LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

Is Robert Saleh doing a good job in 2018

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Robert Saleh doing a good job in 2018

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thanks, jcs. That was the unstated point. It was surprising that we didn't hear anything about JL/KS at least interviewing some potential DCs. Altho who knows, perhaps they did. At least, one would have hoped for more talented DB coaches.

Odds are increasing that Todd Bowles gets fired by the end of the season. If Kyle were to snatch him up......

I'd be 100% on board with this hire.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The Jets are 24th in yards allowed and 35th in pts allowed. Upgrade?

Bowles isn't the DC with the Jets, Kacy Rogers handles the playcalling. Having watched Bowles extensively as a playcaller, he's incredibly creative, comes up with all sorts of wild blitz packages and his triple A gap blitzes are basically unstoppable. He has an aggressive approach to defense that would work well with Kyle's offensive philosophy.

I used to go look at Cardinals game footage just to see all the nutty stuff that Bowles came up with. You had seasoned veteran QB's playing erratically because there were blitzers coming from every single spot on the field, you just never knew where the pressure would come from. He was also outstanding in terms of his second half in-game adjustments. That was probably his best overall quality as a DC.

Also, it would just feel right.

35th? Are they behind Alabama and Clemson?
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Yes

Bowles isn't the DC with the Jets, Kacy Rogers handles the playcalling. Having watched Bowles extensively as a playcaller, he's incredibly creative, comes up with all sorts of wild blitz packages and his triple A gap blitzes are basically unstoppable. He has an aggressive approach to defense that would work well with Kyle's offensive philosophy.

I used to go look at Cardinals game footage just to see all the nutty stuff that Bowles came up with. You had seasoned veteran QB's playing erratically because there were blitzers coming from every single spot on the field, you just never knew where the pressure would come from. He was also outstanding in terms of his second half in-game adjustments. That was probably his best overall quality as a DC.

You beat me. Philosophically, he's the Kyle Shanahan of defense. Attack, attack, attack and keep them off balance.
Originally posted by NCommand:

You beat me. Philosophically, he's the Kyle Shanahan of defense. Attack, attack, attack and keep them off balance.

This. It would be a marriage made in heaven.

With that said, after 24 games, Saleh finally has a signature game as a DC. The Raiders may have a terrible offense, but the Cardinals offense is even worse, and they put up season highs against us in points and bested their yards per game average against us both times. So to go out a dismantle a bad offense with his bad defense is pretty impressive.

I'll also say I was surprised to find out we were 17th in yards yesterday. Us being ranked so low in points (29th) makes perfect sense now. The defense is slightly below average in terms of yards given up, but when you add in the turnovers and penalties, that equals offenses scoring on some short fields. Still not sold on him though. He may be a Darrell Bevel type of DC. Bevel was able to succeed in Seattle for awhile because of the talents of Russell Wilson, making Bevel look far better than he actually was (just an average to below average play caller). Adding some top tier defensive players may have a similar effect on Saleh.
I think to answer the OP Saleh is doing an acceptable job considering what he has at his disposal.

IMO he deserves a chance with improved talent, however if a proven DC became available with a scheme that fit then we should be tempted.

Shanahan says he's always looking to improve us and that should include his coaching staff.

That said I would absolutely not just take a punt on a position coach.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
As long as hes around, this defense will be garbage.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

I dunno. Still feel like we need to make it through this season to see how it pans out. Yeah, the next few games may help our ranks, but we have a chance to show improvement against decent teams too.

Amazing how well the defense does when the ball isn't turned over and constantly put on the 25 yard line.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

What would be your suggested fix?
I like saleh...he just needs a pro bowler at every single defensive position. Is that really too much to ask for ?
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I like saleh...he just needs a pro bowler at every single defensive position. Is that really too much to ask for ?

It would help giving him 1 edge rusher. Kind of hard to get pressure on the qb without that.

I would love Todd Bowles. He'd be my personal target in the off-season. You hit it on the head. He may be the most creative blitz strategist in the game next to Zimmer but with the way the team has continued to build the defensive personnel the last two years, Kyle really seems to like this current style of defense. He's been pretty straight forward about how much he likes this defensive scheme. I would be shocked if Saleh is fired. Just got that feeling.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 5, 2018 at 7:14 AM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

We, quite literally, have a CB that has allowed like 3 receptions all year. It's so bad that QB's don't even bother looking to the right side; so much so that Sherman got a sack because nobody even bothers to look that way. LOL.

Yet, have we rolled coverage to the weak side even once? Honest question.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 5, 2018 at 7:27 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone