LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 125 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by matguy87:
Originally posted by SoCold:
It's an easy throw to the front corner of the endzone. No he's not wide open. You just put the ball on the pylon. Either Taylor makes a great catch or it's incomplete.

Kyle said Garcon was the 2nd read on this play in the post game conference, I'm pretty sure he was talking about this play...

Not sure why Hoyer didn't pull the trigger.

straight line from the ball in Hoyers hand to the pylon. Either a TD or incomplete. Easy. A one yard gap is open in the NFL. It's not where he is it's where he's going to be.

straight line from the ball in Hoyers hand to the pylon. Either a TD or incomplete. Easy. A one yard gap is open in the NFL. It's not where he is it's where he's going to be.

IMO, if Hoyer throws that ball to Taylor it's going 99 yards the other way and Larry doesn't get to rip our hearts out later in OT.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 4, 2017 at 1:35 PM ]
It's an easy throw to the front corner of the endzone. No he's not wide open. You just put the ball on the pylon. Either Taylor makes a great catch or it's incomplete.

Kyle said Garcon was the 2nd read on this play in the post game conference, I'm pretty sure he was talking about this play...

lol this is Hoyer you're asking to do this
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Niners816:

IMO, if Hoyer throws that ball to Taylor it's going 99 yards the other way and Larry doesn't get to rip our hearts out later in OT.

The pylon is five yards away on the other side of the WR. Maybe if it's Madden the CB can flip his hips and morph to the corner of the endzone? Or if Hoyer makes a horrible pass 2 yards behind Taylor you're prob right. lol
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by defenderDX:

touche

touche

True that throw might be outside of his capabilities.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

touche

True that throw might be outside of his capabilities.

I have to stop watching legit QBs.

lol if its behind taylor then honey badger is running that back for 6
  • thl408

Tough throw to Taylor.
Ok thanks, Garcon was 2nd read. In that case I wonder if Hoyer knew Garcon would pivot around (after pushing off the LB). If the route was simply a snag route, with no pivot, I can see why Hoyer thought Garcon would not be open since he was running right at the LB. But if Hoyer knew Garcon would pivot his route back towards the outside, then Garcon > Linebacker and he deserves a chance. Wish the pressure didn't come up the middle.
the coaches film analysis is great. we can see how kyle calls good plays and hoyer f**ks it up

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Put yourself in Hoyer's shoes here. He actually made the correct play based on his read.

The motion shows ARI in man coverage. Single high FS. Hoyer does the right thing in reading the FS helping over the 3 trips side. Because Hoyer is to freeze the FS, he's not looking at the bunch routes and is already assuming the corner route has man coverage. He sees the FS shifting over to help double the corner route. Now he knows Hyde is running a flat circle route right to to the spot vacated by the FS. One would think Hyde would have an easy cut inside towards the TD but it was a great tackle/coverage by the SS on Hyde.

Yes, it was blown coverage and Hoyer could have looked at the corner route but what if ARI didn't blow coverage? Then Hoyer would have to look at the TE first, see it could be covered and then look at the FS to see where he's at and then move to the right side.

I think his progression and read was right but a QB can't expect that coverage to be blown. If he stared at the TE the entire way (like a bad QB), then he would have made the play...by accident.

What? A QB isn't expected to take advantage of a blown coverage?

Not exactly what I am saying. You are the QB and send a man in motion to determine coverage. Motion shows man and you have 2 routes on each sideline going to the endzone. So your first progression is to see what the single FS will do. You drop back to freeze the FS but the FS goes to the left side which automatically tells you that route will have help over the top and man coverage on the WR hip. Are you going to look left hoping there was blown coverage or are you going to look right to the side where there's no FS help?

He looks right but that coverage is very tight so he sees the middle wide open due to the FS and Hyde flashes inside. Honestly, if Hoyer led Hyde and didn't make him jump and turn to catch the ball, Hyde runs into the endzone after the catch with maybe a shoulder from a defender that would allow him to fall into the endzone.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 4, 2017 at 2:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Not exactly what I am saying. You are the QB and send a man in motion to determine coverage. Motion shows man and you have 2 routes on each sideline going to the endzone. So your first progression is to see what the single FS will do. You drop back to freeze the FS but the FS goes to the left side which automatically tells you that route will have help over the top and man coverage on the WR hip. Are you going to look left hoping there was blown coverage or are you going to look right to the side where there's no FS help?

He looks right but that coverage is very tight so he sees the middle wide open due to the FS and Hyde flashes inside. Honestly, if Hoyer led Hyde and didn't make him jump and turn to catch the ball, Hyde runs into the endzone after the catch with maybe a shoulder from a defender that would allow him to fall into the endzone.

Hoyer was looking left and still didn't see that Celek came wide open. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand here.
  • thl408
I know the 49ers defense did well for the majority of the game. The loss falls on the offense's inability to threaten in the redzone. But these plays which feature ARI using RBs in the passing game show one way of using the 49ers' own philosophy against them to move down the field. The bend don't break theme works if checkdowns to the RB result in 3-5 yard gains. But when the offense can rip off 7-12 yards gains with dinky passes, then they'll take it and move down the field.

First, an example of how ARI used the RB as part of a route concept. This is not a checkdown. The rest of the throws shown will be checkdowns (I think).

Levels vs Tampa2
This is on ARI's first drive. DWatson (97) is the key read on this vertical stretch concept.

Watson gains depth to take away the red route, which opens up room for the yellow route from the RB (Ellington).

+9 yards.
  • thl408
This play features the Pole concept which is a Deep Curl/Out from the #1 + a Go route from the #2. It's designed to bust Cover3 as it targets the sideline deep 1/3 defender. But that's not the main takeaway from this play.

Cover3. Black are deep zones. One thing ARI did in this game was send vertical routes at the underneath defenders, make those underneath defenders carry the vertical routes up the field, then check it underneath to the RB. This is one example.

Bow is the strongside Hook defender. As the #3 runs across Bow's face, Bow carries the #3 for just a bit. But that's enough room for the RB to attack.

+8

Just to finish on the Pole concept which is something Cover3 defenses will see. Red's route is designed to push DJ upfield, then yellow curls back to work the sideline. If the curl/flat defender does not gain enough depth then Yellow's Curl/Out is available.

I have to stop watching legit QBs.

lol yeh its frustrating watching the good ones throw perfect dimes in a crowded pocket while being hit. Meanwhile Hoyer missing wide open guys with a few solid pockets.
Share 49ersWebzone