Subscribe to our email newsletter for news updates →

There are 182 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Koldo:
I feel bad for Trey cause he seems to be a good kid, but we can't afford to wait for him to finally develop.

It's Brock's team now.

Depends how long the development will take.

Beating the Seahawks is nothing. Beating the Vikings next week is nothing. Most compeent qbs are winning those games with this stacked roster.

It starts in the NFC title game vs Philly.

And then in the Super Bowl.

If Brock puts up 30+ points in both those games against those teams that will be quite impressive and probably necessary if we are to have a chance to win those games. Could easily lose the SB 44-38 to the Chiefa and that is not on Brock if so.
the clearest observation I can muster is a 13 game college player Vs. a 4 year starter, even with the physical intangibles Lance has will have a hard time with the level of opposing defenses,
Lance was exposed in the preseason and even it was reported at practices that his passing was not accurate, so its no surprise Kyle opted to try a Bills style run read option, as much hype that went into that possibility Trey didn't look all that quick and now with a broken foot he may have to really focus on being a pocket passing QB with a few scrambles here and there time will tell if he can even crack the QB1 position the way Purdy is playing now without #13 just falling flat on his face or injury.
Purdy had camp and several weeks to sharpen up his skills against a really good defense before replacing Jimmy and 4 years of collage didn't hurt, just knowing how to prep and study a opponent at that level is a major advantage he was seasoned and it shows, at this point Lance will serve as a capable back up and maybe he can elevate his game, at this point the draft picks and position are meaningless its a done deal they are both on rookie deals and if Purdy gets to the SB its his job as the starter.
Jimmy most likely is gone next season something most everyone thought was happening this season thankfully it didn't, he was a winner and did a great job after he finally got rolling, he will be Purdy's back up if they do make it through the playoffs to the SB its been reported he is working hard to rehab his injured foot.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by mayo49:
We should be able to get a good pick or two and a player, if we trade Trey.

Should be exactly like this last year with Jimmy. Unless you get the high price you want you hold onto him.

I would argue that Lance would have a market, so no, it wouldn't be like last year.

This argument is all silly anyways because Trey won't be on the trading block.
There is no chance the 49ers will trade Lance. What makes a ton of sense is to let them have open competition and the best player start. My guess is that it will be Brock but who knows. Maybe Lance will blow him away in camp and preseason games. I do think Trey will have a market given the many teams that need QBs for the future but not enough to move him.
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Man if the niners just used those picks wasted on trey to shore up the secondary and oline/edge with purdy as qb.

could be one of the worst draft trades ever

1 - who cares? If we move on from Lance but have our long term stud QB drafted in the 7th why does it matter? All that matters is having our guy

2 - purdys success means nothing about lances ability. Even if this is purdys team long term, that has everything to do with Purdy being special, not a knock on trey.
There is plenty of reason to think Brock may be the FQB moving forward, but ZERO reason to hope we trade Lance. The narrative is that Lance isn't worth s**t so we should trade him. But if he wasn't worth s**t, why would any team want him? So we have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers situation. Why not enjoy the depth at QB and luxury of having both on rookie deals for the foreseeable future? Why are these few people so eager to dump him? We AIN'T keeping Jimmy, that what's bothering folks?
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Sure, but quite a number of posters in this thread want to start Trey next season over the great Brock Purdy because Trey need reps.

So true

And if it doesn't work out they can always blame the team for failing him lol

Why would anyone blame "the team"? Who exactly is that? The TEAM is the reason everyone is on this site to begin with. Brainless post with zero thought.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Jan 15, 2023 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by pdc20:
So now Kyle choosed Trey as starter because he had to play him because of the three first round picks...I see that it´s getting better and better on this topic.
It´s Kyle Shanahan we´re talking about. The guy that litterally said "f**k I will put Aiyuk in the doghouse because I don´t like his attitude during training camp and I´m Kyle f**king Shanahan and you will like it!". And Kyle was the guy that wanted Aiyuk!!!!

But hey keep dreaming about this giant conspiracy that Brock Purdy was the best QB in training camp. "It was me Kyle! It was me all along!".
You know there´s a funny thing called improvement. And what is even funnier is that when you´re a young player and specially a rookie you can improve massively during a season. Nick Bosa against Tampa Bay in the first game of the season wasn´t Nick Bosa the best player in the Superbowl even if offensive holdings don´t exist in fourth quarters of Superbowl apparently. Same with Dre Greenlaw that season by the way.

So maybe, just maybe, Brock Purdy learned the game watching from the sidelines. Maybe just maybe he understood more the offense which is really not easy to grasp ask Matt Ryan. And maybe just maybe, Brock Purdy wasn´t the best QB at all in August but is now in January. Weird I know but let´s just believe Kyle and John are some sort of illuminatis that knew that the third stringer was a f**king killer and just wanted to lose games on purpose.
It´s so funny playing in PO mode every year for 10 weeks straight.^^
Lmao at thinking the two situations are comparable in any way whatsoever.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
I feel bad for Trey cause he seems to be a good kid, but we can't afford to wait for him to finally develop.

It's Brock's team now.

Beating the Seahawks is nothing. Beating the Vikings next week is nothing. Most compeent qbs are winning those games with this stacked roster.

If Brock puts up 30+ points in both those games against those teams that will be quite impressive and probably necessary if we are to have a chance to win those games. Could easily lose the SB 44-38 to the Chiefa and that is not on Brock if so.

hahahha

It is Trey Lance

Not Dan Marino

The dude does not have to get into to Canton his rookie season.

Ill do one better

Purdy is the starter next year period even if he does not take another snap this season.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Sure, but quite a number of posters in this thread want to start Trey next season over the great Brock Purdy because Trey need reps.

So true

Why would anyone blame "the team"? Who exactly is that? The TEAM is the reason everyone is on this site to begin with. Brainless post with zero thought.

We were making fun of what genus49 said earlier. Here was the original quote:

Originally posted by genus49:
The team drafted Trey knowing he needed reps to improve. They then sat him as a rookie only playing him when forced by injury and when they played him it was mostly using him as a near fullback.

I mentioned before when you look at Trey's runs vs Seattle when he came in mid game vs his runs when he was a starter they were a lot worse.

On top of it the whole thing this year with Lance starting was "we don't need Trey to do too much the run game, defense and all our talent at WR/TE would help him out"

His one start this year aka his big chance to prove himself Kittle is out. Mitchell gets hurt early. Deebo fumbles in the red zone. Defense commits stupid penalties in key moments and screw up coverage allowing Fields to throw for his 3 good throws and two of them for TDs.

So yes the team failed him. They knew what they were getting and the support system which was supposed to lift him up didn't live up to the billing.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Jan 15, 2023 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Compare the two...Trey vs Zack

And Bledsoe was eventually traded.

Fans who understand football can see the difference. Kind of like the mammoth difference between Kyle Shanahan and Greg Roman.

He wasn't traded right after Superbowl. Only way Trey is dealt is with an offer 9ers can't refuse.

Originally posted by Dshearn:

It's Brock's team now.

hahahha

It is Trey Lance

Not Dan Marino

Ill do one better

Purdy is the starter next year period even if he does not take another snap this season.

We will see about that next year.

Glad Kyle is making the decision and not people on here.

And I'd speculate Kyle's mind is certainly not made up about next year right now as so many others are.

But if he goes with Brock I'm going with Brock too. Esp of he wins the Super Bowl this year.

I'm most pleased that Brock is showing all the idiot Jimmy lovers how limited he really was and how it was HIM who was holding the offense back the whole damn time for years despite their claims to the contrary and others attempts to make this fact known to them.

Thank you, Brock, for unleashing and unlocking the offense to its real potential that your predecessor had zero ability to do yes was still lauded by his cult followers in here.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
There is plenty of reason to think Brock may be the FQB moving forward, but ZERO reason to hope we trade Lance. The narrative is that Lance isn't worth s**t so we should trade him. But if he wasn't worth s**t, why would any team want him? So we have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers situation. Why not enjoy the depth at QB and luxury of having both on rookie deals for the foreseeable future? Why are these few people so eager to dump him? We AIN'T keeping Jimmy, that what's bothering folks?

Teams will trade for the unknown and right now that's where Trey lands on league radars for everyone but this Franchise who has seen him in 2 training camps and preseasons. Teams will also make stupid moves for a QB when they don't have a QB. Trey still has trade value but if we skirt him out for a 3rd season to see him fail again it will diminish what we can get for him.

This is Purdy's team and I'm a Jimmy fan but the kid has something special.
[ Edited by jcs on Jan 15, 2023 at 1:13 PM ]

So true

We were making fun of what genus49 said earlier. Here was the original quote:

Originally posted by genus49:
The team drafted Trey knowing he needed reps to improve. They then sat him as a rookie only playing him when forced by injury and when they played him it was mostly using him as a near fullback.

I mentioned before when you look at Trey's runs vs Seattle when he came in mid game vs his runs when he was a starter they were a lot worse.

On top of it the whole thing this year with Lance starting was "we don't need Trey to do too much the run game, defense and all our talent at WR/TE would help him out"

His one start this year aka his big chance to prove himself Kittle is out. Mitchell gets hurt early. Deebo fumbles in the red zone. Defense commits stupid penalties in key moments and screw up coverage allowing Fields to throw for his 3 good throws and two of them for TDs.

So yes the team failed him. They knew what they were getting and the support system which was supposed to lift him up didn't live up to the billing.

I see. I still don't understand why people feel they have to make fun of any fellow fan here though. Sometimes rival fans come here and they obviously need all the clowning the universe has to offer, but why do fans here feel such a need to argue with fellow fans? This year is so f**king magical, I just wish we could all agree that the San Francisco 49ers are the greatest team in the league and we winning the Super Bowl this year. I'm so excited I don't know whether to s**t or go blind.
Originally posted by jcs:

Teams will trade for the unknown and right now that's where Trey lands on league radars for everyone but this Franchise who has seen him in 2 training camps and preseasons. Teams will also make stupid moves for a QB when they don't have a QB. Trey still has trade value but if we skirt him out for a 3rd season to see him fail again it will diminish what we can get for him.

This is Purdy's team and I'm a Jimmy fan but the kid has something special.

Kyle is so great at developing QBs that we should use that as a strategy for draft capital. Draft low round QBs, have k**e make 'em look like world beaters, then trade them for high draft picks. Kyle could literally use the draft like the stock market.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:

It's Brock's team now.

hahahha

It is Trey Lance

Not Dan Marino

Ill do one better

We will see about that next year.

Glad Kyle is making the decision and not people on here.

And I'd speculate Kyle's mind is certainly not made up about next year right now as so many others are.

But if he goes with Brock I'm going with Brock too. Esp of he wins the Super Bowl this year.

I'm most pleased that Brock is showing all the idiot Jimmy lovers how limited he really was and how it was HIM who was holding the offense back the whole damn time for years despite their claims to the contrary and others attempts to make this fact known to them.

Thank you, Brock, for unleashing and unlocking the offense to its real potential that your predecessor had zero ability to do yes was still lauded by his cult followers in here.

Taking shots at Jimmy in a Trey thread when a Trey lead offense averages 14 ppg.
Share 49ersWebzone