LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I saw the highlights, read the stats, and was alarmed.

I agree with you that we did a much better job against Baltimore than anyone else in the last 6 weeks.

Problem is, it's not good enough.

Our D has to do better to beat them.

And I'm pretty sure they can once they correct the mistakes of this game.

We can't rely on our offense to be perfect. they won't be.

They don't quite have the people running shanny's scheme's.

Totally disagree.

That D held them to 10 pts when not given a TO.

Our offense NEEDS to be better. Plain and simple

Road game in those conditions definitely throws things off for an offense.

Outside of the fumble and a couple of passes that sailed on him Jimmy played great given what they were throwing at him. Some of the passes were into tiny ass windows in the rain. It was pretty impressive. Just sucks that outside of Mostert we weren't getting much out of our running game(granted Mostert got us 146 yards lol) but Coleman just couldn't do a damn thing in the running game. Way too many 1/2 yard gains on first/2nd down early in the game.

Sanders running his route a yard short of the marker on our 2nd/3rd? drive also was a killer.

Too many mistakes vs a very good team on the road. Hard to win on the road vs good teams when you play clean. Odds are we're walking away winners if we don't turn over the ball. Avoid some of those penalties. Get ourselves into proper FG range before halftime without the holding penalty that made Shanahan play it way too safe with the clock.

Hopefully we clean all this sh*t up for the playoffs. We play clean, we play healthy and we're going to the big dance IMO.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Totally disagree.

85 said nothing wrong
Originally posted by cciowa:
Totally disagree.

85 said nothing wrong

I agree he said nothing wrong. It's just not going to happen that way between now and february.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I really thought that we did a great job DEFENSIVELY in the 2nd half... but Shanny should also know that another way to beat this guys are NOT to out score them.. it's to play the KEEP THE BALL AWAY from Lamar.

Remember how the Giants beat the Bills and their K-GUN offense?? Using OJ Anderson and their slow attack and not care about the stats..

THIS IS THE WAY !!
Holding a top offense to only 4.6 yards per play is impressive and should be a recipe for success. Now, most of the success can probably be attributed to the weather conditions, but the defense played pretty well overall.
The only stats about jimmy g were the fumbles. That's all the stats were about. I'm not taking it anyplace else. Those are his nfl stats. Tied 7th in fumbles, and 4th in fumbles lost. I am quoting his fumble stats to make a point about his fumbling. Nothing else.

You're missing my point. You made THIS thread based off not watching the game and looking at stats.

My comment about JG was more of an example on how you can cherry pick stats to make whatever you want. You can make a team/player look bad based off certain stats and visa versa
I agree he said nothing wrong. It's just not going to happen that way between now and february.

Says who?
Totally disagree.

85 said nothing wrong

This and this - offense needs to play better, from Kyle through JG etc. Will he call better games? Will JG execute? The defense is Championship caliber imo.
See I don't get the tape on Roman stuff...this is a totally different staff then when Harbs was here.

There's nothing to fix imo. It's just really f**king hard to defend that offense. The great BB had a much harder time. Is what it is

No, on this point I disagree. Roman got run out of here, and Buffalo, on a rail because the tape caught up with his gimmicky sets. I admit running with 4.3 squirrel is difficult, but we have good tackling, light, defensive personnel so we should be equipped to hem jackson in space and gang tackle him.

A lot of times, it didn't happen from what I saw.

From what you saw

You make it sound like no one else has film on Roman's offense expect SF. It's not really a gimmicky offense IMO. It's variant of the Wing T, which has been around forever.

As there's more film on how Lamar runs this scheme, there will be more tells on how to defend it. IMO it's not a sustainable offense and is a short-term win now scheme. good for Baltimore they're getting the love and rightfully so. They're playing winning football. They'd better enjoy it now because it's not gonna last unless Jackson becomes a better pocket passing QB.

Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
Holding a top offense to only 4.6 yards per play is impressive and should be a recipe for success. Now, most of the success can probably be attributed to the weather conditions, but the defense played pretty well overall.

bah always gotta throw some negative comment in there.

You're the one saying the weather would help Baltimore all week NOW it was a reason we only kept them to 4.6 yards
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Totally disagree.

85 said nothing wrong

This and this - offense needs to play better, from Kyle through JG etc. Will he call better games? Will JG execute? The defense is Championship caliber imo.

Jimmy has been very efficient in the passing game and the run game has been very dominant at times. I just think Shanny needs to find that perfect balance between run and pass and then the offense will hit its stride.
[ Edited by BigBossBosa97 on Dec 2, 2019 at 11:05 AM ]
  • thl408

You're the one saying the weather would help Baltimore all week NOW it was a reason we only kept them to 4.6 yards

For real.
Pregame: "rain will help BAL"
Postgame: "rain hurt BAL"
From what you saw

You make it sound like no one else has film on Roman's offense expect SF. It's not really a gimmicky offense IMO.an It's varit of the Wing T, which has been around forever.

As there's more film on how Lamar runs this scheme, there will be more tells on how to defend it. IMO it's not a sustainable offense and is a short-term win now scheme. good for Baltimore they're getting the love and rightfully so. They're playing winning football. They'd better enjoy it now because it's not gonna last unless Jackson becomes a better pocket passing QB.

We have all of roman's playbooks in a closet. Salah schemed against him for 2 years. We have 4 years of practice tape from him. That's why we are in a special position to kick his ass.

Variant of a wing t is a gimmick scheme in the nfl because the athletes flow to the ball so much faster than college it can't be sustained at this level.

The only reason its successful is that no one prepares for it, so it catches people by surprise. Hence, gimmick. I agree with with your entire last paragraph.
*Disclosure*
By the way, I have not seen every game roman has OC'd. Hope it's ok to make generalizations about him.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Dec 2, 2019 at 11:16 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

For real.
Pregame: "rain will help BAL"
Postgame: "rain hurt BAL"

The only compliments this poster will ever give are backhanded ones. He is always reluctant give this team any credit.

On another note, I tend to agree that rainy weather favors defenses. I said this before the game and could not see the opposite that others were stating. I would bet money that rainy wet field condition games result in lower scores and lower yards gained. Good thing it effects both teams and really doesn't create any advantage.
Share 49ersWebzone