LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Week 9 2019 - Thoughts after rewatching the first half of the season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
From ESPN today re the run D:

Since Week 4, the Niners are allowing 5.54 yards per carry, which is 31st in the NFL in that time.

We have allowed a few big runs, I'm wondering how our stars would be minus those, or during the 1st qtr. Either way it needs to be addressed. Carson is a big back and we don't need beast mode v2 to plow us down.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
So I see Buzz still posts jibberish...
Wow Marvin taking shots at the handicapped. I see your stay on the .NET has rubbed off.

SMDH.

So.....dude takes a shot at me, I barely understand what he's sayin (and for the record I know zilch about him)...

...and somehow I'M the a-hole?

LOL.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM ]
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Only came back to jinx Jimmy against his Hawks. Laaaaaaaaame.

he shoulda stayed where he's the ambassador for all 49ers fans on seahawks.net

Really never will understand why peeps care that I post there. Why do you care?

Honestly, these posts are an example of one of the reasons of WHY I don't post much here anymore.

Welcome back, please ignore the usual trolls. Happy to have these posts back.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
From ESPN today re the run D:

Since Week 4, the Niners are allowing 5.54 yards per carry, which is 31st in the NFL in that time.

We have allowed a few big runs, I'm wondering how our stars would be minus those, or during the 1st qtr. Either way it needs to be addressed. Carson is a big back and we don't need beast mode v2 to plow us down.

Yeah our run D isn't very good. They only stop to play catchup and are forced to pass. I have a feeling we are only going to go wide nine in obvious pass downs, but maybe compensate to defend the run better on other downs.
Wow Marvin taking shots at the handicapped. I see your stay on the .NET has rubbed off.

SMDH.

So.....dude takes a shot at me, I barely understand what he's sayin (and for the record I know zilch about him)...

LOL.

Don't sweat it Marv...welcome back. Those of us that have been around a while missed you and we also remember that Buzz has been busted posting in normal speech numerous times.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

SMDH.

LOL.

Don't sweat it Marv...welcome back. Those of us that have been around a while missed you and we also remember that Buzz has been busted posting in normal speech numerous times.

No biggy. I ain't that fragile. The hypocrisy just amuses me.
OH s**t IT'S MARVIN
  • thl408
Can't wait until the two OTs come back. Most teams going down to their 4th and 5th OTs means the offense takes a big step back in how they can run the ball and what types of passing plays they call. When the 49ers execute run plays, WRs get very involved in misdirection and crackbacks which help out the OL. So having this team concept to run blocking helped the team maintain a good rushing attack with bench players. This, and Jimmy's fast decision making/release has helped the 49ers offense continue scoring despite the injuries.

The addition of Sanders, Juice, OTs into the offense, and knowing they have serviceable players in Toilolo/Dwelley means Kyle can really change up his personnel groupings to create more layers to his offense. The 4-6 week injury was really a blessing in disguise as it got those replacement players valuable playing time while not suffering in the win loss column.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by goldensnake:
I disagree with the run d part. Kenyan drake is a very good back and somebody I wanted on the niners. It was one fluke game that the defensive line will make sure to not happen again. This team is built on our defensive line and whether they can control the line of scrimmage. It will get corrected for hawks game.

Game 1: Ronald Jones - 13 for 75 - 5.8 per carry
Game 2: Joe Mixon - 11 for 17 - 1.5 per carry
Game 3: James Conner - 13 for 43 - 3.3 per carry
Game 4: Brown/Henderson - 17 for 89 - 4.6 per carry
Game 5: Nick Chubb - 16 for 87 - 5.4 per carry
Game 6: Adrian Peterson - 20 for 81 - 4.1 per carry
Game 7: Christian McCafferey - 14 for 117 - 8.4 per carry
Game 8: Kenyan Drake - 15 for 115 - 7.3 per carry

Its been an issue most of the year. They are giving up 4.7 per carry and are the 14th ranked D against the run.

Its an issue.

You have to consider that we were up big in some of those games and the teams were abandoning the run. If they did run, they got huge gains vs. our nickel packages as we were defending the lead and the pass game.

True, but the Rams and Redskins ran it right out of the gate. Its an issue.

Now perhaps its fixable. It might be a drawback of the Wide 9. It might be that our Dts and LBs are a bit light in the posterior (and perhaps DJ Jones needs to play more). Maybe some of it is the team getting sloppy when up with big leads.

Regardless of what the cause is, its showed up in most games this year and in particular the last 2.

I'm not saying its a fatal flaw or not correctable, but its an issue...especially in a few weeks when they go to Baltimore.

It has often been said that teams can run on the wide 9
Originally posted by thl408:
Can't wait until the two OTs come back. Most teams going down to their 4th and 5th OTs means the offense takes a big step back in how they can run the ball and what types of passing plays they call. When the 49ers execute run plays, WRs get very involved in misdirection and crackbacks which help out the OL. So having this team concept to run blocking helped the team maintain a good rushing attack with bench players. This, and Jimmy's fast decision making/release has helped the 49ers offense continue scoring despite the injuries.

The addition of Sanders, Juice, OTs into the offense, and knowing they have serviceable players in Toilolo/Dwelley means Kyle can really change up his personnel groupings to create more layers to his offense. The 4-6 week injury was really a blessing in disguise as it got those replacement players valuable playing time while not suffering in the win loss column.

Jeez....for weeks I was getting annoyed at National Media talking about the passing game as if the entire game plan wasn't built around how long they were willing to expose the 4th and 5th string tackles on any given play.

Jimmy was leading the league in time from snap to throw. That wasn't an accident. It also led to some fast WTF throws just because he was trying to ge tthe ball out.

For the record, that doesn't absolve the WTF throw, but what were were seeing was Shanahan adapting to the personnel he had.

That narrative, of course, NEVER made its way to the national media.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 5, 2019 at 11:24 AM ]

SMDH.

LOL.

Not even worth responding to that post. Only troll posts from that handle
[ Edited by sacniner on Nov 5, 2019 at 11:44 AM ]
So, I had planned on doing these quarterly instead of weekly, but life kinda got in the way after game 4.

I spend a lot of time on opposing teams pages these days because I really enjoy the conversation with fans of opposing teams. You kinda get homer takes for their teams just as you do here with our Niners, but I think it's a really good way to see the team the Niners are up against from inside enemy lines instead of the mostly wrong national view. I think you all know what I mean when you see the way the Niners are talked about. Its really the truth for all 32 NFL teams. Those guys just regurgitate the same old talking points, but really know less than average fans of every NFL team.

That was certainly true in particular of Steeler, Browns, and Panther fans and those conversations were a lot of fun this year.

Anyway, here we go…

1) Jimmy Garoppolo: I've been sayin this for awhile now tho I haven't posted much on the 'zone these days but to me Jimmy is following a very predictable path. What we lost last year when he got hurt wasn't a possible playoff season. What we lost was TIME in that system for Jimmy. TIME on the field making mistakes and learning from them. TIME to see issues and work through them with Kyle. TIME to get to know this offensive system inside and out and roll with it when Kyle changes on the fly...which he does a lot.

That's what we are seeing this year. In 2015, Kyle Shanahans first year in Atlanta, there was an article I read and will never forget.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/12/1/9820316/kyle-shanahan-quarterback-killer

Kyle Shanahan, QB Killer.

"The passing offense has been atrocious for weeks. Turnovers, inaccurate throws, and predictability have haunted this team. While Atlanta's supporting cast could use some improvement, the passing offense has taken a decidedly swift step back since last year. How can a Pro Bowl quarterback and a Pro Bowl wide receiver look so ordinary, so quickly?

In my opinion, the problem has to originate with one of either two people: QB Matt Ryan or OC Kyle Shanahan.

Simply put, Ryan is having his worst year as a pro. He looks uncomfortable playing, and his mechanics have been a mess all season. He has been asked to do a number of things he has never excelled at, such as throwing on the run, and a lot of bootlegs. Ryan has always been at his best running an uptempo offense, but oddly he is only able to run those in the last few minutes of a half. That is also usually the only time the Falcons are able to quickly score."

In 16 starts in 2015, Matt Ryans Stat line was as follows:

66.3 Comp%, 4591 Yards, 21 TDs, 16 INTs, 89 QB Rating.

In 2016, Matt Ryan was the NFL MVP.

So what are Jimmy Garoppolos stats under Shanahan? 16 starts and a drive:

67.5 Comp%, 4084 Yards, 25 TDs, 15 INTs, 97.1 QB Rating.

In addition to this, he started the season recovering from a Torn ACL. JIMMY. NEEDS. TIME. That's it. Now some will say "yeah but he's being paid like a star" or whatever. Get that outta here. That's a designation that exists only in the head of the fan or sportswriter. Those $$$ are a byproduct of the situation, not how far down the development path Jimmy was. The 49ers knew that. I don't deal in utopia…I deal in reality. The reality is that Jimmy came into this season with 10 career starts. That's it. He is not and was not a finished product.

There was so much BS going on this offseason around 5 straight INTs in a practice, a poor preseason performance, and then the team not needing him to win games because the rest of the team was dominant that I really think people lost sight of what he can be and where he is on the learning curve. A narrative that was cool to talk about on ESPN came about that Jimmy was holding the team back. These people seem unable to read the record of the team WITHOUT Jimmy or what happened in 2017 when he started the last 5 games of the year.

Jimmy will get better as this year progresses. Jimmy will be much better next year than he is this year because he'll have been in those trenches and will have gotten the time under center than he needed.

I got no issue whatsoever with Jimmy. I ain't sayin he wins the MVP next year, but people who have issues with him simply don't have a clue and don't have any context around what he's doing. In short, National Media is clueless. Shocker, right?

dude. THANK YOU. you said it so well here. these are things me and other fans have been trying to tell 49er fan naysayers all goddamn season and offseason. but in turn they retort with the stupid contract argument and 'fantasy' number arguments. so nice to see this so well said and clear.
Originally posted by sacniner:

SMDH.

LOL.

Not even worth responding to that post. Only troll posts from that handle

Don't take the bait.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
So, I had planned on doing these quarterly instead of weekly, but life kinda got in the way after game 4.

I spend a lot of time on opposing teams pages these days because I really enjoy the conversation with fans of opposing teams. You kinda get homer takes for their teams just as you do here with our Niners, but I think it's a really good way to see the team the Niners are up against from inside enemy lines instead of the mostly wrong national view. I think you all know what I mean when you see the way the Niners are talked about. Its really the truth for all 32 NFL teams. Those guys just regurgitate the same old talking points, but really know less than average fans of every NFL team.

That was certainly true in particular of Steeler, Browns, and Panther fans and those conversations were a lot of fun this year.

Anyway, here we go…

1) Jimmy Garoppolo: I've been sayin this for awhile now tho I haven't posted much on the 'zone these days but to me Jimmy is following a very predictable path. What we lost last year when he got hurt wasn't a possible playoff season. What we lost was TIME in that system for Jimmy. TIME on the field making mistakes and learning from them. TIME to see issues and work through them with Kyle. TIME to get to know this offensive system inside and out and roll with it when Kyle changes on the fly...which he does a lot.

That's what we are seeing this year. In 2015, Kyle Shanahans first year in Atlanta, there was an article I read and will never forget.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/12/1/9820316/kyle-shanahan-quarterback-killer

Kyle Shanahan, QB Killer.

"The passing offense has been atrocious for weeks. Turnovers, inaccurate throws, and predictability have haunted this team. While Atlanta's supporting cast could use some improvement, the passing offense has taken a decidedly swift step back since last year. How can a Pro Bowl quarterback and a Pro Bowl wide receiver look so ordinary, so quickly?

In my opinion, the problem has to originate with one of either two people: QB Matt Ryan or OC Kyle Shanahan.

Simply put, Ryan is having his worst year as a pro. He looks uncomfortable playing, and his mechanics have been a mess all season. He has been asked to do a number of things he has never excelled at, such as throwing on the run, and a lot of bootlegs. Ryan has always been at his best running an uptempo offense, but oddly he is only able to run those in the last few minutes of a half. That is also usually the only time the Falcons are able to quickly score."

In 16 starts in 2015, Matt Ryans Stat line was as follows:

66.3 Comp%, 4591 Yards, 21 TDs, 16 INTs, 89 QB Rating.

In 2016, Matt Ryan was the NFL MVP.

So what are Jimmy Garoppolos stats under Shanahan? 16 starts and a drive:

67.5 Comp%, 4084 Yards, 25 TDs, 15 INTs, 97.1 QB Rating.

In addition to this, he started the season recovering from a Torn ACL. JIMMY. NEEDS. TIME. That's it. Now some will say "yeah but he's being paid like a star" or whatever. Get that outta here. That's a designation that exists only in the head of the fan or sportswriter. Those $$$ are a byproduct of the situation, not how far down the development path Jimmy was. The 49ers knew that. I don't deal in utopia…I deal in reality. The reality is that Jimmy came into this season with 10 career starts. That's it. He is not and was not a finished product.

There was so much BS going on this offseason around 5 straight INTs in a practice, a poor preseason performance, and then the team not needing him to win games because the rest of the team was dominant that I really think people lost sight of what he can be and where he is on the learning curve. A narrative that was cool to talk about on ESPN came about that Jimmy was holding the team back. These people seem unable to read the record of the team WITHOUT Jimmy or what happened in 2017 when he started the last 5 games of the year.

Jimmy will get better as this year progresses. Jimmy will be much better next year than he is this year because he'll have been in those trenches and will have gotten the time under center than he needed.

I got no issue whatsoever with Jimmy. I ain't sayin he wins the MVP next year, but people who have issues with him simply don't have a clue and don't have any context around what he's doing. In short, National Media is clueless. Shocker, right?

dude. THANK YOU. you said it so well here. these are things me and other fans have been trying to tell 49er fan naysayers all goddamn season and offseason. but in turn they retort with the stupid contract argument and 'fantasy' number arguments. so nice to see this so well said and clear.

I think the better way to look at the Jimmy contract situation is pretend for a moment he was the first overall pick of the draft before the CBA capped the Salary of rookies.

He was paid on potential. He was paid because SOMEONE was going to pay him. Its not like the 49ers looked at him and said, he's pretty, give him 25 mil per. No. If the 49ers didn't pay him, he'd have been an UFA and he'd likely have gotten MORE in Free Agency and he'd STILL only have a few NFL starts to his name.

The contracts messes with reason. It sets expectations where they are near impossible to achieve. He is a QB with very, very good potential learning his way through the league.

Lets do a little experiment. Its difficult to compare Jimmy to rookies because he did get the opportunity to sit and learn. So...lets use QBs who got to do that.

First off, Jimmys statline:
67.5 Comp%, 4084 Yards, 25 TDs, 15 INTs, 97.1 QB Rating

Then Matt Ryan since it was his first year with Shanahan, but his EIGHTH in the NFL and with Julio Jones catching passes:
66.3 Comp%, 4591 Yards, 21 TDs, 16 INTs, 89 QB Rating

How about this one. QB in his first year as a starter after sitting behind a HOF QB.
63.6 Comp%, 4038 Yards, 28 TDs, 13 INTs, 93.8 QB Rating

Any guesses?

My point is not that Jimmy will be a HOF QB. My point is that talk of the contract distracts from the reality is that he is a relatively new starter and there WILL be growing pains. $$$ is not equal to game experience and the faster people can come to grips with that, the better.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 5, 2019 at 12:09 PM ]
  • Kyzen

SMDH.

LOL.

That dude is a headache to understand. Keep doing your thang Marvin, this place needs more posters like you and less of the fake fans that reside here.
Share 49ersWebzone