims to the contrary and others attempts to make this fact known to them.

Thank you, Brock, for unleashing and unlocking the offense to its real potential that your predecessor had zero ability to do yes was still lauded by his cult followers in here.

No justification for attacking JG supporters in this thread.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Koldo:
I feel bad for Trey cause he seems to be a good kid, but we can't afford to wait for him to finally develop.

It's Brock's team now.

Depends how long the development will take.

Beating the Seahawks is nothing. Beating the Vikings next week is nothing. Most compeent qbs are winning those games with this stacked roster.

It starts in the NFC title game vs Philly.

And then in the Super Bowl.

If Brock puts up 30+ points in both those games against those teams that will be quite impressive and probably necessary if we are to have a chance to win those games. Could easily lose the SB 44-38 to the Chiefa and that is not on Brock if so.

hahahha

It is Trey Lance

Not Dan Marino

The dude does not have to get into to Canton his rookie season.

Ill do one better

Purdy is the starter next year period even if he does not take another snap this season.

We will see about that next year.

Glad Kyle is making the decision and not people on here.

And I'd speculate Kyle's mind is certainly not made up about next year right now as so many others are.

But if he goes with Brock I'm going with Brock too. Esp of he wins the Super Bowl this year.

I'm most pleased that Brock is showing all the idiot Jimmy lovers how limited he really was and how it was HIM who was holding the offense back the whole damn time for years despite their claims to the contrary and others attempts to make this fact known to them.

Thank you, Brock, for unleashing and unlocking the offense to its real potential that your predecessor had zero ability to do yes was still lauded by his cult followers in here.

Taking shots at Jimmy in a Trey thread when a Trey lead offense averages 14 ppg.

Hard for you to understand sample size apparently. Maybe take a statistics class before you comment.

Trey is raw making a small sample size to place judgment insanely dumb.

I didn't know what Trey will become but I said for years how Jimmy was holding the offense back and needed a replacement for us to win the SB.

I just want the next big thing and the best long-term qb. Who will be considered the better qb five years from now? If it's Brock and he is a top 5 qb and Lance is below that then hell yes I want to go with Brock. If Lance is regarded as a top 5 qb and Brock a top 10-15 qb then I want Lance over Brock without question.

Problem is none of us know the future so can only project into the future.

Shanahan should go with the guy he thinks will be the superior player not just next year but five years from now. If he thinks that's Trey I hope he goes with Trey. If he thinks it's Brock I hope he goes with Brock. Brock is playing fantastic and Im loving it.

Just happy it won't be Jimmy leading this team to any more playoff defeats and very boring play to boot.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Sure, but quite a number of posters in this thread want to start Trey next season over the great Brock Purdy because Trey need reps.

So true

And if it doesn't work out they can always blame the team for failing him lol

Why would anyone blame "the team"? Who exactly is that? The TEAM is the reason everyone is on this site to begin with. Brainless post with zero thought.

We were making fun of what genus49 said earlier. Here was the original quote:

Originally posted by genus49:
The team drafted Trey knowing he needed reps to improve. They then sat him as a rookie only playing him when forced by injury and when they played him it was mostly using him as a near fullback.

I mentioned before when you look at Trey's runs vs Seattle when he came in mid game vs his runs when he was a starter they were a lot worse.

On top of it the whole thing this year with Lance starting was "we don't need Trey to do too much the run game, defense and all our talent at WR/TE would help him out"

His one start this year aka his big chance to prove himself Kittle is out. Mitchell gets hurt early. Deebo fumbles in the red zone. Defense commits stupid penalties in key moments and screw up coverage allowing Fields to throw for his 3 good throws and two of them for TDs.

So yes the team failed him. They knew what they were getting and the support system which was supposed to lift him up didn't live up to the billing.

This.

hes been trying to make things personal with me since last night.

exhibit 3 " Brainless post with zero thought." lol

I still don't understand what he's so upset about after yesterdays win lol

Might want to follow his own advice.
" I still don't understand why people feel they have to make fun of any fellow fan here though."
"why do fans here feel such a need to argue with fellow fans?"
Originally posted by Shemp:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
We started the 2022 season with the worst QB on our roster, progressively working towards our best. We got pretty lucky. Shanahan and Lynch were playing Trey because they had no choice but to double down on a questionable draft day decision. The niners would be watching the playoffs from the couch if Lance never got injured.

That's not it at all. The worst PURE PASSER, but at the time, no, he wasn't the worst QUARTERBACK, because what we planned on doing needed his legs. Jimmy wouldn't have done any better in Chicago. See the Colts in 2021.

Trey Lance is a non-instinctual athlete that is playing quarterback. We had one of those before. I'm not even sure his ceiling is as high as Kaep's, much less Purdy's.

Trey has better mental faculties. HIs problem is accuracy, not processing.
Originally posted by pdc20:
So now Kyle choosed Trey as starter because he had to play him because of the three first round picks...I see that it´s getting better and better on this topic.
It´s Kyle Shanahan we´re talking about. The guy that litterally said "f**k I will put Aiyuk in the doghouse because I don´t like his attitude during training camp and I´m Kyle f**king Shanahan and you will like it!". And Kyle was the guy that wanted Aiyuk!!!!

But hey keep dreaming about this giant conspiracy that Brock Purdy was the best QB in training camp. "It was me Kyle! It was me all along!".
You know there´s a funny thing called improvement. And what is even funnier is that when you´re a young player and specially a rookie you can improve massively during a season. Nick Bosa against Tampa Bay in the first game of the season wasn´t Nick Bosa the best player in the Superbowl even if offensive holdings don´t exist in fourth quarters of Superbowl apparently. Same with Dre Greenlaw that season by the way.

So maybe, just maybe, Brock Purdy learned the game watching from the sidelines. Maybe just maybe he understood more the offense which is really not easy to grasp ask Matt Ryan. And maybe just maybe, Brock Purdy wasn´t the best QB at all in August but is now in January. Weird I know but let´s just believe Kyle and John are some sort of illuminatis that knew that the third stringer was a f**king killer and just wanted to lose games on purpose.
It´s so funny playing in PO mode every year for 10 weeks straight.^^

This is pretty spot on.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
There is plenty of reason to think Brock may be the FQB moving forward, but ZERO reason to hope we trade Lance. The narrative is that Lance isn't worth s**t so we should trade him. But if he wasn't worth s**t, why would any team want him? So we have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers situation. Why not enjoy the depth at QB and luxury of having both on rookie deals for the foreseeable future? Why are these few people so eager to dump him? We AIN'T keeping Jimmy, that what's bothering folks?

Teams will trade for the unknown and right now that's where Trey lands on league radars for everyone but this Franchise who has seen him in 2 training camps and preseasons. Teams will also make stupid moves for a QB when they don't have a QB. Trey still has trade value but if we skirt him out for a 3rd season to see him fail again it will diminish what we can get for him.

This is Purdy's team and I'm a Jimmy fan but the kid has something special.

Trey will get a 2nd and a 3rd best case in a trade. Who would do that? Anyone who loses out on any other chance on QB's they want in the draft and on veteran QBs they want in free agency. He's got a low salary cap next year, we should just keep him. I'm only worried about him "beating out" Brock in TC and the pre-season for reasons unrelated to his skills or performance, and more related to how much ego is tied up in that awful draft trade for the rights to draft him.
There is plenty of reason to think Brock may be the FQB moving forward, but ZERO reason to hope we trade Lance. The narrative is that Lance isn't worth s**t so we should trade him. But if he wasn't worth s**t, why would any team want him? So we have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers situation. Why not enjoy the depth at QB and luxury of having both on rookie deals for the foreseeable future? Why are these few people so eager to dump him? We AIN'T keeping Jimmy, that what's bothering folks?

Teams will trade for the unknown and right now that's where Trey lands on league radars for everyone but this Franchise who has seen him in 2 training camps and preseasons. Teams will also make stupid moves for a QB when they don't have a QB. Trey still has trade value but if we skirt him out for a 3rd season to see him fail again it will diminish what we can get for him.

Trey will get a 2nd and a 3rd best case in a trade. Who would do that? Anyone who loses out on any other chance on QB's they want in the draft and on veteran QBs they want in free agency. He's got a low salary cap next year, we should just keep him. I'm only worried about him "beating out" Brock in TC and the pre-season for reasons unrelated to his skills or performance, and more related to how much ego is tied up in that awful draft trade for the rights to draft him.

Why would the 49ers choose to lose cap space AND a backup QB to get mid round picks? Don't see them trading him. The best QB is going to play. The only way Trey has a chance at beating out Brock is if he grows in the off-season and Shanahan gets fixated on QB power and things off of it again. That's very unlikely to happen. It's not like Brock is playing like Jimmy. Brock is playing like a top 10 QB.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Why would the 49ers choose to lose cap space AND a backup QB to get mid round picks? Don't see them trading him. The best QB is going to play. The only way Trey has a chance at beating out Brock is if he grows in the off-season and Shanahan gets fixated on QB power and things off of it again. That's very unlikely to happen. It's not like Brock is playing like Jimmy. Brock is playing like a top 10 QB.

Agree with everything you said. It makes no sense to trade him. It also makes no sense to start him, unless something cataclysmic happens to Purdy or him.
This thread should stay locked
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Jan 15, 2023 at 3:09 PM ]

I'm a little worried about them giving the ball back to Trey because of his draft commitment. Purdy has obviously been better, but he also didn't have CMC. I honestly thing Christian has been the difference maker, but Purdy is also more accurate, has way better pocket awareness and his scrambling is more productive

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
I'm a little worried about them giving the ball back to Trey because of his draft commitment. Purdy has obviously been better, but he also didn't have CMC, Kittle, half of an offensive line having more than 1 game experience, or playing in the sunshine. I honestly thing Christian has been the difference maker, but Purdy is also more accurate, has way better pocket awareness and his scrambling is more productive

Added a little to make your true statement even more accurate.
  • dj43

This comes up every week or so. It doesn't make sense. If he is traded, the 49ers would carry about $10M in dead money and have to replace him with a decent-quality backup. Lance's current contract calls for him to be paid $8.5M in 2023. That is only slightly more than what it would cost to sign Tyrod Taylor or Teddy Bridgewater (closest contract comps to Lance).

As to how much Lance bring in trade, there is only speculation. It would certainly be far, FAR, FAR less than the team gave up to draft him.

No, thanks, to all those scenarios. It would be much wiser to keep him around for the balance of his remaining, very affordable contract and let him learn by watching Purdy and learn from Griese and Kyle. At present, we are in the best of situations with a top-tier QB starting and a top prospect for the future backing him up. Stay with that.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

I'm a little worried about them giving the ball back to Trey because of his draft commitment. Purdy has obviously been better, but he also didn't have CMC. I honestly thing Christian has been the difference maker, but Purdy is also more accurate, has way better pocket awareness and his scrambling is more productive

CMC really started consistently lighting it up after Purdy became QB. Lance was so deer in the headlights that I don't think CMC, or Walter Payton for that matter, would have suddenly made him play like Purdy. Purdy is on another level as compared to Lance.
[ Edited by Shemp on Jan 15, 2023 at 2:56 PM ]
CMC really started consistently lighting it up after Purdy became QB. Lance was so deer in the headlights that I don't think CMC, or Walter Payton for that matter, would have suddenly made him play like Purdy. Purdy is on another level as compared to Lance.

No one is claiming Lance played in the rain as good as Purdy has been playing since Jimmy went down. No one. Not sure who you are arguing with.

Let's not forget Purdy been playing without Deebo, who has been sort of the CMC of this offense prior to CMC. Definitely was paid in the off-season as one the top playmakers in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone