LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Overall we didn't give up the kind of yards the Ravens have been getting.

So, that's pretty good.

But we didn't come close to shutting them down either.

Got gashed for over 170 yards on the ground.

The highlight plays didn't show any penetration or take downs of Lamar.

Couldn't stop them at crunch time.

Where did things go off the rails?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
We actually did do a good job defensively as a whole. but mainly in the 2nd half. I knew the only way we could stop Jackson was to not crash down the line. Yet in the 1st half. Time and time again our ends were crashing down the line leaving Lamar on the outside solo. The 2nd half we adjusted and we contained them. Held them to 3 points in the 2nd half. I feel confident in a rematch if that were to come down the road.
?..getting clobbered for 3 points in the second half was unacceptable
Held them to 20 points

Cant ask for much better than that
Played a decent game. Take away the roughing call and add in that missed delay of game call....hmmmmm
Originally posted by valrod33:
Held them to 20 points

Cant ask for much better than that

Agree. It was war under tough conditions. Defense held their own.
Because the NFL won't let us hit QBs. When we hit Lamar without the ball (bang-bang play) we got flagged. If we could do what the Ravens did to Kaep we would be good...but the QB rules won't allow us too. ALSO, Lamar is pretty darn good.
Bad execution. I saw numerous times the DL and LB's in the right spots but never stayed home (as I would think was the game plan: to not over commit).

Penalties really kicked us in the ass. Two huge 3rd down stops ruined by the flag.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Defense was good. I have no complaints.

Lamar Jackson is really fast and hard to tackle.
The tale of two halves. The 2nd half was really good for this defense.
The overall stats look fine and the point total is fine.

They were going in for a score when Harris made a great play. I disagree with salahs call on that play as well.

I will say I did expect more. They were too successful running on first down. And when he needed first downs to salt the game away they got them.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
The overall stats look fine and the point total is fine.

They were going in for a score when Harris made a great play. I disagree with salahs call on that play as well.

I will say I did expect more. They were too successful running on first down. And when he needed first downs to salt the game away they got them.
Overall their o line out played our d line.
It was like we were a completely different team in terms of game plan defense after the 2nd half. I think the game plan was bad in the first half, and extremely good in the 2nd half.
Share 49ersWebzone