There are 140 users in the forums

2020 49ers Practice Squad Tracker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm confused by the Ford restructure? I see no point in doing that unless they plan to bring someone in or extend a player

Now that the cap saving carries over to the next season, it doesn't hurt as much to create more flexibility this year.

Why can't you restructure his deal next yr? Before the restructure they had flexibility in what they would do with Ford in 2021...if he's only able to play 20% of the snaps again this yr, they could have either cut him (save almost $13M) or restructured/ask to take a pay cut.

Now because of the restructure, they've essentially guaranteed he will be in SF in 2021 regardless of what happens this yr...they've pushed money down the road to free up cash now. I see no point in doing that unless they plan on either signing someone or give a early extension.
Originally posted by Poldarn49:
You cannot restructure a contract more than once a year (at least that was a rule in the previous CBA). Doing it this way, Ford could be restructured just before next season to free up another $9m.

Or if he blows you just cut him...there's $13M in savings to be had.

Constantly restructuring a guy who might not ever be 100% is silly imo. Restructures should be used on reliable players that you know will be a part of the team long term.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
Lol I thought Hasty was going to be picked up and start!

I hope Cyprien signs. PS players can be activated right before kickoff. Bring everyone to the show and be ready to be called to action.

Same thought on my end. Glad Hasty and Hokit made it.
How can these old farts make the PS?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I'm confused by the Ford restructure? I see no point in doing that unless they plan to bring someone in or extend a player

With the cap going down possibly it's the carry over to next year that's important for the resigning of Trent
Agree, take advantage now of the current cap to help next year's cap. They can still restructure Jimmys contract (per AB81) and even have a better cap space for next year, or the week before the end of this October to get a new player via trade (like Emanuel Sanders last year).
  • Mayor
  • Veteran

Dude just won't go away

I didn't know that was possible.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
How can these old farts make the PS?

Covid rules.
What happened to Reynolds?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I thought Cyprien said he wouldn't join a practice squad

Pride can be an ugly thing. Glad he put the ego aside and changed his mind.
This practice squad is better than our 2015 roster

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

With the cap going down possibly it's the carry over to next year that's important for the resigning of Trent
Agree, take advantage now of the current cap to help next year's cap. They can still restructure Jimmys contract (per AB81) and even have a better cap space for next year, or the week before the end of this October to get a new player via trade (like Emanuel Sanders last year).
Or Trent Williams extension will be worked out this year.

The only thing I can think of is their planning on talking some extensions and wanted that flexibility now for the process. Maybe a guy like Juice. Because this pretty much keeps Ford here another year. Which is fine if he can stay healthy. We will see.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Sep 6, 2020 at 11:51 AM ]
Woo-hoo my favorite slow receiver back in PS -- Juan Jennings
Originally posted by 49erF90:

We'll have to see when he's willing to sit and talk. The last we heard was that he wanted to play out this last year of his deal. Makes sense. He hasn't taken a meaningful snap in two seasons and I'm sure wants to maximize his value.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Sep 6, 2020 at 11:55 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by 49erF90:

We'll have to see when he's willing to sit and talk. The last we heard was that he wanted to play out this last year of his deal. Makes sense. He hasn't taken a meaningful snap in two seasons and I'm sure wants to maximize his value.

That makes sense, also has Jadaven Clowny signed yet?
Share 49erswebzone