There are 210 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
As far as I've understood, the counter, the tackle will collapse down and you'll have a kick out on the EMLOS by either a TE or FB.
With the split zone, the cutback will go up A or B gap and the tackle will look to get to the 2nd level but the RB has freedom to cut back or not.

I usually look for where the cutback attacks harder, on the split zones, usually it's right down the middle of the field and counters you'll see the running back cut outside.

Bosa and Ford have absolutely manipulated the B gap in our favour.
If AR rolls out to pass how does that affect our Quick and power pass rush? Especially preventing the front four and LBs from getting gassed early from pursuit chasing? Sustaining containment on the backside is also important. After watching some tape it seemed as AR was slowing the effectiveness of the SEA rush. What could we see from our line and rotation to mitigate it? Just curious if that is one way GB will try to limit our pass rush?
JD or THL question for you guys. I was listening to a 49ers podcast, not sure which one but I think it was Niners Nation, and they said Jimmy has been his best against single high defenses. From what you have seen does this seem to be true? I know he loves to work the middle of the field. What seems to be his weakness when it comes to defenses? Thanks
I am starting to like this guys channel. Knowledgeable breakdown and easy to listen to.

Originally posted by Luckycharms:
JD or THL question for you guys. I was listening to a 49ers podcast, not sure which one but I think it was Niners Nation, and they said Jimmy has been his best against single high defenses. From what you have seen does this seem to be true? I know he loves to work the middle of the field. What seems to be his weakness when it comes to defenses? Thanks

Well, that's kind of like saying that when teams have fewer guys to stop the run, it's easier to run.

Not meaning that to sound obtuse but most quarterbacks do better against single high in terms of conpletion%.

It's a simple numbers game at that point. In single high zone(cover 3 or zone blitz 3) you're going to have 4, defenders covering 40 feet wide areas in 7 man-coverage or 3 guys covering 53.33 ft in zone blitz. That's also on shorter throws. That leaves easier completions underneath but makes it harder to complete longer passes.

Vs a cover-2 defenders only cover about 33.3 ft on short stuff but deep guys will cover 80 ft wide areas.

Cover 2 is much more effective vs short throws but weak against deep stuff. However, if they play a soft cover 2 it comes down to time to throw. It simply takes guys linger to run a 20 yard route, after cutting and getting to their spot, than it would a 10 yard route(I know this sounds silly) but to beat cover 2, you have to have more time in the pocket, if not, a QB is going to struggle, most of the time.

That's why running the ball becomes so necessary to opening up the pass. If you cant run the ball and keep the defense out of a 2 safety look, options become limited and chances of success go down.

That's why it's been hard to beat these escape artist QB's consistently and why they'll put up video game numbers vs lesser talented teams. They can buy enough time to beat any coverage.

But, the pass vs run thing can go both ways.
When a team can beat C3 consistently, that forces a defense to run more 2 safety stuff which opens up the run game.

Jimmy doing better vs C3 is no surprise.

That's what we need and want from him and how our offense is designed.
We look to beat C3 with our pass and then run the ball in any other look. Makes life really hard on defenses.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I am starting to like this guys channel. Knowledgeable breakdown and easy to listen to.

That dude's production value is through the roof.
Watching that makes me less nervous. But it's the Vikings
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

That dude's production value is through the roof.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
Holy Cow, that's super interesting. A triple trap!?

Olin Kreutz, a 14 year NFL veteran Center, is also puzzled what this blocking scheme is lol. Creative stuff. Wish the run popped for more than 4 yards. If only McG didn't over run that LB.

you think this is one of his best plays deep from his playbook he saved for the post season?
  • thl408
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
you think this is one of his best plays deep from his playbook he saved for the post season?

Could be. I haven't noticed it this season. Perhaps something they'll call again versus a certain D front. The run game has evolved a lot since last season. Right from week 1 I remember vs TB they ran less outside zone. Then as the season went on, it was clear that Kyle had built up his run game. Helps to have the same 5 OL from 2018 to 2019.

Y'all, it's here! Can't believe it! After years of agony, I finally got to do another breakdown of the 49ers in the NFCCG!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Y'all, it's here! Can't believe it! After years of agony, I finally got to do another breakdown of the 49ers in the NFCCG!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Thanks for the work you put in. Giving this a look after work.

Any early ideas about how we match up against the Chiefs?
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:

Thanks for the work you put in. Giving this a look after work.

Any early ideas about how we match up against the Chiefs?

still working through my scouting report on them. I've been focusing more on their offense and am just starting to take a look at their defense while trying to get our defensive review of the Pack done as well, plus Wednesdays are usually a 12 hour work day for me
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Glad your feeling better. Looking forward to your videos
Share 49ersWebzone