LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Best draft strategy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by luis1985:
I personally hope they trade down to pick up more picks this year. This draft is deep, and I believe in the 49ers to select quality players if we move down couple of spots. Maybe not flashy names but hopefully many starters that can contribute right away (or in a year most likely).

I'm hoping we upgrade OL, CB, and WR the most in that order. I think and hope we spend multiple picks on these positions. I also believe they'll go DT early as well.

I would actually trade 13 down and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th. I would then trade down 31 as well to pick up an extra pick (maybe 4th or 5th?). Trade a few players for late rounds (4th or 5th for Goodwin, same for Thomas, and one of the RBs).

I'm not sure what player(s) I like but they should at least end up with the following picks:
1st (1) (trade down)
2nd (1) (trade down)
3rd (1) (by trading 13)
4th (2) (By trading 31 and trading a player)
5th (3) (by trading another player)
6th (2) (by trading both 7th rounds to move up)

End up with ten quality players instead of the current seven.

Cosign

Quality AND quantity
[ Edited by SlowDownBoy on Apr 17, 2020 at 12:29 AM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by All22:
I concur with Brent Jones. I'd love to find a way to get Simmons or Chase Young. Either guy puts keeps our D Elite for another 5 years.

I know it won't happen BUT

If we got Chase Young we'd be the #1 D for years and years to come.

Bosa & Young on each end, what a dream for 9er fans and nightmare's for OC's.haha
Chase young would be nice to have but the team won't be able to draft him he'll be long gone most likely

And I like Simmons but it appears he doesn't have a real true position he sort of reminds me of Julian Peterson

As we know Peterson was a good pass rusher in college but was much better in coverage in the pros
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by luis1985:
I personally hope they trade down to pick up more picks this year. This draft is deep, and I believe in the 49ers to select quality players if we move down couple of spots. Maybe not flashy names but hopefully many starters that can contribute right away (or in a year most likely).

I'm hoping we upgrade OL, CB, and WR the most in that order. I think and hope we spend multiple picks on these positions. I also believe they'll go DT early as well.

I would actually trade 13 down and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th. I would then trade down 31 as well to pick up an extra pick (maybe 4th or 5th?). Trade a few players for late rounds (4th or 5th for Goodwin, same for Thomas, and one of the RBs).

I'm not sure what player(s) I like but they should at least end up with the following picks:
1st (1) (trade down)
2nd (1) (trade down)
3rd (1) (by trading 13)
4th (2) (By trading 31 and trading a player)
5th (3) (by trading another player)
6th (2) (by trading both 7th rounds to move up)

End up with ten quality players instead of the current seven.

No. Firstly there is no guarantee that all of your low picks will make it onto the final roster let alone be quality. Generally, the odds are against it.

There is not 10 vacancies on the final roster, so consequently some of your picks will end up playing for other teams.

Whilst nowhere in the draft is guaranteed, the higher picks have a better chance of success and of being an impact player.

Agree. Give JG a burner who can actually catch the ball consistently, along with Deeeebo, Kittle, Bourne,James,Hurd, Taylor all in the mix and add a top OL for protection and time we score more points and time of possession keeping other offenses off the field, both of which would have helped in securing this past SB. If your choice of top offensive players are not on the board and D is then go CB & DT. Sherm is getting slower and slower so a shutdown corner would be great to pick up and a beast to replace Buck would be great to help keep pressure on and disrupt opposing offensive plans. Whether offense or defense, adding a couple more player's of elite talent (to an already solid team) would help tilt the scales in the 9ers favor to where the other team's can't match up with us at every position and we win battles and ultimately the war.

I understand the pov adding quantity for depth as well but depth helped get us to the SB but 1-2 elite players won the SB for KC. Without Mahommes no way in a million years KC wins that SB, or take Hill and Clark off their roster and the 9ers odds to win would have been better for sure. So I think you take a shot at the best elite talents available and hope they pan out because round 2-7's are no guarantee either,it's all a crap shoot. Bosa vs Thomas, Pettis vs Deeeebo, etc,etc.
Originally posted by 91til:
Lotta people overthinking it lol

Anyone who is suggesting drafting a DT at 13 is overthinking it.

We have specific needs on this team. DT is not at the top.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 91til:
Lotta people overthinking it lol

exactly. too many people thinking so far into it their thinking themselves out of our teams biggest needs. i guess some forget sanders is gone. deebo is not a true "#1" WR, an our lack of quality at IOL an CB is why we dont have a 6th trophy. dont overthink your draft, find the best players at your biggest needs an pull the trigger.

that being said i think our best option is to pick up one of those top WRs at 13, trade pick 31 and goodwin/pettis/s thomas for more picks an turn those into 2 second rd picks where we pick up a CB an OG. the rest of the draft is just depth. fills our teams only 3 real needs with quality players and doesnt cost too much.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Chase young would be nice to have but the team won't be able to draft him he'll be long gone most likely

And I like Simmons but it appears he doesn't have a real true position he sort of reminds me of Julian Peterson

As we know Peterson was a good pass rusher in college but was much better in coverage in the pros

Julian Peterson was a borderline star. I still remember the game he played CB, S, LB and DE all in the same game.

A Julian Peterson that runs a 4.3 would be a defensive coordinators dream, a TE eraser, and even the playing field against the running QBs in our division.

If drafting him meant sweeping the Seahawks and Cards every year then it'd be worth it.
[ Edited by All22 on Apr 17, 2020 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Let's see how this defense plays without Buck.
What you want to do is draft the best guy that's available when it's your turn to pick.

-Booger
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Just don't pick a bust. We need an impact player.

This x a million!

Yeah we didn't get rid of Buckner to get a solid player we are trying to get an elite player. Make the pick at 13 and then trade down at 31

I really don't see how this is not the scenario that plays out. If we were still rebuilding I would agree with multiple trade downs but we really need one more great player, especially at the receiver position. Possibly a corner that can make impact plays and if Stanley retires a lineman. It's pretty simple I really think we're going to do this if we're smart. The fact that teams love that fifth year option at the end of the first round makes a lot more sense and we might be able to get a little more value than the chart suggests

get players in day 1 and day 2 of the draft. quality over quantity. put the fear in the opponents and get fans and the team excited.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Take the best receiver at #13

Trade #31 for OBJ

Agreed with taking the best receiver with our first pick. We could then use our other first round pick to trade down allowing us to fill some more holes such as, Ol,CB,DL. Ect.

Not to mention that if they got their receiver at #13 why would they even think of Beckham?
My preference would be a trade down at 13 and 31, depending on the players available at the time of the picks and the type of trade compensation received in return. In looking at general draft philosophy, it depends not just on the first round grades, but also how the team values picks after the first round and into rounds, 2, 3, and 4. If they have a can't miss player with a tremendously high grade who is available at 13, and the grade on that player would be worth foregoing say an extra 2 and 3, then they have to pull the trigger on drafting the player. I'm no GM, but i would think it logically makes sense that if you can draft 3 top 100 players or draft one player at 13, I would take the three players because you are more likely to hit on a star with more picks. The team would also be in a position to pick up more than one starter/contributor. This front office has picked up quality players in every single round of the draft, so more picks would seem to make sense:

Round 1: Bosa, McGlinchy
Round 2: Deebo
Round 3: Fred Warner, Akello Witherspoon, Tarvarius Moore (also Jalen Hurd who I am really excited about but the jury is still out)
Round 4: Wishnowsky (this has been our worst round)
Round 5: Kittle, Greenlaw, Trent Taylor, DJ Reed
Round 6: DJ Jones, Justin Skule
Round 7: Richie James, Julian Taylor, Adrian Colbert
Undrafted Free Agents:

As a final note, I know a lot of people on the zone really want a WR. I get it, it's a sexy position to pick. I am not against picking a WR, if the player has the appropriate grade. But, I firmly believe in drafting best player available in at least the first three rounds. I do not believe in targeting a position - this is how teams get into trouble. Now, if the grade is the same, take the position of need. We don't need a safety, but if you think Earl Thomas is there, the team must pick the safety. I would not take a WR, Corner, or OL at 13 just to take the position - the player should be the BPA no matter what. The only position I would not apply this rule to is QB, unless you believed the QB is better than Jimmy.
Originally posted by SD49er:
My preference would be a trade down at 13 and 31, depending on the players available at the time of the picks and the type of trade compensation received in return. In looking at general draft philosophy, it depends not just on the first round grades, but also how the team values picks after the first round and into rounds, 2, 3, and 4. If they have a can't miss player with a tremendously high grade who is available at 13, and the grade on that player would be worth foregoing say an extra 2 and 3, then they have to pull the trigger on drafting the player. I'm no GM, but i would think it logically makes sense that if you can draft 3 top 100 players or draft one player at 13, I would take the three players because you are more likely to hit on a star with more picks. The team would also be in a position to pick up more than one starter/contributor. This front office has picked up quality players in every single round of the draft, so more picks would seem to make sense:

Round 1: Bosa, McGlinchy
Round 2: Deebo
Round 3: Fred Warner, Akello Witherspoon, Tarvarius Moore (also Jalen Hurd who I am really excited about but the jury is still out)
Round 4: Wishnowsky (this has been our worst round)
Round 5: Kittle, Greenlaw, Trent Taylor, DJ Reed
Round 6: DJ Jones, Justin Skule
Round 7: Richie James, Julian Taylor, Adrian Colbert
Undrafted Free Agents:

As a final note, I know a lot of people on the zone really want a WR. I get it, it's a sexy position to pick. I am not against picking a WR, if the player has the appropriate grade. But, I firmly believe in drafting best player available in at least the first three rounds. I do not believe in targeting a position - this is how teams get into trouble. Now, if the grade is the same, take the position of need. We don't need a safety, but if you think Earl Thomas is there, the team must pick the safety. I would not take a WR, Corner, or OL at 13 just to take the position - the player should be the BPA no matter what. The only position I would not apply this rule to is QB, unless you believed the QB is better than Jimmy.

I understand your reasoning; however, in your example, if a safety is on the board and let's say he's graded at a 9.0 on a 1-10 scale and we have a safety currently on the team that is graded at a 7.5 or 8.0 and there is a sexy WR that's graded at a 8.5 on the board and our best WR is 8.5 or below why would we draft a safety, that we really don't need in that position but we could really upgrade and compliment Deeboooo & Kittle, Bourne, Hurd at the WR position?

Another scenario; Do we take the best RB in the draft if he's the best player available at 13 or a CB who is 5th best CB in the draft at #13? I'll take the CB all day, we have more than enough guys who can deliver @ RB.

I would not even want Burrow if he fell to us, other than as crazy draft cap/pick exchange, because JG is a proven QB, and we don't need a QB so just because a guy is there I don't think you draft him automatically when you can grab an upgrade in areas of greater need.
13-take top OT
trade 31
Share 49ersWebzone