There are 114 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
My predictions

pettis - last years high draft pick wont be cut
Deebo - high draft pick wont be cut
Hurd - same as above
Goodwin - 4.3 speed our deep threat and veteran presence
Matthews - imo looks very explosive, our only 6-3 wr with 4.4 speed, would of had 100 yards on 3 catches with 1td if Mullens didnt miss him. Shanahan also sang his praise.
Richie James - can do what trent taylor does with punt return role

Out man out:
Bourne - good but prefer matthews explosiveness in terms of height and speed
Trent taylor - 4.65 one trick pony and always injured

I think they keep 7, including Taylor and Kyle ends up going with 2 QB's

KS has already publicly said 3 QB's.

Yeah but, that could just be lying you can't get Beathard for free. He's never kept 3 qb's as a HC or OC.



Shanny had three QB's on the roster last year and the year before that.

Mullens was on the PS last year and the year prior.
Who I see making the 53

Goodwin D's must respect his speed
Pettis quick release & great foot work
James (mainly because of ST)
Taylor QB's best friend, route running
Hurd red zone threat
Samuel tough and versatile

I don't think we keep more than 6 wr. Which leaves Bourne and Matthews on the chopping block.

Bourne red zone threat
Matthews speed and route running

I believe Hurd is Bourne's replacement as the teams red zone threat. Hurd has a much higher ceiling and so far seems to have great hands and the ability to high point the ball.

As much as I like Matthew's and was excited about the signing, I just don't see him making the cut. Mostly because of the personel packages that KS likes to run. But also, because he hasn't stood out among a talented group of wr we have fielded this pre season.

We are building for the future and I see a great group of young wr with a lot of potential and I just don't see us letting any of our last 3 draft picks walk.

I also believe that Kyle is serious about keeping 3 QB's on the 53. I like all 3 of our QB's with JG as the clear starter and Mullens slightly a head of Beathard for the back up role. Both Mullens and Beathard have really nice potential and it would suck losing either one without compensation.
Originally posted by insanemike27:

Both Mullens and Beathard have really nice potential and it would suck losing either one without compensation.

If they both have nice potential why wouldn't anyone offer compensation?

We can't really have it both ways, IMO.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by insanemike27:

Both Mullens and Beathard have really nice potential and it would suck losing either one without compensation.

If they both have nice potential why wouldn't anyone offer compensation?

We can't really have it both ways, IMO.

It is circumstance mostly. Beathard has a nice arm but he is young and still learning the nuances of KS offense. Mullens has the better grasp of the offense and takes what the defense gives him but he doesn't have an elite arm. Kyle is comfortable with both QB's running his offense and having not 1 but 2 back up QB's who can run your offense is invaluable in today's NFL where passing takes precedence over the running game. Our 2 back ups may not be valuable to the other 31 teams but it sure sounds like they are valuable to Kyle Shanahan.

Think about last season when we lost JG and Beathard to injury, Mullens stepped in and was serviceable. Fast forward to today and both Beathard and Mullens are now another year in this system. God forbid we have only 2 QB's on the 53 and both get hurt and there is no one available who can run the offense.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on Aug 27, 2019 at 7:44 PM ]
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
My predictions

pettis - last years high draft pick wont be cut
Deebo - high draft pick wont be cut
Hurd - same as above
Goodwin - 4.3 speed our deep threat and veteran presence
Matthews - imo looks very explosive, our only 6-3 wr with 4.4 speed, would of had 100 yards on 3 catches with 1td if Mullens didnt miss him. Shanahan also sang his praise.
Richie James - can do what trent taylor does with punt return role

Out man out:
Bourne - good but prefer matthews explosiveness in terms of height and speed
Trent taylor - 4.65 one trick pony and always injured

I think they keep 7, including Taylor and Kyle ends up going with 2 QB's

KS has already publicly said 3 QB's.

Yeah but, that could just be lying you can't get Beathard for free. He's never kept 3 qb's as a HC or OC.



Shanny had three QB's on the roster last year and the year before that.

No he didn't. He will keep a youngster on the PS, and he will of course have to clear waivers.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Aug 27, 2019 at 9:11 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,009
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
My predictions

pettis - last years high draft pick wont be cut
Deebo - high draft pick wont be cut
Hurd - same as above
Goodwin - 4.3 speed our deep threat and veteran presence
Matthews - imo looks very explosive, our only 6-3 wr with 4.4 speed, would of had 100 yards on 3 catches with 1td if Mullens didnt miss him. Shanahan also sang his praise.
Richie James - can do what trent taylor does with punt return role

Out man out:
Bourne - good but prefer matthews explosiveness in terms of height and speed
Trent taylor - 4.65 one trick pony and always injured

I think they keep 7, including Taylor and Kyle ends up going with 2 QB's

KS has already publicly said 3 QB's.

Yeah but, that could just be lying you can't get Beathard for free. He's never kept 3 qb's as a HC or OC.



Shanny had three QB's on the roster last year and the year before that.

No he didn't. He will keep a youngster on the PS, and he will of course have to clear waivers.

Wilton should clear waivers, he's not shown much on the field, but I'm sure ShanaLych knows what they have through the practice. From that one pass in the (I think) first game, he has a nice arc to his throws and his arm is - I think - stronger than Mullens.

Come on Lynch - do your Ford and Jimmy magic and get some OLine help with a BeatHard trade!
They might put Hurd on IR for 8 weeks which would change the mix a bit. I think they can go with 7 WR's. They can cut Mathews and sign him the next day.
So far only three WRs have been worth a damn, in priority order:

1. Deebo
2. Richie
3. Goodwin


Richie and Deebo should be starting

Pettis is so deep in the cathouse idk if he can recover. Talented guy, but grew up rich and is too soft at this level maybe.

You guys love Trent so we'll see how he fits in, but Richie has earned heavy PT and Trent should not take away from his snap count. Bourne is Bourne. Decent fifth or sixth WR.

Looking forward to seeing what Hurd can do
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 26,193
JG Missing Taylor

Quick easy middle dumps
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,410
Good should be traded
Pettis can be used in package and should be traded asap
Bourne, may just now warming up Trent's seat once he gets back..

  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 32,113
Originally posted by Crown:
JG Missing Taylor

Quick easy middle dumps

Not sure he's missing Taylor at all. Offense is clicking right now.
CUT JIMMY START CJ
  • titan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,972
Originally posted by 9moon:
Good should be traded
Pettis can be used in package and should be traded asap
Bourne, may just now warming up Trent's seat once he gets back..

No way I trade Goodwin to roll the dice on Pettis!
I didn't see much of James in today's game. What did I missed....
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Crown:
JG Missing Taylor

Quick easy middle dumps

Not sure he's missing Taylor at all. Offense is clicking right now.

This. He didn't miss Trent at all today. Offense played the best it has, by far, since Kyle has taken over.
Share 49erswebzone