LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Not many highlights in a 40-10 loss so I'll stop on a highlight that wasn't in garbage time. If there are any requests I'll try to cut the play.

CJ looks to Kittle on 3rd downs. How cool is it for two guys from the same offense in college get drafted to the same team, in the same year.

Right: Texas
Left: three level flood
vs Cover2 Man

It's a three man rush but a DL is used to spy (blue). Cover2 Man is also a coverage that is open over the middle provided no other routes bring a defender to the area. The angle route from Kittle attacks the middle. Kittle head faking and wins.

+19
[ Edited by thl408 on Oct 26, 2017 at 11:17 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
This is the 3rd down that resulted in a sack. I was curious what CJ was looking at when watching this live.
Similar route combo to the play above.
vs Cover3

From the endzone view I can tell CJ is thinking about targeting Taylor. The curl/flat defender is creeping and this is a far throw.

Sacked. The only route open to convert was Garcon, but I can't tell what CJ's reads are on this play vs Cover3.

had 83 open on the double move..... If Cj had 10 seconds to throw the ball... Btw whats the standard time for a QB To throw the ball? LoL.
If you get a chance can you go over the outside zone runs we did? Every single one of them seemed to get stuffed for a huge negative loss. I'd like to see who missed what block and where the breakdown occurred.
Kyle talking about CJ:
"There was a big play that we had in the game and we thought versus Tampa 2, that Mike linebacker would take it away and he'd have to go to number two," Shanahan said. "We got in the game and he came out to throw to the guy and he didn't and he went to number two. He came to the sidelines and I was like, 'Why didn't you throw it?' He goes, 'Coach, it was Tampa 2.' I was like, 'I know, but the Mike busted. He didn't even run down the middle.'
"Actually, the guy he should have taken away ended up being open. It was good and bad because you're right, you did read the coverage right but you've still got to see the throw. The Mike linebacker busted. Even though you saw Tampa 2 by the safeties, the guy was still open. You've got to throw it to him and that's stuff he learns because he studied during the week."
---------
This might be the play. DAL came with a lot of single high so this is one of the few times they had a Cover2 shell.
The MLB (blue) in Tampa2 will turn his hips to face the passing strength of the offensive formation (3wr side) and gain depth down the middle of the field.

Playaction plus Taylor looking like he's run blocking sells the play fake and the MLB steps towards the LoS. It also holds the strongside Hook.

CJ completes his drop. Had the MLB gained depth, he'd be near the blue star, taking away Garcon's route.

CJ targets Goodwin. Nice play by red LB to be zone aware and find work. He would have ended up contesting a throw to Garcon.

+48.

If this was the play Kyle is talking about, then not bad for making the non-optimal read.

I don't think that is the play Kyle is referring to. When he says 'big play,' I'm pretty sure he is referring to a missed big play.
Originally posted by miked1978:
If you get a chance can you go over the outside zone runs we did? Every single one of them seemed to get stuffed for a huge negative loss. I'd like to see who missed what block and where the breakdown occurred.

The first one (1:44 remaining, 1st qtr), Kilgore was too slow to get out and make his block on Lee, who dropped Hyde for a 2 yd loss.

Another outside run by Breida (9:43 remaining, 2nd qtr), Staley and Kilgore both fail on their blocks on the safety and MLB. 3 yd loss

Hyde to the right side (7:58 remaining, 2nd qtr), Kilgore fails again and lets the LB push him back into Hyde. 2 yd loss

Hyde to the right side (9:33 remaining, 3rd qtr), Tomlinson gets manhandled by his assignment. 4 yd loss
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Oct 27, 2017 at 10:12 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I don't think that is the play Kyle is referring to. When he says 'big play,' I'm pretty sure he is referring to a missed big play.
DAL played a lotttt of single high coverage so it's easy to pick out the Cover2 looks. The play I showed was the closest I could find to being a busted Tampa2 coverage. I'm not 100% positive but if I had to guess, that was the play. I PM'ed jonnydel about it so he'll try to find it as well.

The first one (1:44 remaining, 1st qtr), Kilgore was too slow to get out and make his block on Lee, who dropped Hyde for a 2 yd loss.

Another outside run by Breida (9:43 remaining, 2nd qtr), Staley and Kilgore both fail on their blocks on the safety and MLB. 3 yd loss

Hyde to the right side (7:58 remaining, 2nd qtr), Kilgore fails again and lets the LB push him back into Hyde. 2 yd loss

Hyde to the right side (9:33 remaining, 3rd qtr), Tomlinson gets manhandled by his assignment. 4 yd loss

LOL, that about sums it up.
DAL played a lotttt of single high coverage so it's easy to pick out the Cover2 looks. The play I showed was the closest I could find to being a busted Tampa2 coverage. I'm not 100% positive but if I had to guess, that was the play. I PM'ed jonnydel about it so he'll try to find it as well.

You guys know much more than me. The fact that Kyle says they talked about it when he came off the field just led me to believe it was probably a failed 3rd down play.
A one gap, penetrating defensive lineman will be more vulnerable to trap plays and screen passes when compared to a two gapping lineman. Last week WAS got over 90 yards of screen play yards.
Trap vs Over front. The 3t in a 4-3 front is most likely one gapping. LG trap blocks.

Expecting resistance that isn't there, TMcDaniel falls over when the two OL let him by.

RG and RT combo block RayRay.

RT moves on to block Foster.

My only comment is that I'm pretty sure it was Reid in there at LB and not Ray Ray

You guys know much more than me. The fact that Kyle says they talked about it when he came off the field just led me to believe it was probably a failed 3rd down play.
I looked at all those and I too was thinking it was a missed opportunity but I watched every throw again and only saw 3 instances of cover 2 and only 2 that looked like tampa 2. They did a lot of showing 2 deep and rotating into a form of cover 3. It was nearly every pass play they were in some form of cover 3.

The play design on the Goodwin play makes most sense as well against a Tampa 2. Garcon is the inside receiver and a Tampa 2 MLB is responsible for the deepest immediate threat down the middle. If the slot or TE releases vertical the MLB is supposed to grab that threat first. With Goodwin being an outside receiver and the MLB supposed to be taking Garcon's route vs Tampa 2 it would open up Goodwin's route. I think he's more wondering why he threw it to the 1st in the progression when it was open. It's a case where a coach isn't mad about getting a big gain but wants his guy to go through his progressions correctly and see the whole field because while it worked this time it may not work next time.

Do eihter of you guys see on tape that in some instances either our RE or LE playing extremely wide leaving a huge running lane?
Originally posted by jonnydel:
A one gap, penetrating defensive lineman will be more vulnerable to trap plays and screen passes when compared to a two gapping lineman. Last week WAS got over 90 yards of screen play yards.
Trap vs Over front. The 3t in a 4-3 front is most likely one gapping. LG trap blocks.

Expecting resistance that isn't there, TMcDaniel falls over when the two OL let him by.

My only comment is that I'm pretty sure it was Reid in there at LB and not Ray Ray

what could they have done differently to prevent that big play? TMcDaniel not falling on his f**king face?
Originally posted by NCommand:

LOL, that about sums it up.

Lol but "Hyde can't run the outside zone". I have a feeling there may be 3-4 new OL next season.

The Cowboys RG or RT #71 can allow to 49ers defense #96 is open the one and run over Daks or Zeke. 49ers defense is #96 failed to reach too slow and moving too slow as failed.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
what could they have done differently to prevent that big play? TMcDaniel not falling on his f**king face?

That is exactly how you stop that play.
Share 49ersWebzone