LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
From what you saw

You make it sound like no one else has film on Roman's offense expect SF. It's not really a gimmicky offense IMO.an It's varit of the Wing T, which has been around forever.
As there's more film on how Lamar runs this scheme, there will be more tells on how to defend it. IMO it's not a sustainable offense and is a short-term win now scheme. good for Baltimore they're getting the love and rightfully so. They're playing winning football. They'd better enjoy it now because it's not gonna last unless Jackson becomes a better pocket passing QB.

We have all of roman's playbooks in a closet. Salah schemed against him for 2 years. We have 4 years of practice tape from him. That's why we are in a special position to kick his ass.

Variant of a wing t is a gimmick scheme in the nfl because the athletes flow to the ball so much faster than college it can't be sustained at this level.

The only reason its successful is that no one prepares for it, so it catches people by surprise. Hence, gimmick. I agree with with your entire last paragraph.
*Disclosure*
By the way, I have not seen every game roman has OC'd. Hope it's ok to make generalizations about him.

Shanahan did call it a wild cat himself.
I saw the highlights, read the stats, and was alarmed.

I agree with you that we did a much better job against Baltimore than anyone else in the last 6 weeks.

Problem is, it's not good enough.

Our D has to do better to beat them.

And I'm pretty sure they can once they correct the mistakes of this game.

We can't rely on our offense to be perfect. they won't be.

They don't quite have the people running shanny's scheme's.

Totally disagree.

That D held them to 10 pts when not given a TO.

Our offense NEEDS to be better. Plain and simple

Give it up. The 85 Bears defense wouldn't satisfy some fans.
We have all of roman's playbooks in a closet.

HA oh we do. Some secret offense that only SF has locked away in their closet. got it.

. Salah schemed against him for 2 years.

I'm sorry where was Saleh a defensive coordinator prior to here? I must have missed that.

*Disclosure*
By the way, I have not seen every game roman has OC'd. Hope it's ok to make generalizations about him.

Yeah that's clearly the same as saying our defense play like s**t when you didn't even watch the game apples and oranges there.

Variant of a wing t is a gimmick scheme in the nfl because the athletes flow to the ball so much faster than college it can't be sustained at this level.

Correct it's not sustainable, that's why Baltimore fans need to enjoy it while it lasts.
Originally posted by thl408:
For real.
Pregame: "rain will help BAL"
Postgame: "rain hurt BAL"

I wonder if he remembers anything he writes
Originally posted by thl408:
I believe the plan was to have Jackson keep as opposed to having Ingram consistently get yards on the dive. Kyle mentioned in his post game presser something about Ingram always getting yards on the dive. Perhaps the thinking was, "are they really going to have Jackson run the ball 20 times?"

I'm sure part of it is also...a QB running the ball that many times could throw off his ability in the passing game and also expose him to extra hits and possible injury.

It didn't work out in terms of shutting them down completely but it's not a bad plan in theory. As good as Lamar is he can't take the beating of a huge back like Ingram. We make some of those tackles and it's another ballgame.

Let's hope we see them again this year. I'm confident on a neutral field and a second look at them we're avenging the last few loses we have against them.
Originally posted by BigBossBosa97:
The only compliments this poster will ever give are backhanded ones. He is always reluctant give this team any credit.

On another note, I tend to agree that rainy weather favors defenses. I said this before the game and could not see the opposite that others were stating. I would bet money that rainy wet field condition games result in lower scores and lower yards gained. Good thing it effects both teams and really doesn't create any advantage.

I would agree most times....unless the team is so heavily invested in running the ball like Baltimore does. There whole offense was built to run the ball. top 5 OL, a stable of hardnose RBs, a QB that's a run first QB (who's usually the fastest guy on the field), 3 TEs that can run-block like animals and a OC that can't call good pass plays.
Originally posted by genus49:
I'm sure part of it is also...a QB running the ball that many times could throw off his ability in the passing game and also expose him to extra hits and possible injury.

It didn't work out in terms of shutting them down completely but it's not a bad plan in theory. As good as Lamar is he can't take the beating of a huge back like Ingram. We make some of those tackles and it's another ballgame.

Let's hope we see them again this year. I'm confident on a neutral field and a second look at them we're avenging the last few loses we have against them.

Jackson was getting hit a lot as well.
HA oh we do. Some secret offense that only SF has locked away in their closet. got it.

I'm sorry where was Saleh a defensive coordinator prior to here? I must have missed that.

Yeah that's clearly the same as saying our defense play like s**t when you didn't even watch the game apples and oranges there.

Correct it's not sustainable, that's why Baltimore fans need to enjoy it while it lasts.

1) Everything roman did is property of san frn 49ers. SO it's on media somewhewre in the building.

2) Seattle, defensive qc coach

3) The title of this thread is why didnt we do better. You are the one inferring we played like s*t. On the highlight plays, we didn't look very good.

4) Hopefully the beginning of the end for them was last week.

1) Everything roman did is property of san frn 49ers. SO it's on media somewhewre in the building.

3) The title of this thread is why didnt we do better. You are the one inferring we played like s*t. On the highlight plays, we didn't look very good.

You think Roman's playbook with the Ravens is the same thing as it was with us with just 49ers crossed out and Ravens written on top of it?
Didnt read the thread but disagree with the premise of the question. The defense played fine. Played more than well enough to win.

We actually played the ravens pretty good but we could have been better. We held the great ravens offense to 20 pts there lowest points of the year and kept them under there average yards. On the read option we could have probably just sold out and hit lamar every play but that could have led to the ravens rbs like mark ingram having a huge game so it is pick your poison. I just hope we get a second look at them in the super bowl!
I wonder if people were watching the same game as I was, because the 49ers defense played pretty well. It's unreasonable to ask your defensive line (sans Dee Ford) to put up 5 sacks a game, not going to happen. What happened yesterday was two evenly matched teams slugged it out down to the wire.

When you play top competition, not everything is going to go exactly the way you draw it up.

Having said that, I am a bit disappointed that the 49ers have two close losses against the other top teams in the NFL. Would be nice to see them pull some of these out. Perhaps New Orleans will be the lucky charm?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
We held them to 20. Gave up a TD on a short field and 3 points in the second half. That D played well enough to win considering the Ravens were averaging like 40 pts a game.

We made them work hard for their points and coming in that was what I was hoping we'd do. Our offense and ST didnt do their jobs well enough.

1.It's not some secret that's my point...you can find film all over the place. There's no leg up for SF because he was our OC 5 yrs ago on a totally different staff.

2. HA oh yeah he was total scheming up plays vs Roman in Seattle as a QC coach more like getting guys coffee and cutting film for the guys that were actually game planning.

3. key word highlight plays. I mean you expect them to show SF stuffing them on 4th downs or limited them to 4.6 yards of offense? stop.
Originally posted by genus49:
You think Roman's playbook with the Ravens is the same thing as it was with us with just 49ers crossed out and Ravens written on top of it?

it's a dumb take and it's not exactly the same offense either. Lamar also runs the option better than Kap ever did.
Share 49ersWebzone