LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at MINNESOTA VIKINGS - 2018 Game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
This catch was crazy. Spoon took away Diggs' right hand and he still caught it. Pinned it against his helmet.

I won't pretend to know the nuances of cornerback, but why did Ahkello open the gate and try to run with Stefon? He lost him at the LOS because of that. I believe the technique they emphasize here is to stay square as long as possible, use hands and squeeze him to remain on top. Ahkello is coming along and Stefon is one of the best WRs, but he's still got a ways to go.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
From watching this game, Harrison Smith is just a beast. Their defense is something else

Yeah, you could say he was the guy who won the game for them when it was very much in the balance (the blitz sack and the final INT).
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If Spoon tracks the ball he's got an easy interception.
So you felt Vikings would win outright. Don't worry about point spread. Whether the 49ers lost by 6 or 8 is insignificant when talking about whether they were able to compete with MIN.

Doesn't seem like we were that competitive in this game even if you take the score out of it. Completely dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Couldn't run the ball. Receivers were scared s**tless and couldn't catch in traffic. Jimmy G getting pressure in his face. No execution in the RZ. Honestly, it felt like the Vikings took their foot off the gas when the score was 24-6.

I would say we did not look completely embarrassing against a Superbowl team, so it is a start. But I also don't think competitive is the right word here.
I'm alright with this moral victory for week 1 considering opponent/location.

Won't be thrilled losing to Detroit at home next week unless they too are an SB contender.

As far as perspective, I was in Minny last time the 49ers played there (and were an SB contender that made it that year), and they got their asses kicked way worse than what we saw today (and they were supposed to be bums, and actually made the playoffs that year).

Gotta figure out the run game and would be nice to have just 1 stud player at WR/TE (don't want to be greedy) that could make the big plays when you need them. As Shanahan said during the week, "if you expect to make a living with 10 play drives consistently against this defense, they are too talented and fundamentally sound for that to work. Need explosive plays mixed in there".

When Garoppolo gets in his groove, he's a legit QB. Took some time for that to happen with the lack of running game and that D.

I think we'll be ok.

KC in week 3 will be interesting.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
I won't pretend to know the nuances of cornerback, but why did Ahkello open the gate and try to run with Stefon? He lost him at the LOS because of that. I believe the technique they emphasize here is to stay square as long as possible, use hands and squeeze him to remain on top. Ahkello is coming along and Stefon is one of the best WRs, but he's still got a ways to go.
Lined up at the bottom of the numbers, Diggs has good room to the sideline, and used it. Perhaps Spoon should have lined up in tight press to make sure he was able to get a jam in. He was giving 3 yards. It seems like Diggs beat Spoon outside and Spoon had to open and run. Then the handfighting by Diggs swatting away Spoon twice.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

KC, Chargers, Packers. All 3 could be SB teams.

God, this schedule blows.
This catch was crazy. Spoon took away Diggs' right hand and he still caught it. Pinned it against his helmet.

Perfect pass too
  • thl408
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
So you felt Vikings would win outright. Don't worry about point spread. Whether the 49ers lost by 6 or 8 is insignificant when talking about whether they were able to compete with MIN.

Doesn't seem like we were that competitive in this game even if you take the score out of it. Completely dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Couldn't run the ball. Receivers were scared s**tless and couldn't catch in traffic. Jimmy G getting pressure in his face. No execution in the RZ. Honestly, it felt like the Vikings took their foot off the gas when the score was 24-6.

I would say we did not look completely embarrassing against a Superbowl team, so it is a start. But I also don't think competitive is the right word here.
It can go both ways. I was impressed with the showing even if it was sloppy at points. Maybe I'm overrating the Vikings. I didn't think the MIN OL dominated the 49er DL.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

KC, Chargers, Packers. All 3 could be SB teams.

God, this schedule blows.

From like week 8 and after it really gets easier

Lined up at the bottom of the numbers, Diggs has good room to the sideline, and used it. Perhaps Spoon should have lined up in tight press to make sure he was able to get a jam in. He was giving 3 yards. It seems like Diggs beat Spoon outside and Spoon had to open and run. Then the handfighting by Diggs swatting away Spoon twice.

Sounds like Sherm gave some insight on this exact play after the game at the start of the video to around the one minute mark:

[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 9, 2018 at 11:08 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
Sounds like Sherm gave some insight on this exact play after the game at the start of the video to around the one minute mark:

Sherm spoke about playing more into the WR, leaning into Diggs when the pass came. Nothing about the play at the line though. I think off the line, Diggs quick move to his left put Spoon behind.

LOL, what game were you watching?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Lock this puppy up, it's time for Detroit.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Lock this puppy up, it's time for Detroit.

BRING IT
Share 49ersWebzone