LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
You say Tartt is the flat defender. So is he just showing a lack of discipline falling for the route combination? What's RayRay's assignment? As Tartt backpedals, should RayRay shift over to the empty flat? In that 2nd frame it looks like RayRay's having no effect on the play--it's 11 on 10.

Thanks for the work ya'll put in. I look forward to this thread every week
The curl/flat defender can be asked to match a vertical route from the slot WR, depending on the assignment. So Tartt could be doing his assignment - match #2 if he goes vertical. Tartt is F. RayRay is either coached to stay there in his Hook or try to recognize any immediate threat, such as the RB.
looking at the whole game. The Defense didn't give a rats patoot about the RB. Looks like the game plan was to take away the pass/Deep pass
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

kind of hard to play defense when 2 guys are confused with their backs turned to the LOS pointing

Did Bowman run on late or was he just shifting from a blitz look back?

Prob should have called a TO there.
Originally posted by SoCold:

kind of hard to play defense when 2 guys are confused with their backs turned to the LOS pointing

No, he was literally throwing Ellington's shoe off the field and getting back to his spot and you could see Williams throw up his arms in question as to what the defensive set was but it was too late. Fitz came off clean and clear confusion. Game over. Credit to Palmer for seeing we were out of alignment and quickly rushing the play to that right side.
Originally posted by NCommand:
No, he was literally throwing Ellington's shoe off the field and getting back to his spot and you could see Williams throw up his arms in question as to what the defensive set was but it was too late. Fitz came off clean and clear confusion. Game over. Credit to Palmer for seeing we were out of alignment and quickly rushing the play to that right side.

Did we have a timeout to use there? Seems like it was a very bad decision not to use it. Maybe Bow shouldn't have concerned himself with a shoe on the field.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

Did we have a timeout to use there? Seems like it was a very bad decision not to use it. Maybe Bow shouldn't have concerned himself with a shoe on the field.

I'm not sure but that's a good question.

Bowman one of the slowest players in reacting to either of these.

According to the graphics on the screen during that play, we had both timeouts remaining.

The clock was running though, so hard to call a timeout there and give them more time to score.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Oct 5, 2017 at 8:30 AM ]
Originally posted by SoCold:

This is a classic half field combo with 3 verticals versus middle closed... concept is a horizontal stretch of the deep coverage, progression is inside out, #1 has a route rule where he makes a decision at 10 yards or so where if he runs at the corners feet and "if he's even he's leavin' " if not he runs a stop... easy peezy 3 routes with only 2 defenders to cover, one of them has to be open... Fitz is a beast and Palmer feasted on KW's late route recognition...
  • thl408
Out of that presnap confusion, I think the player most affected was KWilliams. If he had time to line up correctly instead of pointing and talking to Bow, maybe KW is closer to the numbers at the time of the snap (lined up over Fitz). Then KW would be in a better position to re-route Fitz outside of the seam so that Fitz is closer to RR (or re-route Fitz to the inside so Fitz is closer to Ward). Maybe Ward could have had more depth at the time of the snap. But it's in the red zone so who knows. Maybe RR should be faster to read the vertical from #2. . A number of players could have played this better. Excellent throw by Palmer.

According to the graphics on the screen during that play, we had both timeouts remaining.

The clock was running though, so hard to call a timeout there and give them more time to score.

It's pretty much a microcosm of how this season is going...sooooo close but just one mental error here and there is the difference in the game.

Shouldn't there be an official calling time to get a player's shoe off the field? At the very least shouldn't it be the team of the player who lost his shoe to remove it from the field?
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I agree here, plus, the NFL is really cracking down on those cut blocks. We run a ton of slide concepts. Either normal slides or spider 2 y banana.

Maybe if Thl has some time in the next couple hours he can highlight a spider 2 x banana I saw out there 😉
This one? Looks like Curl-Flat. Maybe I missed it. I just did a search for Juyzscyk (sp). Saw 2 slide concepts with Juice.

No, it was a different one. We were going the other direction. If I have time today I'll hit it.
Posted in the post game thread, just wanted to put it here. The TD.

4 Verticals vs Cover3

Cover3 rotations. James (26) will see the #3 starting his deep cross and match it.

KWilliams (24) the curl/flat defender needs to re-direct Fitz out of the seam, as much as possible. Use footwork to position in a way that Fitz has to step further away from the middle of the field, and closer to RR, so that RR can have a better chance at defending 2 verticals.

Mid windup, Ward seems to have little depth, occupied by the #3 crosser.

gg

To me, I thought it was cover 4 and Ward played too far inside.
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
.ARI combines a Sail with a Scissors concept to vertically stretch the curl/flat defender (Tartt).
vs Cover3

DJ matches #1. Tartt carries the #2 up the seam and, as a result, that gives room for the RB in the flat.

+10

You say Tartt is the flat defender. So is he just showing a lack of discipline falling for the route combination? What's RayRay's assignment? As Tartt backpedals, should RayRay shift over to the empty flat? In that 2nd frame it looks like RayRay's having no effect on the play--it's 11 on 10.

Thanks for the work ya'll put in. I look forward to this thread every week

Depends in if it's a match 3 zone or not. If it's match, then tartt isbsuppised to call out an "over, over,over" and Ray Ray has to cover the bavk out into the flat. If it's a spot drop then tartt should squeeze the seam and the look to attack downhill sooner.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Bowman one of the slowest players in reacting to either of these.
I think you're confused on which guy was bowman. On the first one he was the first one to react but stumbled in pursuit. The 2nd one, he was the first one to react as well.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Oct 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone