There are 241 users in the forums

Week 9 2019 - Thoughts after rewatching the first half of the season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Only came back to jinx Jimmy against his Hawks. Laaaaaaaaame.

he shoulda stayed where he's the ambassador for all 49ers fans on seahawks.net

Really never will understand why peeps care that I post there. Why do you care?

Honestly, these posts are an example of one of the reasons of WHY I don't post much here anymore.

Welcome back Marvin, and I also share your sentiments.

Me too.
Wait are my eyes deceiving me?!!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by goldensnake:
I disagree with the run d part. Kenyan drake is a very good back and somebody I wanted on the niners. It was one fluke game that the defensive line will make sure to not happen again. This team is built on our defensive line and whether they can control the line of scrimmage. It will get corrected for hawks game.

Game 1: Ronald Jones - 13 for 75 - 5.8 per carry
Game 2: Joe Mixon - 11 for 17 - 1.5 per carry
Game 3: James Conner - 13 for 43 - 3.3 per carry
Game 4: Brown/Henderson - 17 for 89 - 4.6 per carry
Game 5: Nick Chubb - 16 for 87 - 5.4 per carry
Game 6: Adrian Peterson - 20 for 81 - 4.1 per carry
Game 7: Christian McCafferey - 14 for 117 - 8.4 per carry
Game 8: Kenyan Drake - 15 for 115 - 7.3 per carry

Its been an issue most of the year. They are giving up 4.7 per carry and are the 14th ranked D against the run.

Its an issue.

You have to consider that we were up big in some of those games and the teams were abandoning the run. If they did run, they got huge gains vs. our nickel packages as we were defending the lead and the pass game.

True, but the Rams and Redskins ran it right out of the gate. Its an issue.

Now perhaps its fixable. It might be a drawback of the Wide 9. It might be that our Dts and LBs are a bit light in the posterior (and perhaps DJ Jones needs to play more). Maybe some of it is the team getting sloppy when up with big leads.

Regardless of what the cause is, its showed up in most games this year and in particular the last 2.

I'm not saying its a fatal flaw or not correctable, but its an issue...especially in a few weeks when they go to Baltimore.

Agreed, it's definitely an area we need to improve. We're a playoff team now so we need to also prepare for teams like the Hawks and Cowboys. If we meet them in the playoffs and we can't stop the run, it's over for our season. Period. Right now they are average at best...we sacrificed run defense strength for speed and coverage with our LB unit. We changed to a wide 9 and explode at the snap vs. read/react. That can lead to some big hitters. Numerous big runs have been called back on penalties too.

If you had to pick an issue, it would be the run D. Totally agree with that.

SF is 14th in the league vs the run. Not elite but not awful. The Hawks/Pats are right there as well....I also agree we've shifted the scheme to be better vs the pass then the run. I feel like that's a common trend around the league. Like you've said a ton it's a passing league

Truly. It's not a huge concern of mine but it's a legit concern against teams who lean heavily on the run and who CAN run well. Otherwise, we're more equipped to stop the pass which is smart given it is a passing league. Defense has some discipline stuff to work on with holding the edge against mobile QB's and need more practice against the screen game and discipline in coverage over 3 seconds (they've been used to being aggressive under 3 seconds because of our pass rush).

Saleh has some work to do on first drives, run defense, discipline edge defending, his weird rotations, 3+ coverages, man vs. zone, scheming without Alexander, etc.

Honestly, these posts are an example of one of the reasons of WHY I don't post much here anymore.

You dont post much here anymore because 49ers was lost games and many times. You know. You are bad luck for 49ers loss game when you're alway post here all the time. So you should better less post here than post for often.
[ Edited by BuZzB05 on Nov 5, 2019 at 7:11 AM ]
Originally posted by BuZzB05:

You dont post much here anymore because 49ers was lost games and many times. You know. You are bad luck for 49ers loss game when you're alway post here all the time. So you should better less post here than post for often.

That's silly. Welcome back Marvin.
Fine post Marv!

Also - playing multiple games w/2 substitute OT's and winning.

Blessing in disguise - these 2 guys, Skule and Brunskill, have gotten real-time experience.

Marvin isn't Taylor Price.

So I see Buzz still posts jibberish...
Its actually funny...

Back in the day, long before Harbaugh even, I posted these "Thoughts after rewatching the game" because it was cathartic, IE, it was a way to realize things were never as bad as they appeared. It allowed me to view the games in context without the emotion of the game.

When they win, it almost serves the opposite purpose. Just as things are never as bad as you think, they are also never as good.

When I see things that are problems, it doesn't mean that I think they are fatal flaws or that the team is doomed. Its because I applied the same logic in rewatching the game s as I did when they were losing.

No team is perfect. Every single team that ever won a Super Bowl has faults. This team has faults. It doesn't mean they can't win, but they are still there.

I like what I see from this team. Who wouldn't?
  • thl408
This is a good thread to discuss the midway point of the season. Let's use it for that.

• thl408
Regarding the run defense, the team made a conscious decision to sacrifice interior run defense for pass rush/coverage. Wide 9 puts strain on the interior DT and LBs. They then doubled down and got light athletic LBs that further sacrifice run defense to improve pass coverage. It will be tested versus SEA and BAL but there are things they can do schematically to bolster the run defense. I'll show this in the film thread vs ARI.
Originally posted by thl408:
Regarding the run defense, the team made a conscious decision to sacrifice interior run defense for pass rush/coverage. Wide 9 puts strain on the interior DT and LBs. They then doubled down and got light athletic LBs that further sacrifice run defense to improve pass coverage. It will be tested versus SEA and BAL but there are things they can do schematically to bolster the run defense. I'll show this in the film thread vs ARI.

Exactly the point I was making. I think the issue to a large extent is schematic (Wide 9) and a lack of weight in the posterior on the DTs. I'd expect to see alot more of the likes of DJ Jones and Jullian Taylor in the middle, particularly against Baltimore.

They have guys who can anchor against the run up front. They just don't play as much because Buckner and Armstead have been so damn good vs the pass.

The LB issue though...I don't know that the issue goes away overnight. They made that conscious choice to look at speed and coverage at that position and they may just have to live with it.

I like Warner and Alexander so don't get me wrong, but they are at a disadvantage vs the run from the start.
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:

Exactly the point I was making. I think the issue to a large extent is schematic (Wide 9) and a lack of weight in the posterior on the DTs. I'd expect to see alot more of the likes of DJ Jones and Jullian Taylor in the middle, particularly against Baltimore.

They have guys who can anchor against the run up front. They just don't play as much because Buckner and Armstead have been so damn good vs the pass.

The LB issue though...I don't know that the issue goes away overnight. They made that conscious choice to look at speed and coverage at that position and they may just have to live with it.

I like Warner and Alexander so don't get me wrong, but they are at a disadvantage vs the run from the start.

Yeah they have personnel to beef up the middle with Taylor and Jones. The 49ers also showed in this game that the 5 man front is still in their playbook as I saw them with a very Fangio-like 3-4 front in this game. Just another wrinkle they can use to move away from wide 9 to temporarily improve the run defense within a drive. Sometimes it seems like they are daring the opponent to stay patient with the run game. Can an offense do it without committing a drive killing holding call? Will an offense stay with it despite a -2 yard run to make it 2nd & 12? Can't wait to see them versus SEA/BAL.

This can't be real, lol. If you don't like his thoughts after the game thread, don't read. He's been doing it for years, well before you were around.
So I see Buzz still posts jibberish...
Wow Marvin taking shots at the handicapped. I see your stay on the .NET has rubbed off.
Share 49ersWebzone