There are 285 users in the forums

Best draft strategy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
All I know is WR or bust at 13
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Apr 13, 2020 at 7:02 PM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MTninerfan:
Why is there so much love for trading out of 13?! There are maybe 15-16 true blue-chip prospects in this draft and y'all want to trade out of the excellent position the DeFo trade got us in!!! I don't care who it is, but you take one of those top talents at 13 (that we shouldn't even have a chance at!!!!) then celebrate! Our roster is too good from top to bottom to be giving up great position for another pick. Pick 31 is the perfect spot to trade back and acquire another pick. That is where you are in the 2nd-3rd tier type of players where the quality drop-off isn't near as dramatic as top 15, so quantity is better than quality.

In this draft, the best non-QB offensive player might not go in the top 15 or even the first round. Could be lots of Terry McLaurin's this year.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
All I know is WR or bust at 13

I wasn't feeling it but based on what Reagor said Kyle said to him about "we only threw the ball 8 times in the NFC Championship game and we wanna change that", I think they have to be going WR. They might even double up again. Something like Lamb at #13 then a guard/center who's excellent in pass pro and Reagor on Day 2 after trading back.
Build from the trenches.

"Breed & Bred Elite Linemen"
The league is in-need of an extinct group of beasts.

Draft OLs and DLs in the 1st round every year. You have 5 years to use their services but can trade them also after 3 or 4 years for 1st round picks when we can't afford them anymore alas Buckner. But if they're elite then sign them to a LT deal after 4 or 5 years. For example, if Bosa stays elite throughout 3 or 4 years then sign him to a LT deal, do it for every position on the line OL & DL and ride on rookie deals for the good to great ones that can get us a 1st round in return to a trade. We'll have at least 2 first round picks a year if it works. We can use one of them on a skill player to if he's a cannot miss star. If they miss on a 1st round player, the least we could get is a complimentary pick or a mid to lower rd picks on a trade.
An elite OL will make everything goes, sames goes for an elite DL group. Think of flag football or 7-on-7, everything always works because there's no pressure on the QB. Eventually, someone is going to break open no matter what.
KS don't need star players for his system to shine, all he need is a QB like Jimmy G and TIME. He makes 2nd rounders and lower rd skill players looks good to great alas Kittle, Juice and so forth, most of our RBs are UDFAs. An Elite OL 1st round talents across the board can give him that time. Same goes for defense, everything works if our explosive elite DL is unblockable. Disrupts their timing in everything they do.

Iron sharpens iron. 1st round talented DL facing a 1st round talented OL every day in practice and then face their opponents for 3 hours should be a piece of cake.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Apr 14, 2020 at 1:50 AM ]

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Witherspoon being an FA in 2020 is a priority issue?

We pick up an elite talent at 13 and we trade down at 31 because teams get desperate to trade back into round one for that fifth year option. That makes way more sense
We trade down
We trade down
We trade down

We draft guys 3 rounds later than their talent because they have an ACL
We draft guys 3 rounds later than their talent because they have an ACL

Knock, knock, knock

Good evening Mr. Baalke, it's time for your medication.

[ Edited by wysiwyg on Apr 14, 2020 at 2:10 AM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Build from the trenches.

Draft OLs and DLs in the 1st round every year. You have 5 years to use their services but can trade them also after 3 or 4 years for 1st round picks when we can't afford them anymore alas Buckner. But if they're elite then sign them to a LT deal after 4 or 5 years. For example, if Bosa stays elite throughout 3 or 4 years then sign him to a LT deal, do it for every position on the line OL & DL and ride on rookie deals for the good to great ones that can get us a 1st round in return to a trade. We'll have at least 2 first round picks a year if it works. We can use one of them on a skill player to if he's a cannot miss star. If they miss on a 1st round player, the least we could get is a complimentary pick or a mid to lower rd picks on a trade.
An elite OL will make everything goes, sames goes for an elite DL group. Think of flag football or 7-on-7, everything always works because there's no pressure on the QB. Eventually, someone is going to break open no matter what.
KS don't need star players for his system to shine, all he need is a QB like Jimmy G and TIME. He makes 2nd rounders and lower rd skill players looks good to great alas Kittle, Juice and so forth, most of our RBs are UDFAs. An Elite OL 1st round talents across the board can give him that time. Same goes for defense, everything works if our explosive elite DL is unblockable. Disrupts their timing in everything they do.

Iron sharpens iron. 1st round talented DL facing a 1st round talented OL every day in practice and then face their opponents for 3 hours should be a piece of cake.

Solid post!

Many forget that during all those Super Bowl wins the Pats had - they had an excellent OLine in every one of them.

I don't have the stats or the time to look them up but I'd bet that TB was hardly sacked at all - especially against the Rams.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Build from the trenches.

Solid post!

Many forget that during all those Super Bowl wins the Pats had - they had an excellent OLine in every one of them.

I don't have the stats or the time to look them up but I'd bet that TB was hardly sacked at all - especially against the Rams.
Agree, solid post. With a good offensive line giving a good quarterback time plays will happen on the ground and in the air. And with a good defensive line causing disruption nothing can happen offensively.

These are adult posts. It's up to the adults to tell the children that they should drink their milk and not eat candy. That while candy tastes great, milk is best for their long term health.

It's up to Lynch and Shanahan to make the adult decision for the franchise and not succumb to and appease the mob.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Build from the trenches.

Solid post!

Agree, solid post. With a good offensive line giving a good quarterback time plays will happen on the ground and in the air. And with a good defensive line causing disruption nothing can happen offensively.

These are adult posts. It's up to the adults to tell the children that they should drink their milk and not eat candy. That while candy tastes great, milk is best for their long term health.

It's up to Lynch and Shanahan to make the adult decision for the franchise and not succumb to and appease the mob.

You NAILED it!
First 2 picks on offense. Whichever Kyle likes best

Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Build from the trenches.

Solid post!

You NAILED it!

There are five OT in this draft that are rated "A+" prospects according to Draft Scout (one of the better sites). That means that one of them will fall to the Niners at 13. For awhile, I was advocating trading down from both 13 and 31 because it is a deep draft and the team could pick up some starters in rounds 2 and 3 but now, I'm all in on getting one of those premier OTs. Good teams generally don't get a chance to draft such quality prospects. Also, from a longevity standpoint, if the Niners can get their LT for the next 10-12 years now, I say that would be a great trade for Buck.

I do think the team should trade back from 31 unless....Ruiz is still on the board. Then I say take him too and the OL will be in great shape for the foreseeable future.

Cheers!
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm hoping Kinlaw falls to #13...or one of the top OT's. Lynch should pull the trigger on one of them. If the guys they want the most are gone, then I'd say he'd be wise to trade down to get more picks. He'd still have two 1st rounders, plus a 2nd and maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder. I really don't believe Lynch will draft any of the 3 WR's expected to go early in the 1st rd. The DL hole created by the Buckner trade is huge...and must be filled. If Kinlaw's gone, a trade down could still land one of the top DT's, like Madubuike, Blacklock or Davidson. The strategy is to fill the DT gap and prepare for Staley's retirement with a top OT. Particularly if Lynch trades out of #13, he'll also have legit options to get a good WR, CB, interior OL, TE and whatever other positions they feel they need. Beyond that, Lynch could garner a couple of other picks by trading Goodwin, Breida and ???

Good post, Corva. A couple things.

Keeping in mind that #13 pick is really the 9th best NON -QB pick in the draft. In this draft that is a super starter. OL/ CB, DT/ WR in that order for me.

As for trading down from the 9th best non QB pick, I would do that only if we could slide down a couple spots and still get our guy that KS/JL want, and pickup another pick further down. But if we traded down just a couple spots (and still got our guy) , that equates to just 100 pts on the draft eval scale, and that is 4th pick in rd 4...not as good as i thot.

Now if we trade down to 20 from 13, you still are looking at 16th best non QB pick in draft, and getting 300 pts. But going down 7 spots isn't likely to get us the guy we really wanted. So basically we need to stay pretty close to #13 if we are going to get the one guy KS and JL have to have.

Honestly in this position, last yr, (2nd and 3rd picks), kyle went fug buck, and picked two WRs. Man i hope he doesn't do that again. Our greatest needs are OL and DL and there will be a stud of either at #13 maybe down to #15. Ok, I'll take the 4th pick in rd 4 and then sweeten that pick with a rd 5 pick and move into rd 3.

Almost by necessity, we have to trade down a bit at #31 (with the 5 yr sugar benefit), and maybe that gets us a few more points than the chart. Matter of fact our pick at 13 , if we drop only 2 slots to #15, still get our guy (Ol/DL/CB/WR), that pick may be worth more than just 100 pts in that if one of the 3 WRs is there, that should be worth more than chart value. So maybe John twists somebody's nose and gets blood out of turnip...ie a 2 slot drop for more than 100 pts (due to either Ruggs, Jeudy, or Lamb being there). I could see that.

Or we could go wholesale drop into 2nd round and collect 2, 3 or 4 players in the range between #31 and #151. There is stil depth after that but this draft is deep in talent thru the first 150 picks. So maybe that is the move. IDK, but at #31 we get a top flite starter. Trading down for 3 picks in next 120 , might make more sense if there are a handful of guys kyle/John really want;
Just don't pick a bust. We need an impact player.
Build from the trenches.

Solid post!

Very true about the Pats, and the two SB losses they had was from the Giants who had an elite DL.
Share 49ersWebzone