There are 239 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
The film is out, I've watched it....Don't know if I feel better or worse. We could have easily been up 27-3 at halftime

It is frustrating to watch.
Originally posted by thl408:
The film is out, I've watched it....Don't know if I feel better or worse. We could have easily been up 27-3 at halftime

You feel much worse if we could of been up 27-3. I'm guessing Jimmy G does suck... or had a horrible game against the cards ?
[ Edited by braap49er on Sep 17, 2020 at 11:40 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by braap49er:

You feel much worse if we could of been up 27-3. I'm guessing Jimmy G does suck... or had a horrible game against the cards ?

Short answer is he had a bad game imo. I know jd loves him some Jimmy so I'm curious what jd has to say after crunching the film.

Short answer is he had a bad game imo. I know jd loves him some Jimmy so I'm curious what jd has to say after crunching the film.

He always seems to start out the year (and last year's preseason) on a bad foot

He definitely had a hand in this, but it wasn't all him. I see a lot of sloppy execution and feel like Shanny's reliance on RB's in the passing game put JImmy in some tough spots.
One play I'm touching on in the video is Jimmy takes a sack. It's a play I think Shanny talked about in his presser where receivers did a decent job separating but weren't given many opportunties with play calls.
We have Mostert running a quick out vs Budda Baker. Budda covers it really well but it takes Mostert 3 seconds to leak out and make his cut, by that point, it's too late to try and reset and the pressure is getting there. If a QB is supposed to wait 3 seconds on 1 route to win or not, then move on, that's just not realistic in my opinion on a 3 step drop. Bourne ran a DIG and he beat his man and was open.

To me, that's tough on your QB.
I think he definitely missed some throws and some opportunities but I felt like there wasn't a good game played by anyone. The fact that no one played a good game, except for maybe juice, and we were still in that game up until the end, is something.
He definitely had a hand in this, but it wasn't all him. I see a lot of sloppy execution and feel like Shanny's reliance on RB's in the passing game put JImmy in some tough spots.
One play I'm touching on in the video is Jimmy takes a sack. It's a play I think Shanny talked about in his presser where receivers did a decent job separating but weren't given many opportunties with play calls.
We have Mostert running a quick out vs Budda Baker. Budda covers it really well but it takes Mostert 3 seconds to leak out and make his cut, by that point, it's too late to try and reset and the pressure is getting there. If a QB is supposed to wait 3 seconds on 1 route to win or not, then move on, that's just not realistic in my opinion on a 3 step drop. Bourne ran a DIG and he beat his man and was open.

I think he definitely missed some throws and some opportunities but I felt like there wasn't a good game played by anyone. The fact that no one played a good game, except for maybe juice, and we were still in that game up until the end, is something.

Yeah there's blame to go around....looking to see the 2020 film analysis breakdowns this yr.

Just from a mechanics perspective Jimmy was gross IMO. His foot work just isn't good (never has been), he never really get's set when he throws...Flat footed throwing off back foot etc. His quick release/arm strength is good, that's great when he has to throw on the run/under pressure BUT man he had time to set his feet and make good throws. Just overall very inaccurate which is unacceptable in this offensive scheme.

edit:

he know lol

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 17, 2020 at 12:14 PM ]
I think that everyone who watched the game knew that Jimmy was making an awful footwork in every way.

It seems that with all these months away from his coaches made his already bad footwork even worse.
[ Edited by Monsterniner on Sep 17, 2020 at 5:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
I think that everyone who watched the game knew that Jimmy was making an awful footwork in every way.

It seems that with all these months away from his coaches made his already bad footwork even worse.

Seriously. Bill Walsh would roll over in his grave watching his footwork. What TF is Kyle doing with Jimmy's?
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 17, 2020 at 7:01 PM ]

On offense it Looked like a team facing its first real game speed of the year hampered by a personnel situation that had them down their top 2 WRs and having a practice squad center. QB was not sharp yet they still had 380+ yards and were in a position to win the game.
Does the film show if this was most of the defenses struggles? Do you think this is the result of Joe Woods leaving and the new guys preference or Salehs idea?
Why fix what wasn't broken?

From M Barrows

The 49ers shook up their defense this season by having Sherman play on the wider side of the field depending on which hashmarks the ball is placed. In the past, he's solely played left cornerback. Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said the 49ers figured that was the best way to utilize all of the cornerbacks' strengths.

"The field cornerback in our scheme plays with a lot more vision," Saleh said during a Zoom call on Thursday. "And when you look at the corners that we have, some guys can play with a lot more vision. For example, Sherm has four of his five interceptions when he's playing the field (side) last year. When he plays with his vision and can go chase things, he's got an unbelievable skill set to be able to do that."
[ Edited by Sourball on Sep 17, 2020 at 6:58 PM ]

Originally posted by Niners816:
On offense it Looked like a team facing its first real game speed of the year hampered by a personnel situation that had them down their top 2 WRs and having a practice squad center. QB was not sharp yet they still had 380+ yards and were in a position to win the game.

Pretty much this in a nutshell.
Share 49ersWebzone