There are 274 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Trent Taylor
Jordan Matthews
R. James

In that order.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
With our two new additions, we have 11 wide receivers on our roster. Assuming we keep 6 on the roster, which 5 don't make it? Smallwood, McCaffrey and Dunbar seem like 3 obvious ones as they've been on the bottom of the depth chart.

Goodwin, Pettis, Mathews, Samuel seem to be the only 4 locks to make the active roster.

That would leave Hurd, Bourne, Taylor, James to complete for 2 spots. It seems pretty unfathomable that they'd cut Hurd, a high 3rd round pick. They may plan using him at TE eventually, but he's never played that position before. Bourne was our leading receiver last year, but James is our return man. I think Taylor may be the odd man out, because we don't need another slot receiver, and he's been injured. With his frame, he probably shouldn't play long in the NFL anyway.
Hurd will make the team. Of those last other three I'm keeping Taylor. He gives us some unique skills at wr we really don't get for a slot wr. Sure he's slow but has elite quickness and a great route runner and was amazing on 3rd down when Garoppolo was healthy. The other two don't bring anything new from the other guys, and I'd consider dropping Matthews in favor of Bourne
Holding out hope that Taylor can make the roster.

Sure he's not fast, but he can get open, especially on 3rd down. Jimmy seems to have real chemistry with him as well.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Goodwin will be a surprise cut. He might not be committed with this Olympics crap that he keeps talking about

Not happening, they'd lose money right now, and only gain $400K if cut after June 1. Better bet is a trade, but he should be kept.
Pettis, Samuel, Goodwin, Hurd, Mathews, Taylor will be left.
not a fan of trent taylor
slow and injury prone - low back injuries are chronic
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Apr 27, 2019 at 7:19 PM ]
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Cut Goodwin already
Seems pretty obvious that Ritchie, trent, matthews, and Bourne are competing for 2 spots.
I don't thjnk Mathews makes the team. And my surprise cut/trade is going to be Kendrick Bourne. Richie is more versatile and explosive than Bourne
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

He doesn't need to be fast. He's shifty and quick as hell and knows how to get open and has chemistry with Garoppolo

Originally posted by 60sFan:
Pettis, Samuel, Goodwin, Hurd, Mathews, Taylor will be left.

like this lineup
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
I don't thjnk Mathews makes the team. And my surprise cut/trade is going to be Kendrick Bourne. Richie is more versatile and explosive than Bourne

Bourne being cut wouldn't be a surprise whatsoever
Originally posted by dirtyrottenscoundrel:

He doesn't need to be fast. He's shifty and quick as hell and knows how to get open and has chemistry with Garoppolo

we just draft another shifty and quick WR in deebo
goodwin - our only deep threat - stays
jordan matthews - our only possession physical type big tall wr - stays if healthy
pettis - similar to trent taylor, another shifty and quick type
bourne - similar to trent taylor and pettis.

I think it will be between bourne and trent. Bourne has outplayed trent IMHO.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
we just draft another shifty and quick WR in deebo
goodwin - our only deep threat - stays
jordan matthews - our only possession physical type big tall wr - stays if healthy
pettis - similar to trent taylor, another shifty and quick type
bourne - similar to trent taylor and pettis.

I think it will be between bourne and trent. Bourne has outplayed trent IMHO.

Bourne can line up outside as well, I think Trent is done
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Seems pretty obvious that Ritchie, trent, matthews, and Bourne are competing for 2 spots.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone