LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think the starters will be Pettis, Samuel, Mathews. Goodwin Backs up Pettis, Hurd Backs up Mathews and Bourne sticks to back up Samuel. James is a returner and can also play the slot. Taylor has been hurt and doesnt bring as much in the return game so hes the odd man out. I think Hurd with play Hback and also carry the ball on goal line at times. Its about being versatile. The Wr group we have can do so many different things and really should put defenses in a bind.
You really have to look at skillset and what everyone brings as a group. Then factor in age, contract, draft position, and assuming everyone is performing at their absolute best, it becomes pretty easy to see who will stick. I think all of the guys bring something to the table, but if your ceiling is limited compared to the others, or you are only a receiver, and not one of the top 4, you are cut/traded. For a player like Matthews, it's even tougher because why would you keep a veteran with that many years experience that can ONLY play receiver if they aren't in the top 3? Finishing any lower than that only hinders the development of some of the other guys.

On another note, guys with track speed (not football speed, but track speed) that can actually play football don't grow on trees. Goodwin is as much of a lock as Samuel unless something goes incredibly wrong with him.

Again, it all boils down to 1) what do you bring to the position group 2) age 3) contract 4) draft position.
normally you'd assume that it'd be samuels, pettis and hurd starting. However you're not going to go into a season w/ 2 rookies as starting receivers and one barely proven 2nd year receiver. The o-line is weak enough that JG will get killed w/ folks not being able to get open.
Thus, (barring injuries or trades), I anticipate Pettis, Samuels (slot) and Goodwyn/Matthews starting (with Samuels playing the slot). even that worries me, but the hope is that w/ the TE and the RBs in the picture, someone gets open quick enough.
the hope would be that 1/2 way through the season, pettis and samuels truly distinguish themselves and richie james takes over the slot (w/ hurd playing the offensive weapon role sometimes).
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
For me it comes down to two matchups.

Matthews v Bourne

James v Taylor

This.
Locks: Goodwin, Samuel, Hurd, Pettis

Good Bet: Matthews

Camp Battle: Taylor vs. James

Wildcard: Bourne

I figure we keep 6 WRs, especially with Hurd's versatility. That leaves two spots. Matthews has the inside track to one of them, but Bourne can over take him if he takes a big step forward. I think Shanahan wants a small, twitchy slot guy, so one of Taylor or James makes it. My bet is Taylor IF he is 100% healthy.

Ultimately, it will be the healthiest 6 that make it. I am not sure that Bourne, James, or Taylor have any trade value, but I could be wrong.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by Rascal:
The cuts in most part will be pretty obvious:

• Smallwood
  • McCaffrey
  • Dunbar
  • Taylor (Just way too slow)
  • Goodwin (I don't know what are the financial implications, but between him and Richie James, I would rather take James. Goodwin has been like glass and doesn't play hard enough in my opinion)

Bourne is gone before Goodwin

Not necessarily. Goodwin is soft, can't stay healthy and can't play through injuries. Last season, he couldn't even break 400 yards and missed 5 games.
What no one is talking about is who will be the KR/PR and the chance of injuries. There is a good chance with hamstrings, etc that no WR gets cut and a few end up on IR before the season starts. I predict that Taylor and Bourne get a hang nail injury and are designated to return after week 6
  • thl408
Early guess is Pettis, Deebo, Goodwin, Hurd make the cut with little competition.
Taylor vs RJames: James wins due to kick return ability
Bourne vs Matthews: not similar in play style, but will be competing for the same roster spot. Matthews ends up making it.
Originally posted by Karma:
Locks: Goodwin, Samuel, Hurd, Pettis

Good Bet: Matthews

Camp Battle: Taylor vs. James

Wildcard: Bourne

I figure we keep 6 WRs, especially with Hurd's versatility. That leaves two spots. Matthews has the inside track to one of them, but Bourne can over take him if he takes a big step forward. I think Shanahan wants a small, twitchy slot guy, so one of Taylor or James makes it. My bet is Taylor IF he is 100% healthy.

Ultimately, it will be the healthiest 6 that make it. I am not sure that Bourne, James, or Taylor have any trade value, but I could be wrong.

Solid assessment, I bet they might trade Bourne if they can.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
OK, let's do this again given we have added 2 more WRs amongst UDFAs.

Keep

• Deebo Samuel
  • Dante Pettis
  • Jordan Matthews
  • Jalen Hurd
  • Shawn Poindexter
  • Kendrick Bourne
  • Richie James

Cut

• Marquise Goodwin
  • Max McCaffrey
  • Trent Taylor
  • Jordan Smallwood
  • Steven Dunbar
  • Malik Henry

The only point of contention is Marquise Goodwin as some have commented. But, I happen to think Goodwin is too soft, can't take the hits and can't play through injuries. I would take both Bourne and James over him. James is shifty and Bourne has shown plenty of guts taking massive hits in the slot plus he can run after the catch too. I can't really comment on Smallwood, Dunbar and Henry other than I doubt they would be good enough. McCaffrey should have been cut long ago if not for preferential treatment because of family contact. All in all, the way I've shaped the WR corps is that I've given it much more size and physicality with guys like Hurd, Poindexter and Matthews. While at the same time I have kept a balance of shiftier guys like Deebo, James and Bourne. Oops, I forgot about Pettis. May be we can keep 7? If not, between Bourne and James, one will have to go.
[ Edited by Rascal on Apr 28, 2019 at 8:04 AM ]

• Eazy_
  • Veteran
If they keep 6

1. Goodwin
2. Samuel
3. Pettis
4. Hurd
5. Taylor
6. James

Cut -> Bourne, Matthews, McCaffrey, Dunbar, Smallwood, Henry, Poindexter
[ Edited by Eazy_ on May 3, 2019 at 8:18 PM ]
I wish they could trade a couple of wide receivers for olinemen.
Dante Pettis, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd and Marquise Goodwin are locks to me.

Last two spots are a toss up between Trent Taylor, Richie James, Kendrick Bourne and Jordan Matthews.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 28, 2019 at 2:45 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
only Pettis - Richie - Taylor will be staying from last year..
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
only Pettis - Richie - Taylor will be staying from last year..

I can almost guarantee you Trent Taylor will be gone. The dude is just way too slow.
Share 49ersWebzone