LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by jcs:
I think you can cut taylor and he clears waivers.

He would be on the pats in 6 seconds if you did that.

Exactly. Why would you cut him when you can stash him on short term IR and bring him back after 6 weeks where they probably will have injuries that they can put someone on IR for or release someone from the bottom of the roster and bring Taylor back. The guy gets open on 3rd down.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by E-49er:

Exactly. Why would you cut him when you can stash him on short term IR and bring him back after 6 weeks where they probably will have injuries that they can put someone on IR for or release someone from the bottom of the roster and bring Taylor back. The guy gets open on 3rd down.

You guys need to look at the Pats WRs today it's no longer 2009. Taylor also can't stay healthy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
My predictions

pettis - last years high draft pick wont be cut
Deebo - high draft pick wont be cut
Hurd - same as above
Goodwin - 4.3 speed our deep threat and veteran presence
Matthews - imo looks very explosive, our only 6-3 wr with 4.4 speed, would of had 100 yards on 3 catches with 1td if Mullens didnt miss him. Shanahan also sang his praise.
Richie James - can do what trent taylor does with punt return role

Out man out:
Bourne - good but prefer matthews explosiveness in terms of height and speed
Trent taylor - 4.65 one trick pony and always injured

Yeah but consistently getting open and making clutch catches on third downs is a pretty neat trick.

Making clutch catches and getting tackled short of the first down....yeah pretty neat. 😏
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
You guys need to look at the Pats WRs today it's no longer 2009. Taylor also can't stay healthy.
thus the reason why kyle brought in three guys who are polar opposite of little ankle breaking guys

They have pothead Gordon , Demaryius Thomas , Harry and Edelman. After that it's just guys.Edelman is their short area back and no one else on their roster can do what Edelman does at that level. Taylor could fill that role for them if Edelman got hurt. I can see them signing Taylor if he was released but even if they don't someone will because he gets open on 3rd down.

As far as his health he has about 2-4
more weeks before his foot is healed. If I'm Shanahan I dont cut him. I do exactly what I said. Having him in the slot on 3rd down is a mismatch because of his short area quickness. That is valuable in the NFL. Why cut him if he can contribute to the team this season? Injuries happen sometimes. I dont think he is injury prone.
Goodwin seems to only be mentioned by his great speed but never for his questionable hands
My predictions

Hurd - same as above
Matthews - imo looks very explosive, our only 6-3 wr with 4.4 speed, would of had 100 yards on 3 catches with 1td if Mullens didnt miss him. Shanahan also sang his praise.

Out man out:

Yes, Taylor's one trick is converting third downs . Trent Taylor is not going to get cut. Not sure why people keep trying to sell that narrative. I can see that Richie James is going to become the new Trent Brown, or Khalil Mack, or Patrick Mahomes, the guy that certain posters will never let go of in case he doesn't end up on the team. Trent Taylor could come back perfectly healthy, return to his rookie form where 60% of his completions went for first downs, or whatever the stat was, be a guy who consistently moves the chains and people will be like, but, but, but Richie James. Personally I think Bourne is more likely to get cut than James at this point, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.
My predictions

Hurd - same as above

Out man out:

What explosiveness?

Exactly. He's white and short.
I think both Richie Jr and Trent both make this team. Bourne will be the odd man out. They could also keep Mathews with only 8 OLinemen and 2 TEs kept.

They have pothead Gordon , Demaryius Thomas , Harry and Edelman. After that it's just guys.Edelman is their short area back and no one else on their roster can do what Edelman does at that level. Taylor could fill that role for them if Edelman got hurt. I can see them signing Taylor if he was released but even if they don't someone will because he gets open on 3rd down.

more weeks before his foot is healed. If I'm Shanahan I dont cut him. I do exactly what I said. Having him in the slot on 3rd down is a mismatch because of his short area quickness. That is valuable in the NFL. Why cut him if he can contribute to the team this season? Injuries happen sometimes. I dont think he is injury prone.

TBF, I like Gordon. I don't believe the pot interfered with his NFL abilities, but the league rules on pot sure did. It's when he got into booze after being suspended for pot and getting that DUI that things got out of hand quickly.

I like Gordon, and if there is any coach on the planet that can keep him sober, it's Bellicheat. Gordon was a great receiver before his troubles, one of the best in the league.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
My predictions

Hurd - same as above

Out man out:

I think they keep 7, including Taylor and Kyle ends up going with 2 QB's

KS has already publicly said 3 QB's.

Yeah but, that could just be lying you can't get Beathard for free. He's never kept 3 qb's as a HC or OC.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

TBF, I like Gordon. I don't believe the pot interfered with his NFL abilities, but the league rules on pot sure did. It's when he got into booze after being suspended for pot and getting that DUI that things got out of hand quickly.

I like Gordon, and if there is any coach on the planet that can keep him sober, it's Bellicheat. Gordon was a great receiver before his troubles, one of the best in the league.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

I think Gordon is talented but the suspensions for the pot use gets in the way. The pothead remark I made wasnt a reflection of his abilities.
We signed nick williams. Pretty much a poor mans trent taylor...
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
My predictions

Hurd - same as above

Out man out:

I think they keep 7, including Taylor and Kyle ends up going with 2 QB's

KS has already publicly said 3 QB's.

Yeah but, that could just be lying you can't get Beathard for free. He's never kept 3 qb's as a HC or OC.

Shanny had three QB's on the roster last year and the year before that.
Share 49ersWebzone