Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
My predictions

pettis - last years high draft pick wont be cut
Deebo - high draft pick wont be cut
Hurd - same as above
Goodwin - 4.3 speed our deep threat and veteran presence
Matthews - imo looks very explosive, our only 6-3 wr with 4.4 speed, would of had 100 yards on 3 catches with 1td if Mullens didnt miss him. Shanahan also sang his praise.
Richie James - can do what trent taylor does with punt return role

Out man out:
Bourne - good but prefer matthews explosiveness in terms of height and speed
Trent taylor - 4.65 one trick pony and always injured

I think they keep 7, including Taylor and Kyle ends up going with 2 QB's
Originally posted by Scarlettlove:
I concur

Besides, Taylor is Kittle's best friend. I want to keep Kittle happy
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 60sFan:
My predictions

Hurd - same as above
Matthews - imo looks very explosive, our only 6-3 wr with 4.4 speed, would of had 100 yards on 3 catches with 1td if Mullens didnt miss him. Shanahan also sang his praise.

Out man out:

KS has already publicly said 3 QB's.
Originally posted by jcs:

That's not really what he said. He just said you won't find one of our qbs on the wire. Posturing for a trade is more likely.
I think Trent ends up on short term IR. That means initially they would keep 7 since Taylor has to be on the 53 before going to short term IR.

Goodwin,Pettis,Samuel,Hurd,James, Matthews and Taylor are the initial 7 with Taylor going to short term IR the day following cuts. As a result of keeping 7 WR initially Niners keep one less player elsewhere on the roster that would be resigned when Trent goes to IR or they find a trade partner for Beathard.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

That's not really what he said. He just said you won't find one of our qbs on the wire. Posturing for a trade is more likely.
"We have three very good quarterbacks. We plan on having three this year. Just like every other player on our roster, if someone thinks there's a way to upgrade our team, we'll always listen."

"We're not ever going to get rid of NFL Players. And I know we've got three NFL quarterbacks. They're not easy to come by, regardless of where you drafted them or anything. When you have that you just don't give that away. Sometimes that takes years to find" - KS
[ Edited by jcs on Aug 27, 2019 at 8:24 AM ]
Unfortunately I think Bourne is the odd man out. I think we keep 7 WRs with only 8 OLs.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by E-49er:
I think Trent ends up on short term IR. That means initially they would keep 7 since Taylor has to be on the 53 before going to short term IR.

Goodwin,Pettis,Samuel,Hurd,James, Matthews and Taylor are the initial 7 with Taylor going to short term IR the day following cuts. As a result of keeping 7 WR initially Niners keep one less player elsewhere on the roster that would be resigned when Trent goes to IR or they find a trade partner for Beathard.

I think you can cut taylor and he clears waivers.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
I think you can cut taylor and he clears waivers.

He would be on the pats in 6 seconds if you did that.
My predictions

Hurd - same as above

Out man out:
Yeah, I think Bourne is the odd man out, too many drops in my opinion and Taylor unfortunately can't stay on the field and there are more explosive guys now on the roster as well. Maybe one of those guys in favor of Matthews but I wouldn't guarantee it.

"We have three very good quarterbacks. We plan on having three this year. Just like every other player on our roster, if someone thinks there's a way to upgrade our team, we'll always listen."

"We're not ever going to get rid of NFL Players. And I know we've got three NFL quarterbacks. They're not easy to come by, regardless of where you drafted them or anything. When you have that you just don't give that away. Sometimes that takes years to find" - KS
Totally agree with that quote. There will be a team calling as soon as their starting QB gets hurt.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
My predictions

Hurd - same as above

Out man out:

I am calling BS on KS
imagine if Pettis makes it, Bourne doesn't, and we come to find out Pettis mind/heart just isn't as in it like the others. then it would be a waste to cut Bourne.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
imagine if Pettis makes it, Bourne doesn't, and we come to find out Pettis mind/heart just isn't as in it like the others. then it would be a waste to cut Bourne.
There shouldn't be a problem if that situation arises. The receiving corps seems to have great potential and depth.
The only 3 I'm not sure about are Matthews/Goodwin/Bourne. Matthews is better than Bourne but is 3 years older and costs a little more. Goodwin is the oldest by far and the most expensive by $4 million. I know he's the fastest but he really isn't a great receiver. How many times do the Niners really use the deep sideline or middle pattern. They need better pass blocking to give him time to get open. I would be fine with any combination of these 3 guys since each has something that the others don't, whether it's size, speed, experience, route running or age.
Share 49erswebzone