LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
If you changed the question to what could we have done better... the only thing I can think is taking the 2013-2014 tactic of letting the RB get his yards but hit the QB every chance you get. No doubt the refs were protecting Jackson, but there were a few times the D line could of blown him up during the read option and stopped those play calls. Most were close enough not to get a penalty but even if it did... Jackson was taking the ball for 10-15 a run anyways during those plays where the RB wasnt even given the ball. And its not like we'd be giving up THAT many more yards from the penalty.

Outside of weirdly always going after the RB when a couple direct hits on LJ would of made their run game basic... the D played phenomenal especially in those elements.

This! The question for this thread was worded poorly.

They needed to just hit Jackson at the mesh pt...you can smash him in the pocket because he's still declaring himself a runner...do that over and over and I'll bet Harbs won't want to see his QB get abused like that.

Also let him hand the ball off to the RB on that read. let out IDL and LBers go to work. Instead they did the opposite of that. They took out the RB as much as they could and let Jackson have space on the edges. It was like a guaranteed 5+ yards ever time. If Jackson is gonna run make him run up the middle where he's gonna get hit on the regular. He wants to be a RB treat him like one.

I think teams will figure it out sooner than later.

5 yards every time does not result in 240 yards over 35 minutes of posession.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
If you changed the question to what could we have done better... the only thing I can think is taking the 2013-2014 tactic of letting the RB get his yards but hit the QB every chance you get. No doubt the refs were protecting Jackson, but there were a few times the D line could of blown him up during the read option and stopped those play calls. Most were close enough not to get a penalty but even if it did... Jackson was taking the ball for 10-15 a run anyways during those plays where the RB wasnt even given the ball. And its not like we'd be giving up THAT many more yards from the penalty.

Outside of weirdly always going after the RB when a couple direct hits on LJ would of made their run game basic... the D played phenomenal especially in those elements.

This! The question for this thread was worded poorly.

They needed to just hit Jackson at the mesh pt...you can smash him in the pocket because he's still declaring himself a runner...do that over and over and I'll bet Harbs won't want to see his QB get abused like that.

Also let him hand the ball off to the RB on that read. let out IDL and LBers go to work. Instead they did the opposite of that. They took out the RB as much as they could and let Jackson have space on the edges. It was like a guaranteed 5+ yards ever time. If Jackson is gonna run make him run up the middle where he's gonna get hit on the regular. He wants to be a RB treat him like one.

I think teams will figure it out sooner than later.

In retrospect, it is hard to doubt this. Having #91 crush Lamar every snap would ultimately get harabaw's attn and perhaps make him reconsider their O if Lamar is getting beaten to a pulp every play. Thing is, just looking at him, it is hard to imagine anyone crushing him. But i bet #91 could make a good run at it. As noted, let the RBs try and beat us, not their best runner. 16 carries for 106 yards. Somewhere in there one would have thot Saleh might have changed that up.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
They gave up 20 points, 3 in the second half, and 7 on a 20 yard field against the highest scoring offense in the NFL. Don't really know what you're complaining about.

Agreed. This thread should have been locked when it was opened, and definitely shouldnt still be at the top of page 1.

The defense played fine.

I kept saying this also. I guess easier said than done. I am really interested to see how Buffalo plays the Ravens. Some team will eventually start keying on just teeing off on Lamar instead of the RB... and I am really curious to see that, and see what the result is.
I never understood these posts. You're asking us a question and giving us 3 options to choose from? lol
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ryanoceros:
I never understood these posts. You're asking us a question and giving us 3 options to choose from? lol

One disappointing thing from this game was that we saw two roughing the passer penalties on passing plays, when it would have been a lot more effective to get 2 or 3 of them by smashing Lamar on the read option (assuming they would have called it that many times).

Instead those weren't rough hits at all, so did nothing on the intimidation side or even roughing him up slightly, and instead was about 30 yards lost and critical field position/scores.

It was good that this game was played though. We won't face the Ravens for another 4 years if it's not in February for the big dance.

SF will be ready when that time comes.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
They played a good game - in the rain and lost on a late field goal. I don't know what your complaining about - it's football, nothing is ever perfect.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 7, 2019 at 8:11 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone