There are 220 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well, the locks are Pettis-Samuel-Hurd to be kept. Then Goodwin will be kept, and hopefully Mathews-James, with Taylor being traded for a future draft pick, and Bourne cut.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
You might want to add 2 more freshly signed UDFAs before we talk about cuts:

• Malik Henry (6'0", 175 lbs)
  • Shawn Poindexter (6'5", 218 lbs)
Taylor isn't going to get traded. Hurd seems kind of similar to Matthews who I think will have to prove he deserves to make the cut. Goodwin is a big question mark to me. If he can come back with his head screwed on straight then you have to like his chances of sticking, if not.....half of the battle in this league is being able to show up, which Goodwin didn't do last year. Now he's talking about going to the Olympics, so who knows. I could see Bourne not making it, even though he seems like a guy who still could breakout.
I think there is the possibility that Goodwin, taylor or bourne will be traded towards the end of camp (depending on injuries)

Pettis - Samuel - Hurd are all extremely talented. Only problem is they don't have any experience in this league besides pettis. So we will need some sort of veteran experience.
I believe Hurd is a project at TE

Cuts might be Taylor, Matthews, and Godwin
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:

I don't think we cut all of them, I think we can get trade value for Taylor or Goodwin.

I don't think anything will happen until later in training camp though to see if any injuries happen.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I see the starters being Mathews, Pettis, and deebo. No order. But Hurd makes it, James is special teams so he makes it. I think those are the only locks.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Seems pretty obvious that Ritchie, trent, matthews, and Bourne are competing for 2 spots.

Mathews will stay,. James is a returner, so he's staying
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Seems pretty obvious that Ritchie, trent, matthews, and Bourne are competing for 2 spots.

Mathews will stay,. James is a returner, so he's staying

Didn't Matthews get cut from a couple teams in the last couple years? I always liked him and hope he shows well this offseason. But he's definitely not a lock.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Goodwin
Pettis
Deebo
Hurd
Matthews
James

These are mine to make the club.

Might have to keep 7 WRs and just 2 TEs instead of the usual 3. Hurd and Juice are considered OW and can line up at TE if needed.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Apr 28, 2019 at 2:02 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran

I Really don't see Hurd as a TE. He's a horrific blocker at WR.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Goodwin, Pettis, Samuel and Hurd are locks. Matthews and Bourne in competition, James and Taylor in competition. It wouldn't surprise me if either Taylor or James pick up an "injury" with designation to return later.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:

I Really don't see Hurd as a TE. He's a horrific blocker at WR.

Yeah, Hurd is not much of a blocker, but he should still get some reps at TE, occasionally.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DownSouth49er:
The consecutive selections of wide receivers could be an indication that the team is worried about Taylor's ability to recover from his back issues. Don't forget that R. James was also selected last year, which kind of eliminates the need for one of them. Who knows? Maybe Shanahan envisions Hurd as an H-back/TE type. If that's the case, that means one less receiver is out of a spot.

either that or they privately agreed with me and others that we have the most underwhelming group of wide outs in the nfl. i did not say worse.. but you could make a case for that as well. this is one case where. we like our guys,. was bs in regards to the wide outs
Share 49ersWebzone