There are 151 users in the forums

Week 9 2019 - Thoughts after rewatching the first half of the season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Only came back to jinx Jimmy against his Hawks. Laaaaaaaaame.

he shoulda stayed where he's the ambassador for all 49ers fans on seahawks.net

Really never will understand why peeps care that I post there. Why do you care?

Honestly, these posts are an example of one of the reasons of WHY I don't post much here anymore.

Welcome back Marvin, and I also share your sentiments.
Good to see you chime in. Agree with your points or not, and I generally do, your contributions to this forum are invaluable. Just keep coming back. This is a great time to be a 49ers fan and the quality of football we're enjoying in the Shanahan era deserves your thoughts on this board.
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
Game 4: Brown/Henderson - 17 for 89 - 4.6 per carry(mostly 1st drive of the game yardage....no effect the rest of the game)

Game 5: Nick Chubb - 16 for 87 - 5.4 per carry(1st drive of the 2nd half blow out)

Game 6: Adrian Peterson - 20 for 81 - 4.1 per carry(mostly 1st drive of the game..no effect the rest of the game)

Game 7: Christian McCafferey - 14 for 117 - 8.4 per carry(40 yarder in trash time blowout...mostly bottled up )

Game 8: Kenyan Drake - 15 for 115 - 7.3 per carry...Biggest running performance vs Niners in terms of effect on the game and score....K'won went out and we put in a rookie to fill the void..Hopefully Greenlaw can grow up quick and have Tartt and Ward step up on Run Defense....F*ck Thursday night games

Good points

But what about the first 3 games?
As I've said before, the offense always follows the defense and I believe it's starting to show.
I would also say that this season and schedule has been perfect for the Niners. The first four games were against teams that were "live ammo" games. And I think I remember our record in those first four being predicted at 1-3 or 2-2. Then the next four were definitely going to be 2-2 at best. But each game has shown a different aspect of winning. Now I believe the Niners are battle tested every team played from now on is going to have to bring their A+ game because they will definitely see ours
Originally posted by 9erReign:
s**t the run is over boys. 8-8 here we come.

lol
Let the clown roll in...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Good to see you chime in. Agree with your points or not, and I generally do, your contributions to this forum are invaluable. Just keep coming back. This is a great time to be a 49ers fan and the quality of football we're enjoying in the Shanahan era deserves your thoughts on this board.

Keep being you, Marvin.
Welcome back man, I've missed these posts. Don't let the jackasses get to you, you're a valued asset here on the zone.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Glad to see you back Marvin, ignore the haters - the mods really should do something about them, it's lowering the quality of this board significantly.
Love it. Great to see you posting again Marvin. Go Niners!
The Homer comment is spot on. It's proven right in here every time you post. ANY concerns/weaknesses you note are the first to be refuted by our own Homers and I'm here for that!

Overall, it's good to see you back where you belong. No offense, but we're 8-0 and the last place you should be is on other teams message boards unless it's in our own Hawks/Rams/Cards forum.

Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by goldensnake:
I disagree with the run d part. Kenyan drake is a very good back and somebody I wanted on the niners. It was one fluke game that the defensive line will make sure to not happen again. This team is built on our defensive line and whether they can control the line of scrimmage. It will get corrected for hawks game.

Game 1: Ronald Jones - 13 for 75 - 5.8 per carry
Game 2: Joe Mixon - 11 for 17 - 1.5 per carry
Game 3: James Conner - 13 for 43 - 3.3 per carry
Game 4: Brown/Henderson - 17 for 89 - 4.6 per carry
Game 5: Nick Chubb - 16 for 87 - 5.4 per carry
Game 6: Adrian Peterson - 20 for 81 - 4.1 per carry
Game 7: Christian McCafferey - 14 for 117 - 8.4 per carry
Game 8: Kenyan Drake - 15 for 115 - 7.3 per carry

Its been an issue most of the year. They are giving up 4.7 per carry and are the 14th ranked D against the run.

Its an issue.

You have to consider that we were up big in some of those games and the teams were abandoning the run. If they did run, they got huge gains vs. our nickel packages as we were defending the lead and the pass game.

True, but the Rams and Redskins ran it right out of the gate. Its an issue.

Now perhaps its fixable. It might be a drawback of the Wide 9. It might be that our Dts and LBs are a bit light in the posterior (and perhaps DJ Jones needs to play more). Maybe some of it is the team getting sloppy when up with big leads.

Regardless of what the cause is, its showed up in most games this year and in particular the last 2.

I'm not saying its a fatal flaw or not correctable, but its an issue...especially in a few weeks when they go to Baltimore.

Agreed, it's definitely an area we need to improve. We're a playoff team now so we need to also prepare for teams like the Hawks and Cowboys. If we meet them in the playoffs and we can't stop the run, it's over for our season. Period. Right now they are average at best...we sacrificed run defense strength for speed and coverage with our LB unit. We changed to a wide 9 and explode at the snap vs. read/react. That can lead to some big hitters. Numerous big runs have been called back on penalties too.
Great recap.

I would add in kudos to our O line. Richburg & Pearson are playing at pro bowl level, Tomlinson is solid and how about Justin Skule and Daniel Brunskill coming in at the OT spots and playing some really solid football.

Also I give kudos to Jacquiski Tartt on D. I feel he is underrated and playing really well.

I was calling for the 49ers to make a trade for Emmanuel Sanders when the Broncos were looking like sellers. He is the one guy I wanted and thank god we got him. He's our best WR by a mile. I like Deebo Samuel a lot but he still has a ways to go. I just don't trust Pettis.

Also some kudos to Ross Dwelley who is playing very solid and showing his versatility
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by goldensnake:
I disagree with the run d part. Kenyan drake is a very good back and somebody I wanted on the niners. It was one fluke game that the defensive line will make sure to not happen again. This team is built on our defensive line and whether they can control the line of scrimmage. It will get corrected for hawks game.

Game 1: Ronald Jones - 13 for 75 - 5.8 per carry
Game 2: Joe Mixon - 11 for 17 - 1.5 per carry
Game 3: James Conner - 13 for 43 - 3.3 per carry
Game 4: Brown/Henderson - 17 for 89 - 4.6 per carry
Game 5: Nick Chubb - 16 for 87 - 5.4 per carry
Game 6: Adrian Peterson - 20 for 81 - 4.1 per carry
Game 7: Christian McCafferey - 14 for 117 - 8.4 per carry
Game 8: Kenyan Drake - 15 for 115 - 7.3 per carry

Its been an issue most of the year. They are giving up 4.7 per carry and are the 14th ranked D against the run.

Its an issue.

You have to consider that we were up big in some of those games and the teams were abandoning the run. If they did run, they got huge gains vs. our nickel packages as we were defending the lead and the pass game.

True, but the Rams and Redskins ran it right out of the gate. Its an issue.

Now perhaps its fixable. It might be a drawback of the Wide 9. It might be that our Dts and LBs are a bit light in the posterior (and perhaps DJ Jones needs to play more). Maybe some of it is the team getting sloppy when up with big leads.

Regardless of what the cause is, its showed up in most games this year and in particular the last 2.

I'm not saying its a fatal flaw or not correctable, but its an issue...especially in a few weeks when they go to Baltimore.

Agreed, it's definitely an area we need to improve. We're a playoff team now so we need to also prepare for teams like the Hawks and Cowboys. If we meet them in the playoffs and we can't stop the run, it's over for our season. Period. Right now they are average at best...we sacrificed run defense strength for speed and coverage with our LB unit. We changed to a wide 9 and explode at the snap vs. read/react. That can lead to some big hitters. Numerous big runs have been called back on penalties too.

If you had to pick an issue, it would be the run D. Totally agree with that.

SF is 14th in the league vs the run. Not elite but not awful. The Hawks/Pats are right there as well....I also agree we've shifted the scheme to be better vs the pass then the run. I feel like that's a common trend around the league. Like you've said a ton it's a passing league
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Great recap.

I would add in kudos to our O line. Richburg & Pearson are playing at pro bowl level, Tomlinson is solid and how about Justin Skule and Daniel Brunskill coming in at the OT spots and playing some really solid football.

Also I give kudos to Jacquiski Tartt on D. I feel he is underrated and playing really well.

I was calling for the 49ers to make a trade for Emmanuel Sanders when the Broncos were looking like sellers. He is the one guy I wanted and thank god we got him. He's our best WR by a mile. I like Deebo Samuel a lot but he still has a ways to go. I just don't trust Pettis.

Also some kudos to Ross Dwelley who is playing very solid and showing his versatility

IMO Tomlinson is playing much better than Person.
I am not concern about losing Mike McDaniel. He is a great assistant, but this is a Kyle Shanahan offense.
Share 49ersWebzone