LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

We lost the game on a few things, none were defensive related:

1. Their special teams dominated, ours was weak. Blocked kick, ball downed at around the 1, etc. They make a 49 yarder in the mud.
2. Giving them a short field on a fumble early on when we had the momentum.
3. We didn't convert when it mattered the most. Failed on 4 and 1, making it would have eaten up clock and likely sealed a victory. Blocked kick to end the half.
[ Edited by Niners_D on Dec 2, 2019 at 10:15 AM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by genus49:
I don't give a sh*t where he's ranked on the year. We're talking about that specific play. And FYI since you don't seem to bother watching the games before commenting on them, some "fumbles" are given to the QB on the RB exchange, botched snap...some things that aren't straight up fumbles by the QB.

???

That play is indicative of some of his issues. He held the ball too long on that particular play. Should have thrown it away or just take the sack early. He was basically in the red zone. Have to have awareness.

Why would you even bother posting if you don't care to look at the stats? Can't just post on emotion like this.

We'll have to see the coaches film on this but IMO it's one of those plays where it can be crapped on in hindsight but fact is it didn't look like a terrible strip sack. There are times QBs are just sloppy with the ball and it gets punched out. There are times guys are trying to make a play and a defender makes a great play...I put this in the later.

He makes a bad throw into coverage and maybe it gets picked. Is that better than the fumble now? Is it better in hindsight because we know the play resulted in a fumble recovery for the Ravens?

We've seen Jimmy escape would be sacks before to make big plays down the field, if he does that there are we complaining? Do we really want him to just fall on his ass at the first sign of pressure? Sure it would be more likely to protect the ball but how many potential big plays would it remove?

It sucks and maybe in those conditions he would've been better off just taking the sack but we've seen enough crazy plays with QBs escaping would be sacks to make big plays that I'm ok with him trying to make a play on 3rd and long. Obviously I hope if he does try to make that play he ensures the ball is secure.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I'll look for that in your posts. Not trying to fool anyone, I put it in my op that I didn't see the game.

Anyway, I'll watch the game and if it gives me a totally different take I'll post it here.

I did see the Jackson highlights, and it looked like we didn't do very well with our plan or execution.

I didn't expect that after all the tape/knowledge we have on roman.

We win or lose based on our d so we need to get it fixed.

See I don't get the tape on Roman stuff...this is a totally different staff then when Harbs was here.

There's nothing to fix imo. It's just really f**king hard to defend that offense. The great BB had a much harder time. Is what it is
wide open TE's was most frustrating for me to watch
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by okdkid:
But he wasn't falsely using stats. He said Garoppolo has an issue with ball security and he objectively used stats to reinforce that opinion. Nothing about what he posted was misleading, providing a false narrative or disingenuous in any way.

It's the overall subject of the thread. Regarding using stats to lead to our defense playing like s**t yesterday.

My point wirh JG is you can find any sort of stat to backup what you want to push and precisely why you shouldn't (solely) use it to proclaim if something is good/bad. Watch the game.

FWIW I don't think JG played very well yesterday.

The only stats about jimmy g were the fumbles. That's all the stats were about. I'm not taking it anyplace else. Those are his nfl stats. Tied 7th in fumbles, and 4th in fumbles lost. I am quoting his fumble stats to make a point about his fumbling. Nothing else.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I thought the defense played f**king lights out. We held the leagues best offense, who had trampled the rams, patriots, and Seahawks, to 20 points! If we hadn't fumbled in our own redzone-ish we may have held them to less.

Against an offense like that, you have to pick your poison. We picked Lamar. We decided to try to stuff Ingram. Initially I thought that was odd, but given the proper context of how easily teams have been running up our gut, I think it was the right call. Could you imagine if we decided to sell out against Lamar?? Ingram would have crushed us up the middle, and once we decided to try to slow him down, Lamar would get going.

Again, defense played at a very high level. Loved the hits on Lamar, even the late ones. With as much protection as QBs have now, he has a f**king crazy unfair advantage.

Defense played great. Lock the thread

Said just about the same thing back on page 3. Glad I'm not the only one who saw it that way. Defense did enough to slow ravens offense down and give our offense a chance.

Offense came up a little short. Won't get too far into this but refs calling bs roughing the passer calls and their db's holding our receivers for most of the game didn't help.
[ Edited by BigBossBosa97 on Dec 2, 2019 at 10:24 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners_D:
We lost the game on a few things, none were defensive related:

1. Their special teams dominated, ours was weak. Blocked kick, ball downed at around the 1, etc. They make a 49 yarder in the mud.
2. Giving them a short field on a fumble early on when we had the momentum.
3. We didn't convert when it mattered the most. Failed on 4 and 1, making it would have eaten up clock and likely sealed a victory. Blocked kick to end the half.

we still had to play the whole game but man. we did exactly what we wanted. score first. take the crowd out. get a stop. take the crowd out and then gave it right back to them and took away all we had done. no hating on jimmy.. it was just tough. hats off to their kicker who is better than ours. they did a great job with kittle., i agree with you about 4th and one and like wilson did in ot.. big players make big plays and their qb did
See I don't get the tape on Roman stuff...this is a totally different staff then when Harbs was here.

There's nothing to fix imo. It's just really f**king hard to defend that offense. The great BB had a much harder time. Is what it is

No, on this point I disagree. Roman got run out of here, and Buffalo, on a rail because the tape caught up with his gimmicky sets. I admit running with 4.3 squirrel is difficult, but we have good tackling, light, defensive personnel so we should be equipped to hem jackson in space and gang tackle him.

A lot of times, it didn't happen from what I saw.
Originally posted by BigBossBosa97:
I thought the defense played f**king lights out. We held the leagues best offense, who had trampled the rams, patriots, and Seahawks, to 20 points! If we hadn't fumbled in our own redzone-ish we may have held them to less.

Against an offense like that, you have to pick your poison. We picked Lamar. We decided to try to stuff Ingram. Initially I thought that was odd, but given the proper context of how easily teams have been running up our gut, I think it was the right call. Could you imagine if we decided to sell out against Lamar?? Ingram would have crushed us up the middle, and once we decided to try to slow him down, Lamar would get going.

Again, defense played at a very high level. Loved the hits on Lamar, even the late ones. With as much protection as QBs have now, he has a f**king crazy unfair advantage.

Said just about the same thing back on page 3. Glad I'm not the only one who saw it that way. Defense did enough to slow ravens offense down and give our offense a chance.

Offense came up a little short. Won't get too far into this but refs calling bs roughing the passer calls and their db's holding our receivers for most of the game didn't help.

I agree...but I think generally the refs understood that this was a playoff caliber game so they seemed to have a 'let them play' mindset for a very physical game. (Outside of protecting Lamar).
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I saw the highlights, read the stats, and was alarmed.

I agree with you that we did a much better job against Baltimore than anyone else in the last 6 weeks.

Problem is, it's not good enough.

Our D has to do better to beat them.

And I'm pretty sure they can once they correct the mistakes of this game.

We can't rely on our offense to be perfect. they won't be.

They don't quite have the people running shanny's scheme's.

Totally disagree.

That D held them to 10 pts when not given a TO.

Our offense NEEDS to be better. Plain and simple

I agree...but I think generally the refs understood that this was a playoff caliber game so they seemed to have a 'let them play' mindset for a very physical game. (Outside of protecting Lamar).

I am in no way shape or form blaming the loss on the no calls. Especially because we had a chance to go up late in the game and failed to convert on 4th and 1. That is strictly on the offense. Just thought I would throw that observation out there because I haven't seen anyone else mention it.
Totally disagree.

That D held them to 10 pts when not given a TO.

Our offense NEEDS to be better. Plain and simple

Well, that would be nice. I just don't expect it to happen. We have a better chance of blowing up the ravens o concepts than having our o play perfect. IMO.
  • thl408
Originally posted by cciowa:
i think both defenses were very good. we had to many mistakes and sure we let jackson get 100 yards but big players make big plays and he did at the end of the game. these were the two best teams in the nfl before kickoff and they still are, if the saints whup us then i may think different but we saw the team respond after the hawk game,

I think SF bit on the option way too much in the 1st half. There were times when AA/Bosa had the RB wrapped up at the mesh point, but Lamar kept it and took off. They cleaned it up a little in the 2nd half.

IMO you need to let him read that as a handoff. Let the RBs try to beat you up the middle vs him getting put on the edge for 15+...he wants to get our DE off the edge for a free run. He's gonna beat any LB/DB one on one. Especially in the rain.

I thought overall he was underwhelming as a passer and I think as more film comes out he will get exposed.

Their D isn't anything special. They've had the luxury of playing with a massive lead most games.

This was a good learning experience. I'm expecting a angry SF team vs NO

I believe the plan was to have Jackson keep as opposed to having Ingram consistently get yards on the dive. Kyle mentioned in his post game presser something about Ingram always getting yards on the dive. Perhaps the thinking was, "are they really going to have Jackson run the ball 20 times?"

I am in no way shape or form blaming the loss on the no calls. Especially because we had a chance to go up late in the game and failed to convert on 4th and 1. That is strictly on the offense. Just thought I would throw that observation out there because I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

No worries, I didn't take it that way.
Option 4: We did the best job against the Ravens for any team in months. They are a good team with an atypical offense; no one is gonna shut them down completely.
Share 49ersWebzone