LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 188 users in the forums

Best draft strategy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ToryNixon:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Anyone who is suggesting drafting a DT at 13 is overthinking it.

We have specific needs on this team. DT is not at the top.

Let's see how this defense plays without Buck.

The defensive line is currently a strength of the team.....true or false?

Falsh.. Bosa and Armstead are the only quality starters.Thomas will not draw double teams. The rest of the dline are quality backups. Ford is a yr older. Gotta get Bosa and Fred Warner some help with a monster in the middle.

I think Jones would be a starter and he played great when healthy. I am of the opinion that DT is a lower need and that at 13, it seems like either a WR/OT/Trade down would be more appropriate. But if it happens, then Kinlaw would at least provide value.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ToryNixon:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Anyone who is suggesting drafting a DT at 13 is overthinking it.

We have specific needs on this team. DT is not at the top.

Let's see how this defense plays without Buck.

The defensive line is currently a strength of the team.....true or false?

Falsh.. Bosa and Armstead are the only quality starters.Thomas will not draw double teams. The rest of the dline are quality backups. Ford is a yr older. Gotta get Bosa and Fred Warner some help with a monster in the middle.

Ford (when healthy), Bosa, Jones, and Armstead are very good starters. Blair and Thomas are good depth pieces. We spend most of our time in 4-2-5 formations. It's a need, but do we need to prioritize the position over CB, WR, and OL? Unless it's BPA, I think we prioritize a diff. position if the player rank is the same (e.g. Kinlaw same as Jeudy same as Wirfs).
BPA
Originally posted by English:
BPA

THIS

Imagine if we would have traded down for "Value" last year? I think we need to walk away with two impact player at #13 & #31!
Don't take offensive tackle at 13 unless you know Joe Staley is retiring. The point being that this player will be on the bench the whole year unless there is an injury.

Niners are in a win now mode and need immediate starters.

The preseason will be shortened and less time to develop rookies, so immediate starters a must.
Originally posted by dwy621:
Don't take offensive tackle at 13 unless you know Joe Staley is retiring. The point being that this player will be on the bench the whole year unless there is an injury.

Niners are in a win now mode and need immediate starters.

The preseason will be shortened and less time to develop rookies, so immediate starters a must.

I'm assuming you know that all fans are talking about drafting a guy who is an OT for when Joe retires, but for the next couple yrs plays OG. The IOL is weak this yr and there are half a dozen OTs going in first round probably. Yes the guy is a tackle, but we want him initially to bolster the right side of the OL at RG.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by 91til:
also, I think among fans there's an underlying fear of picking a bust with a high pick, so people would (in the hypothetical) rather move down for more chances, than be "married" to a high pick in case it doesn't work out. It's actually sort of a logical fallacy IMO (that more, lower picks is always preferable) but that's arguable, I guess

If we can hit on those picks at key spots, we are back in business. Later picks are cool but legends generally are first rounders.

Except in rd 5 when we got Kittle, and TT, and rd 6 or 7 DJ Jones. I can't wait for rd 5.
John Lynch & Kyle Shanahan's Draft Strategy:

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Build from the trenches.

"Breed & Bred Elite Linemen"
The league is in-need of an extinct group of beasts.

Draft OLs and DLs in the 1st round every year. You have 5 years to use their services but can trade them also after 3 or 4 years for 1st round picks when we can't afford them anymore alas Buckner. But if they're elite then sign them to a LT deal after 4 or 5 years. For example, if Bosa stays elite throughout 3 or 4 years then sign him to a LT deal, do it for every position on the line OL & DL and ride on rookie deals for the good to great ones that can get us a 1st round in return to a trade. We'll have at least 2 first round picks a year if it works. We can use one of them on a skill player to if he's a cannot miss star. If they miss on a 1st round player, the least we could get is a complimentary pick or a mid to lower rd picks on a trade.
An elite OL will make everything goes, sames goes for an elite DL group. Think of flag football or 7-on-7, everything always works because there's no pressure on the QB. Eventually, someone is going to break open no matter what.
KS don't need star players for his system to shine, all he need is a QB like Jimmy G and TIME. He makes 2nd rounders and lower rd skill players looks good to great alas Kittle, Juice and so forth, most of our RBs are UDFAs. An Elite OL 1st round talents across the board can give him that time. Same goes for defense, everything works if our explosive elite DL is unblockable. Disrupts their timing in everything they do.

Iron sharpens iron. 1st round talented DL facing a 1st round talented OL every day in practice and then face their opponents for 3 hours should be a piece of cake.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
We were in perfect position to really load up to keep cupboards stocked for years to come. Not saying we can't keep this train rolling for years but the margin of error has dramatically decreased.

Love all 3 guys we got count Trent but so far...... we did not maximize our opportunities IMO

I wonder if john could use the rest of todays drsft picks to trade for a young center with upside...

Share 49ersWebzone