LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Best draft strategy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What do you guys think would be the best draft strategy for this up coming draft? I personally hope we trade down from 13, unless someone is there at 13, that absolutely should not be there, other wise I would trade down and get more picks in rounds 2-4. To me CB is a huge priority with Sherman+Witherspoon both being a FA after 2020, along with K'Waun Williams.
Depends. I think the roster is fairly stacked and in consequence am not as desperate to trade down as some. It depends on which players are available at #13 and also on what we get offered to trade down.

Whilst our cb's are eligible for FA after this season, if it is played, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. They could be re-signed or other FAs could be brought in. So not necessarily a huge priority.

It depends.
I could imagine they hit #13 and only one of the top three WR's are left which could leverage a trade a few places back where they could still take one of the two top 3 corners, either Hernderson or Diggs and get a second or third rounder out of it along with the later first. Then, they still have #31 and maybe an extra pick on the second day.
Witherspoon being an FA in 2020 is a priority issue?

#13 : I would trade down from only a few spots if a top WR + OL + CB we're coveting is still around
I would only trade up to #10 if we covet just one of the three top WR and he is still available and we see him as a game changer

#31 trade down and again from that early 2nd round to acquire a 2nd and two 3rd this year
I wouldn't trade up, and certainly not for a receiver. It's a deep draft.
Take the best receiver at #13

Trade #31 for OBJ
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Apr 13, 2020 at 10:32 AM ]
  • thl408
I'm not a fan of using #13 on a WR if it's supposedly a deep WR class. Not downplaying the need for a WR, just don't think it needs to be at #13. I'd be fine with trading out of #13, move down to 20 something overall, get a day 2 pick. No idea if that works out value wise.
#20 something
round 2 pick
day 3 picks
That should be a rookie class we can get excited about.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Here's where I see it:

Top concerns -
- OL is an issue (Staley's retirement rumors, Richburg's recovery, turnstile at RG - Fusco, Person, Compton)
- WR is an issue (Hurd and Taylor's health, Pettis's bust status)
- CB is an issue (Sherman's age and hammy issues, Witherspoon's inconsistency, is Moseley a full-time starter?)

Moderate concerns -
- Interior DL is an issue (is Thomas ready to start full-time at 3T? Street is unproven. Day has departed. Buckner was traded)
- EDGE depth is lacking (Ford's chronic knee issue, Blair's recovery)
- TE weapon behind Kittle (Dwelley is a nice role player, but is he a #2? Only 3 TEs on the roster currently. Lost blocking TE in Toilolo)

Low concerns -
- RB is in flux long-term (Coleman has 1 yr left, McKinnon injury concerns, Breida fumbling and pass blocking issues)
- SS depth (Tartt on his last year, Harris is very up and down)

---

WRs and CBs are fairly deep in this draft. There's 4 blue chip OLs in this draft, then an okay amount of middle talent.

My goal would be to get Wirfs, Wills, or Thomas at #13 if available. Otherwise, Lamb, Ruggs, or Jeudy. If none or multiple are on the board, trade back to collect more day 2 picks to address all of the top and most of the moderate concerns.
Trading up is NOT an option. Niners traded Buckner for two reasons, cap flexibility and draft capital. There is no way the Niners should waste one/either/both of those things in the FIRST year.

Pick#13 - Best player available on the Niners board. Top needs are at WR, DL, OL or a CB in that order. If none of the Niners TOP prospects in those positions of need are there, trade down. Goal should be a 2020 first round pick and at least one day 2 pick.

Pick#31 - Definite trade down pick. Usually, this is where teams come up for a QB prospect and get the 5th year option as a first round pick. If no QB is available, need to sell teams on a shot at the 2nd tier of OT's in Cleveland or J. Jones. Goal should be a early 2nd round pick and 1-2 picks on day 2 or 3.

After that, best player available with them looking into a third TE, backup SS, an EDGE rusher, RB or doubling down at WR.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Apr 13, 2020 at 11:06 AM ]

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Take the best receiver at #13

Trade #31 for OBJ

Agreed with taking the best receiver with our first pick. We could then use our other first round pick to trade down allowing us to fill some more holes such as, Ol,CB,DL. Ect.
WR always become available (Hopkins, Diggs, OBJ, etc). Having a QB and keeping him upright is still the number one predictor of success in the NFL. Pass rushers and protectors are always the greatest return on win share. As long as I have a QB of the present and future I will draft in the trenches 9/10 unless the talent dictates an extreme BPA.

If i was Lynch I would hope for Wirfs/Thomas/Wills @ 13 and Ruiz @ 31.

I would love to have the next decade say Jimmy is my guy and have him behind LT: Thomas, C: Ruiz, RT: Mcglinchey. Stong Shanny schemed run game and O line makes this offense good enough
Originally posted by GEEK:
Here's where I see it:

Top concerns -
- OL is an issue (Staley's retirement rumors, Richburg's recovery, turnstile at RG - Fusco, Person, Compton)
- WR is an issue (Hurd and Taylor's health, Pettis's bust status)
- CB is an issue (Sherman's age and hammy issues, Witherspoon's inconsistency, is Moseley a full-time starter?)

Moderate concerns -
- Interior DL is an issue (is Thomas ready to start full-time at 3T? Street is unproven. Day has departed. Buckner was traded)
- EDGE depth is lacking (Ford's chronic knee issue, Blair's recovery)
- TE weapon behind Kittle (Dwelley is a nice role player, but is he a #2? Only 3 TEs on the roster currently. Lost blocking TE in Toilolo)

Low concerns -
- RB is in flux long-term (Coleman has 1 yr left, McKinnon injury concerns, Breida fumbling and pass blocking issues)
- SS depth (Tartt on his last year, Harris is very up and down)

---

WRs and CBs are fairly deep in this draft. There's 4 blue chip OLs in this draft, then an okay amount of middle talent.

My goal would be to get Wirfs, Wills, or Thomas at #13 if available. Otherwise, Lamb, Ruggs, or Jeudy. If none or multiple are on the board, trade back to collect more day 2 picks to address all of the top and most of the moderate concerns.

Excellent post!

IMO, it all depends on who is left at #13 when we pick.

If Kinlaw or one of the top Tackles are there I certainly would be fine w/that.

I wouldn't use the pick on a WR or a CB.

If we trade down from #13 then I'd hope it isn't too far down.
Depends on the board of course. I prefer the pick at 13, trade down from 31.
I'm hoping Kinlaw falls to #13...or one of the top OT's. Lynch should pull the trigger on one of them. If the guys they want the most are gone, then I'd say he'd be wise to trade down to get more picks. He'd still have two 1st rounders, plus a 2nd and maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder. I really don't believe Lynch will draft any of the 3 WR's expected to go early in the 1st rd. The DL hole created by the Buckner trade is huge...and must be filled. If Kinlaw's gone, a trade down could still land one of the top DT's, like Madubuike, Blacklock or Davidson. The strategy is to fill the DT gap and prepare for Staley's retirement with a top OT. Particularly if Lynch trades out of #13, he'll also have legit options to get a good WR, CB, interior OL, TE and whatever other positions they feel they need. Beyond that, Lynch could garner a couple of other picks by trading Goodwin, Breida and ???
Share 49ersWebzone