There are 156 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Y'all, it's here! Can't believe it! After years of agony, I finally got to do another breakdown of the 49ers in the NFCCG!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Absolutely great video breakdown
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks, jonny. Feels great, baby!
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 22, 2020 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Jonny,
Could Saleh employ a 4-2-5 or 4-1-6 against the Chiefs?
and/or
Tavarious Moore as a spy on Mahomes and/on man coverage on T. Hill?

We did throw T. Moore in, in a "big" Dime for a couple plays against GB. I could see us utilizing that a lot in the SB, for real. T. Moore can match anyone, even T. Hill, in speed and also has put on size to be an interchangeable safety. The personnel one those plays were: Bosa, Buck, AA, Ford, Warner, Moore, K'Waun, Tartt, Ward, Moseley and Sherm.

With how piss poor KC is at running it and how our D-line matches their O-line I can see us stopping the run and getting pressure with our front 4 and letting the speed roam and frustrate their passing offense.
Y'all, it's here! Can't believe it! After years of agony, I finally got to do another breakdown of the 49ers in the NFCCG!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Originally posted by thl408:
jd, what's up with all the runs from shotgun in the playoffs? It's not new, but it seems like the 49ers have been using it more often in this playoffs. Kyle has spoken about why it's beneficial to be under center yet I think I've seen more runs from shotgun than ever before from a Kyle offense.

I think in these games it had to do with setting up the zone-read look to be able to leave the EMLOS unblocked. When we ran out of shot-gun we almost always had the hand off in a zone-read look to hold the backside EMLOS. Could use the same thing vs Frank Clark in this one.
Yeah 49ers go 4-2-5 often. The question is do they go Dime to matchup vs KC. With all the RPOs that KC uses, I'm not sure Moore's added speed over Greenlaw is worth putting Moore's inexperience on the field. Moore man coverage on Hill? No thanks. Now we are asking Moore, a college safety, to go from CB in 2018, to safety in 2019, to CB in the Super Bowl vs one of the most dangerous WRs in the league.

I was wondering about if they may deploy a 3-3-5 on early downs. You can bring tartt and (harris or moore) down in the box on the outside. It will get the DL some breathers, and it may force them to atleast attempt to run.

It can disguise coverage a bit better, hide the 4th rusher who will have a lot of speed to keep mahomes from scrambling, and get better side to side coverage for the quick passes.

Kind of similar to what belicheck and the patriots did to the rams
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Jan 22, 2020 at 3:21 PM ]
These Niners make running the ball look like poetry.

Can't wait for your breakdown of KC!
  • thl408
jd, what's up with all the runs from shotgun in the playoffs? It's not new, but it seems like the 49ers have been using it more often in this playoffs. Kyle has spoken about why it's beneficial to be under center yet I think I've seen more runs from shotgun than ever before from a Kyle offense.

I think in these games it had to do with setting up the zone-read look to be able to leave the EMLOS unblocked. When we ran out of shot-gun we almost always had the hand off in a zone-read look to hold the backside EMLOS. Could use the same thing vs Frank Clark in this one.

Okay. I did notice the zone read look and wondered why the GB edge player respected the QB keep? I'd dare Jimmy to keep the ball. What's he gonna do, pick up 4 yards and risk getting popped? Much better option than Mostert rambling for 6+.
Okay. I did notice the zone read look and wondered why the GB edge player respected the QB keep? I'd dare Jimmy to keep the ball. What's he gonna do, pick up 4 yards and risk getting popped? Much better option than Mostert rambling for 6+.

I doubt he would ever keep it, unless it is play action.

He bites hard, jimmy keeps it with deebo coming around for a pitch, kittle hitting a middle crosser, sanders attacking the corner, and juice going deep on the other side.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I'm referring to 1st down as well. Perhaps 4-2-5 on 1st down and 4-1-6 on 2nd and 3rd down and long. This is what Bill Walsh used against the weak running Dolphins in the Super Bowl. He began it in the second quarter. The Dolphins scored just six points after that point.

Tarvarius Moore has 4.32 speed. His role would be to shadow T. Hill while the rest of the secondary switches back and forth from zone to man coverage. This could effectively double team Hill. Moore could also be used as a blitzer to help confuse Mahomes and his OL with his speed.

Got it, early downs. Definitely an option if the 49ers don't respect the KC run game. KC operates mostly out of 11 personnel anyway (almost 80% of the time) so I think nickel on early downs will happen naturally. The question is do they match KC's 11 with Dime. Giving Moore, an inexperienced player that hasn't had much playing time past week 3 is risky imo. We'll see.

Great video as always

Can't wait to see the preview video

Appreciate the work you do Jonnydel and what you bring to the thread also thl408
So I notice we motion a lot to see if it's man coverage or not. What happens if we motion and the defense doesn't show that it's man. How does that affect what we do in the run and pass game?
I love how the experts drool over the 49er run game.

Originally posted by rathman4481:
So I notice we motion a lot to see if it's man coverage or not. What happens if we motion and the defense doesn't show that it's man. How does that affect what we do in the run and pass game?

That's an answer that can only be found in the 49ers meeting rooms, 😄.
But LA tried this with us, they'd travel like it was man and then play zone
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

I doubt he would ever keep it, unless it is play action.

He bites hard, jimmy keeps it with deebo coming around for a pitch, kittle hitting a middle crosser, sanders attacking the corner, and juice going deep on the other side.

Agreed. I'm assuming GB was honoring Jimmy's ability to run play action more so than his running ability.
Share 49ersWebzone