There are 178 users in the forums

Defensive Line Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I really liked Omenhiu, he was really starting to develop and a key rotational guy who played both end spots and even some DT. I can see him getting better and better and thriving in KC

Dude will have about 5 sacks maybe. Most of his production was schemed up. He had 4.5 sacks the last 2 years.
ferrel gives us a run-first guy on the edge. we need that. We also need the giddyap stud rusher who can get guys off bosa. There's still peeps out there.

Supposed to be a good guy.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I think fans want a pure speed guy more than Kocurek. A lot of people don't consider how much of a liability a pure speed rusher can be in this scheme, especially with the ubiquity of mobile QBs around the NFL. One of the inherent weaknesses of the wide 9 are the bubbles/space. There's a ton of space in there between the players, and pure speed rushers create even more space. If they're one trick pony and can only survive by running the arc, they're essentially feast or famine with the influx of mobile QBs around the league. Either they get home or they create a massive escape lane for the quarterback. Kocurek puts a lot of emphasis on rushing as group and caging quarterbacks inside the pocket. That's not what pure speed guys do well. Most of them are undersized and struggle to play through contact.

Ideally, you want a guy that can win with speed but isn't entirely dependent on it. It's just one tool in the toolbox.

Would Van Noy be a utility fit? Could he play as a base 4-3 OLB for some looks, or be the 4-3 olb but play a lot less of it.

I mentioned i liked him or Ingram for the muddy crowded looks. AA and Hargraves hand in dirt, with bosa, drake, warner, van noy, greenlaw. And maybe Hufanga or Gipson standing up.
Or just "simple zone overload blitz" with him dropping to a short zone looking for a pick.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Mar 15, 2023 at 2:12 PM ]
whats goin on with jordan willis. the guy was solid for us everytime he played, i think he should be a priority signing as we can probably get him for a cheaper price. maybe hes looking for more money elsewhere.
Originally posted by BobSacamano69:
whats goin on with jordan willis. the guy was solid for us everytime he played, i think he should be a priority signing as we can probably get him for a cheaper price. maybe hes looking for more money elsewhere.

Same thing as last year. He didn't sign with the 9ers until late March.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Would Van Noy be a utility fit? Could he play as a base 4-3 OLB for some looks, or be the 4-3 olb but play a lot less of it.

I mentioned i liked him or Ingram for the muddy crowded looks. AA and Hargraves hand in dirt, with bosa, drake, warner, van noy, greenlaw. And maybe Hufanga or Gipson standing up.
Or just "simple zone overload blitz" with him dropping to a short zone looking for a pick.

I don't think the 49ers want to spend much money on the other OLB position, and unless Wilks plans to overhaul the defensive scheme, which Shanny implied he wouldn't, I don't think Van Noy is a great fit at any other spot, especially DE. Van Noy is a versatile player in scheme with moving parts. He's not the type of player you just leave at 1 position like end and expect him to consistently beat tackles 1-on-1. He's best used in schemes where they manufacture pressure with games and blitzes; a guy used to disguise coverages or mess with protections. He had his best years with Belichick because that's exactly what the hoodie had him do.

I don't think the 49ers want to spend much money on the other OLB position, and unless Wilks plans to overhaul the defensive scheme, which Shanny implied he wouldn't, I don't think Van Noy is a great fit at any other spot, especially DE. Van Noy is a versatile player in scheme with moving parts. He's not the type of player you just leave at 1 position like end and expect him to consistently beat tackles 1-on-1. He's best used in schemes where they manufacture pressure with games and blitzes; a guy used to disguise coverages or mess with protections. He had his best years with Belichick because that's exactly what the hoodie had him do.

I think we either draft or elevate a guy rather than look to FA to fill the LB void.

However, one name that interests me is Drue Tranquill. Probably out of our range even at 4-5mil but Anthony Lynn was his HC for awhile, he is good in coverage, fast, and if Wilks plans to use more blitzes then Tranquill was used that way last season for 5 sacks.

Don't expect it, but wouldn't hate it.
Originally posted by pd24:
Still want a speed type edge

They talked to Byron Young of Tennessee at the combine. Both he and Robert Beal Jr. ran sub 4.5 40's at around 6-3 250 lbs each. I think both are projected for round 3 or lower, but that's if they wait for the draft.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 15, 2023 at 7:23 PM ]
Isn't the speed type edge Drake Jackson?
Now Lynch just needs to go out and get Calais Campbell and call it a day for FA! Campbell could come super cheap and expressed he wants to play for a contender. He's up there in age but still dominant in the trenches, also at his age he won't demand a full-time starting role. With Bosa-Hargrave-Armstead-Campbell on base downs nobody is running the ball on them. Drake can come in on obvious passing downs and dominate with his pass rushing skillset. Warner and Greenlaw would appreciate that DL on base downs.

Originally posted by JaggedJ:

I think we either draft or elevate a guy rather than look to FA to fill the LB void.

However, one name that interests me is Drue Tranquill. Probably out of our range even at 4-5mil but Anthony Lynn was his HC for awhile, he is good in coverage, fast, and if Wilks plans to use more blitzes then Tranquill was used that way last season for 5 sacks.

Don't expect it, but wouldn't hate it.

Is Oren Burks not under contract? He ranked 17th in the league last season amongst all linebackers, just 3 spots behind Greenlaw. Tranquill didn't even rank in the top 50. I thought it was Burks that made Al-Shaair dispensable.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 16, 2023 at 4:08 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Is Oren Burks not under contract? He ranked 17th in the league last season amongst all linebackers, just 3 spots behind Greenlaw. Tranquill didn't even rank in the top 50. I thought it was Burks that made Al-Shaair dispensable.

oh, is that it. i was wondering.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

oh, is that it. i was wondering.

Oren Burks is under contract through this season. I just checked on spotrac.
Would love to just put the finishing touch on this free agency and bring in either yannik, Floyd, clowney, or Dupree. That would just put a stamp on this D-line being a massive problem for the rest of the league. Go get it done Lynch the market should be in your favour with so many edge FA's out there
Originally posted by goatroppolo:
Would love to just put the finishing touch on this free agency and bring in either yannik, Floyd, clowney, or Dupree. That would just put a stamp on this D-line being a massive problem for the rest of the league. Go get it done Lynch the market should be in your favour with so many edge FA's out there

It would be great to sign an 8-10 sack guy for under 10m. Like GRAHAM. Then invest some of our 8 jillian picks on a blobby zero-tech and a couple of 230 pound speed rusher projects.
Share 49ersWebzone