There are 157 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
.ARI combines a Sail with a Scissors concept to vertically stretch the curl/flat defender (Tartt).
vs Cover3

DJ matches #1. Tartt carries the #2 up the seam and, as a result, that gives room for the RB in the flat.

+10
Why do you guys think Kyle doesn't use any cut blocks on his stretch runs? His dad and Alex Gibbs used to cut the hell out of DLs on the backside with multiple guys.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 4, 2017 at 4:55 PM ]
  • thl408
ARI will send out 3 vertical routes, then have the RB (Chris Johnson) release late into the middle of the field.
vs Tampa2

As the vertical routes head upfield, KWilliams gains depth. Lots of depth. And it gives CJ lots of room to run on a simple checkdown. KW has to be aware when the RB releases in case the RB is targeted.

+15. Even after the catch is made, KW is still backpeddling to gain depth.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
Why do you guys think Kyle doesn't use any cut blocks on his stretch runs? His dad and Alex Gibbs used to cut the hell out of DLs on the backside with multiple guys.
Just a guess, but would it be more difficult to sell playaction if the tendency is to cut block on stretch runs? Meaning if the tendency is to cut block on stretch runs, then when it's time to execute playaction for a shot play (7 step timing), cut blocking doesn't allow the OT to pass block.

If they don't cutblock, then stretch runs look like playaction and vice versa - the OT stays on their feet. That's my guess.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't think it's Levels. Levels is a 2 route vertical stretch - notice the 2 In routes run at different depths.

In the 49er play, the two In routes are ran at the same depth for a horizontal stretch. Then add in the Corner route for a vertical stretch (Smash).

Youre right I seen it wrong.....I was thinking it was levels with a verts from motion. It's not levels because they are on the yard line. I'm gonna take it down so I don't confuse people.

Yeah, it's a China concept, which a China is a variation of smash. Instead of a curl route you run an in route. The double China is a trail+china
  • thl408
This is in overtime. ARI started their TD drive with two very easy throws to the RB, each for 11 yards.
ARI just sends 3 deep then checks it down.
vs Cover 2 Zone

All the underneath defenders are playing soft zone, gaining depth. They played soft nearly the whole drive between the 20 yard lines. RB takes what is given.

+11
Just a guess, but would it be more difficult to sell playaction if the tendency is to cut block on stretch runs? Meaning if the tendency is to cut block on stretch runs, then when it's time to execute playaction for a shot play (7 step timing), cut blocking doesn't allow the OT to pass block.

If they don't cutblock, then stretch runs look like playaction and vice versa - the OT stays on their feet. That's my guess.

I agree here, plus, the NFL is really cracking down on those cut blocks. We run a ton of slide concepts. Either normal slides or spider 2 y banana.

Maybe if Thl has some time in the next couple hours he can highlight a spider 2 x banana I saw out there 😉
  • thl408
jonnydel, what you think about how Saleh plays his CBs?
First three games: RR is field, DJ is boundary.
In this ARI game: RR is boundary, DJ is field.
Hard enough to learn new techniques, now the CBs are flipping sides of the field. Not quite the same, but it'd be like asking Staley and Brown to switch between left/right tackles from play to play.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

I agree here, plus, the NFL is really cracking down on those cut blocks. We run a ton of slide concepts. Either normal slides or spider 2 y banana.

Maybe if Thl has some time in the next couple hours he can highlight a spider 2 x banana I saw out there 😉

....AND WHAT DONT YOU EVER DO ON SPIDER Y BANANA? LUCK?....YOU NEVER THROW THE VENUS!!!!
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

This one? Looks like Curl-Flat. Maybe I missed it. I just did a search for Juyzscyk (sp). Saw 2 slide concepts with Juice.

• thl408
Second play of the OT.
4 verticals vs Cover2 Zone (I think)

Simple. Run everyone deep, throw it short to the RB. This is more a showing of how soft the 49ers were playing on the TD drive. Not so much how ARI was attacking the LBs with RBs in the passing game.

+11
  • thl408
Posted in the post game thread, just wanted to put it here. The TD.

4 Verticals vs Cover3

Cover3 rotations. James (26) will see the #3 starting his deep cross and match it.

KWilliams (24) the curl/flat defender needs to re-direct Fitz out of the seam, as much as possible. Use footwork to position in a way that Fitz has to step further away from the middle of the field, and closer to RR, so that RR can have a better chance at defending 2 verticals.

Mid windup, Ward seems to have little depth, occupied by the #3 crosser.

gg
  • thl408
We've seen DJ make this play before from his deep 1/3, where he defends the seam route from the #2. The ARI TD may have been prevented if: Ward has more depth, KWilliams does a better job re-routing, and/or DJ is quicker to recognize the Seam route. But the pass by Palmer was well placed away from DJ.

.ARI combines a Sail with a Scissors concept to vertically stretch the curl/flat defender (Tartt).
vs Cover3

DJ matches #1. Tartt carries the #2 up the seam and, as a result, that gives room for the RB in the flat.

+10

You say Tartt is the flat defender. So is he just showing a lack of discipline falling for the route combination? What's RayRay's assignment? As Tartt backpedals, should RayRay shift over to the empty flat? In that 2nd frame it looks like RayRay's having no effect on the play--it's 11 on 10.

Thanks for the work ya'll put in. I look forward to this thread every week
  • thl408
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
You say Tartt is the flat defender. So is he just showing a lack of discipline falling for the route combination? What's RayRay's assignment? As Tartt backpedals, should RayRay shift over to the empty flat? In that 2nd frame it looks like RayRay's having no effect on the play--it's 11 on 10.

Thanks for the work ya'll put in. I look forward to this thread every week
The curl/flat defender can be asked to match a vertical route from the slot WR, depending on the assignment. So Tartt could be doing his assignment - match #2 if he goes vertical. Tartt is F. RayRay is either coached to stay there in his Hook or try to recognize any immediate threat, such as the RB.
Share 49ersWebzone