LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Should Rueben Foster be cut?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Rueben Foster be cut?

Y'all know damn well "1 more chance" is going to be said again on his next issue unless it's DV or worse again
ABSOLUTELY
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
f**k no! As soon as we cut him some team will pick him up and eat up his 8 game suspension. Then Foster balls out for the rest of his career

OR

he gets arrested again while suspended and never plays again?

I agree with ninerfan. In your scenario, that is fine. If he never plays again, that is a great loss of talent but there you are. But if we cut him and Seattle, say, pick him up. And he does play again? They arent always going to end up like Aldon Smith.

The NFL have a policy on DV. Most if not all of the other teams follow it. Until more detail comes out I am not sure on what set of assumptions people are making judgements but they do seem to like judging.

That's why i like NY's suggestion, of the one yr probation, after all facts are laid out. If the facts are truly ugly, ok we have no choice. If facts don't really match the reports and gossip, then i agree with English of let the NFL policy play out, and after that, follow the scenario laid out by NY. But just cutting him means we just hand him over to oh, say "Raiders" or equivalent, and have lost a very good player with no compensation. Maybe keeping him out of football a season is exactly what he needs to get his head straight. If he can't do that, then we just have to move on.
Yes, he should be cut if he is found guilty. Send a message to other players on the team and other future players coming in that this garbage won't be tolerated. The team has to have disciplined players. Players won't fear coach or GM if they know they can get away with it. Took a gamble drafting him, you lost, move on.
[ Edited by ComeOnDeberg on Feb 12, 2018 at 7:22 AM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Morons are constantly moronic. Only gets worse with money.

We may not cut him now, but it's ultimately just delaying the inevitable.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. It's awesome just throwing away first round picks.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
f**k no! As soon as we cut him some team will pick him up and eat up his 8 game suspension. Then Foster balls out for the rest of his career

OR

I agree with ninerfan. In your scenario, that is fine. If he never plays again, that is a great loss of talent but there you are. But if we cut him and Seattle, say, pick him up. And he does play again? They arent always going to end up like Aldon Smith.

The NFL have a policy on DV. Most if not all of the other teams follow it. Until more detail comes out I am not sure on what set of assumptions people are making judgements but they do seem to like judging.

That's why i like NY's suggestion, of the one yr probation, after all facts are laid out. If the facts are truly ugly, ok we have no choice. If facts don't really match the reports and gossip, then i agree with English of let the NFL policy play out, and after that, follow the scenario laid out by NY. But just cutting him means we just hand him over to oh, say "Raiders" or equivalent, and have lost a very good player with no compensation. Maybe keeping him out of football a season is exactly what he needs to get his head straight. If he can't do that, then we just have to move on.

But we can't take away his one outlet, his love. What kind of support system is that?
We need to support him throughout this rough patch in his life so he can blossom into a beautiful flower
How hard is it not to be a complete idiot?
Originally posted by RonMexico:

OR

But we can't take away his one outlet, his love. What kind of support system is that?
We need to support him throughout this rough patch in his life so he can blossom into a beautiful flower

• evil
  • Veteran
No.

There are 3 sides to every story : yours, mine and the truth. Until the team has enough of a grasp on all 3 sides of the story to be able to best understand what happened and exactly what he is guilty of, the answer should be no. But he may very well be on his way out the door if he was in the wrong at which point, the answer becomes a definite yes.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Originally posted by RonMexico:

OR

I'm gonna start a gofundme to get foster a life coach and some support

I will never understand NFL teams.

Give a guy 5 million a year , but don't spend 120K a year to have a team of chaperone attached to him. ITs a damn tax write off.

There are 22 starters on a team. You hire 60 Chaperons at 60k a year, it cost the team 7.2 million a year.

NFL players, should never drive, and should not be put in these sort of positions. You cant end all the BS, but DAMN...you can have a company man with him that tells you..... " hey look....there is some questionable behavior going on here, we need to make sure that XYZ is reminded of what can come from this and we need to have the right help in place to get past this before some young lady ends up with a black eye and we loose our Franchise XYZ"

You might get some serious push back from the Jerry Rices of the world, dudes that truly have their act together. You work with that, or you only do it the first 5 years of the career ....or whatever. We are not worried about the Jerry Rices of the world, we want to make sure when a team hires a potential headache like Foster, there is AT LEAST a plan to get the guy though his initial contract.

Think about all these guys not getting DUIs, potentially not drunk off their asses beating up people, and if they are you have a TRAINED professional with them to help defuse the situation and do immediate damage control. Someone that is with the player and can spot questionable behavior before hand and get the guy the help he needs before it spirals out of control.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

Give a guy 5 million a year , but don't spend 120K a year to have a team of chaperone attached to him. ITs a damn tax write off.

There are 22 starters on a team. You hire 60 Chaperons at 60k a year, it cost the team 7.2 million a year.

NFL players, should never drive, and should not be put in these sort of positions. You cant end all the BS, but DAMN...you can have a company man with him that tells you..... " hey look....there is some questionable behavior going on here, we need to make sure that XYZ is reminded of what can come from this and we need to have the right help in place to get past this before some young lady ends up with a black eye and we loose our Franchise XYZ"

You might get some serious push back from the Jerry Rices of the world, dudes that truly have their act together. You work with that, or you only do it the first 5 years of the career ....or whatever. We are not worried about the Jerry Rices of the world, we want to make sure when a team hires a potential headache like Foster, there is AT LEAST a plan to get the guy though his initial contract.

Think about all these guys not getting DUIs, potentially not drunk off their asses beating up people, and if they are you have a TRAINED professional with them to help defuse the situation and do immediate damage control. Someone that is with the player and can spot questionable behavior before hand and get the guy the help he needs before it spirals out of control.
Players would surely agree to that
Originally posted by Dshearn:

Not to mention SF has some of the greatest tech minds in the world. I'm sure they can just pay even less to implant all of their players with trackers and any time they think of making a stupid decision or committing some sort of illegal action immediately paralyze them so they can't get in trouble.

Honestly how difficult would it be to do something like that?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Do they have a choice? I don't envy them on this one.
YES HE SHOULD.

It's too late for Rueben, the game got him....and when the game gets you, there is no coming back!
Share 49ersWebzone