LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by defenderDX:
a rookie MLB and a newly converted one what could possibly go wrong
Yeah, and two street free agents getting snaps on the interior (Douzable, McDaniels). Oh and one of the best OL in the league. Oh and one of the best RBs in the league. What could possibly go wrong.
The common theme for the outside running game fails in this game were definitely Kilgore. PFF currently has him as the 38th ranked Center in run blocking rating.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
JD and TH..do you guys see Reid getting better at LB with more reps? Do you think he could flourish at that position?

^^ this

Well because we haven't seen him in that role before it's hard to say. It'll be something to watch as the season goes along if he improves or if he plays like he did last game.
I think he'll improve with more reps. Do something more often you improve. His reads will be all different now. Whereas a box safety might read EMOLS, as a LB he will probably do more high hat/low hat reads of the OL. We'll see if he can flourish. I have my doubts based on how the move is midseason and it's harder to get full speed practice reps during the season than it is during training camp/OTAs.
Originally posted by thl408:
JD and TH..do you guys see Reid getting better at LB with more reps? Do you think he could flourish at that position?

^^ this

Well because we haven't seen him in that role before it's hard to say. It'll be something to watch as the season goes along if he improves or if he plays like he did last game.
I think he'll improve with more reps. Do something more often you improve. His reads will be all different now. Whereas a box safety might read EMOLS, as a LB he will probably do more high hat/low hat reads of the OL. We'll see if he can flourish. I have my doubts based on how the move is midseason and it's harder to get full speed practice reps during the season than it is during training camp/OTAs.

why are they even doing this? nothing to lose? because they want the "best 11 guys out on the field"?
why are they even doing this? nothing to lose? because they want the "best 11 guys out on the field"?

Because an inexperienced, out-of-position player is better than literally anything else available at LB. haha
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

Because an inexperienced, out-of-position player is better than literally anything else available at LB. haha

They also believe Reid is a higher level player in the league and they really like Tartt and Ward. You see other teams are successful with those player types so if you think Reid is more valuable on the field than off, you find a place for him to be.

^^ this

The team has very little talent. I think if they had a better option at linebacker than a defensive back, they would go with it.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Oct 27, 2017 at 2:03 PM ]
  • thl408

They also believe Reid is a higher level player in the league and they really like Tartt and Ward. You see other teams are successful with those player types so if you think Reid is more valuable on the field than off, you find a place for him to be.
I think the team will now really miss Malcolm Smith, and not having a vet at MLB. I'd rather keep Foster at Will and just suck a lot at MLB with Coyle or something. Not a fan of Foster at MLB. I want him protected at Will, flying around hitting ball carriers, not having to stack and shed Guards.
The common theme for the outside running game fails in this game were definitely Kilgore. PFF currently has him as the 38th ranked Center in run blocking rating.

LMAO...now THAT is bad.
  • thl408
I looked at all those and I too was thinking it was a missed opportunity but I watched every throw again and only saw 3 instances of cover 2 and only 2 that looked like tampa 2. They did a lot of showing 2 deep and rotating into a form of cover 3. It was nearly every pass play they were in some form of cover 3.

The play design on the Goodwin play makes most sense as well against a Tampa 2. Garcon is the inside receiver and a Tampa 2 MLB is responsible for the deepest immediate threat down the middle. If the slot or TE releases vertical the MLB is supposed to grab that threat first. With Goodwin being an outside receiver and the MLB supposed to be taking Garcon's route vs Tampa 2 it would open up Goodwin's route. I think he's more wondering why he threw it to the 1st in the progression when it was open. It's a case where a coach isn't mad about getting a big gain but wants his guy to go through his progressions correctly and see the whole field because while it worked this time it may not work next time.
About the play where Kyle is talking about Tampa2. Here's the other candidate we were referring to in our PM, but I think the Goodwin +49 yarder is still my first guess. Here, the two safeties are playing at Quarters depth and don't backpeddle like Cover2 safeties would. They are flat foot reading the whole way.

I think the team will now really miss Malcolm Smith, and not having a vet at MLB. I'd rather keep Foster at Will and just suck a lot at MLB with Coyle or something. Not a fan of Foster at MLB. I want him protected at Will, flying around hitting ball carriers, not having to stack and shed Guards.

This all day
Originally posted by NCommand:

LMAO...now THAT is bad.

I didn't even know there were 38 teams in the league - Oh, wait . . .
  • thl408
We've been slacking on the film threads but it's getting difficult to be curious about losing football, speaking for myself. Also, jonnydel was on the injured list last week. If you're reading this, let me know you're alive.
It got a bit exciting to see a new QB in there (CJ), but now with JimmyG on board as the QBotF, I'm just waiting on that. If there are any plays you'd like to see, let me know. Otherwise I'll just show a random play here and there with no real point to them.

While Goodwin's drops are what we remember, he's also come up with some of the biggest explosive plays the 49ers have had in the past few seasons. He's doing what Torrey Smith should have done.
vs Quarters
Goodwin will run a Post that will split the two safeties. The boundary safety will be held by the Orange route, allowing Goodwin to attack behind.

Boundary safety (black) being occupied by the route from #2 WR, which is his read (match if #2 goes vertical).

When #2 breaks off his route, the boundary safety is quick to get his head on a swivel and look over to his right where he sees Goodwin hitting the seam between the two safeties.

Goodwin was able to get his fingertips on the pass. If only he was 6'1. Incomplete.
  • thl408
On the very next drive, first play, the 49ers take the deep shot again.

Z Cross (three level flood) vs Quarters

With no vertical threat from a #2 WR on Goodwin's side of the field, the safety is free to bracket Goodwin (with the CB).

YOLO throw.

Goodwin shows how well he can separate on a Go route. "If he's even, he's leavin". +55 yards
I can understand the lack of motivation because of the malaise of the season, but hopefully you guys will perk up when we get our first win this year.
Share 49ersWebzone