There are 277 users in the forums

2017 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
Needs going into FA...

RB, WR, OG, DE, Sam LB, Mike LB, Safety, CB.

RB - Backup or Starter
WR- Backup/depth
OG- Starter
DE- Starter
Sam LB- Hopefully a good backup / potential starter
Mike LB- Hopefully a good backup / potential starter
Safety - backup/depth
CB- backup/depth
Bret Rumbeck just stole my thunder. "49ers need to quit ignoring the OL and spend some money there." He also is a big fan of FA ing Norwell, to get the OL a good solid interior foundation. Then if the NYGnats truly have changed their plans and don't go after an OL in the first, Nelson would be there at #9. And that pair would solidify this OL for a decade. Still we would need another starting C, but if not a likable C in FA there are a number of them in draft.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Getting Sherman takes Ward and Josh Jackson off our draft board I bet. Only way I can see us landing Jackson is if we trade back in the 1st.

Agreed on the draft. We could still sign another mid tier FA CB too given it's a pretty deep class. Kay Adams was even entertaining Butler too. Ward's contract pays for Sherman so we still had the same $. I wouldn't rule that out either.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Bret Rumbeck just stole my thunder. "49ers need to quit ignoring the OL and spend some money there." He also is a big fan of FA ing Norwell, to get the OL a good solid interior foundation. Then if the NYGnats truly have changed their plans and don't go after an OL in the first, Nelson would be there at #9. And that pair would solidify this OL for a decade. Still we would need another starting C, but if not a likable C in FA there are a number of them in draft.

If there is one position to spend big money on and get an equal return in FA, it's OL. Enough already. Shore that OL up.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 12, 2018 at 8:38 AM ]
Looks like Suh is being released. What are your thoughts on getting him???
If he goes to the highest bidder, then I'd pass on Suh. But on a let's win, team friendly contract, then heck why not.
I think Suh sends the wrong message, and not the one JL and KS want. Dirty player, cheap shots, stepping on a guy who is on the ground, kicking somebody in the nuts...mmm...that doesn't sound like what JL has been talking about. Oh, and Suh expects what his salary would have been had he stayed on...Could $20 some Mil been the number? Whatever it was, it was staggering. No on Suh.
Originally posted by NCommand:

If there is one position to spend big money on and get an equal return in FA, it's OL. Enough already. Shore that OL up.

Not sure if Shanahan needs first round picks to make his OL work. I'd rather have them pick skill positions high and OL in mid rounds. But the change in practice time over the years may have changed the ability to groom OL. Edge rusher, WR, QB, and lockdown CB are generally the most difficult positions to find.
Getting Sherman takes Ward and Josh Jackson off our draft board I bet. Only way I can see us landing Jackson is if we trade back in the 1st.

Agreed on the draft. We could still sign another mid tier FA CB too given it's a pretty deep class. Kay Adams was even entertaining Butler too. Ward's contract pays for Sherman so we still had the same $. I wouldn't rule that out either.

Really this is all pie in the sky stuff. RS hasn't even begun his football rehabbing yet. So we have no idea what we end up with. If he returns to pre surgery condition, that's a pot of gold for us. If not, then it was a gamble worth taking. But right now...we still need another starting CB. I don't believe signing RS means we have a starting CB. We still need one in FA or high in draft and they have to be day one starters. IMO.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Also remember that my $67M doesn't include money that can be saved if we cut Beadles, Tomlinson, Ward, Robinson, Jones, Harold, etc.... Cutting Ward saves $8.526M in cash, around $8M in cap due to top 51 rule, would really offset the Sherman signing money wise this year.

This can't be overstated. Pre or post June 1st, we can cut Zane Beadles ($3.5M), Earl Mitchell ($3.1M), Garrett Celek ($2.05M), Aldrick Robinson ($2.05M), Eli Harold ($1.907M), Laken Tomlinson a s ($1.6M), etc. Jimmie Ward has to be cut today or tomorrow after passing a physical. That would save $8.5M alone.

Collectively, that's another $22.7M for players that add virtually nothing right now with viable replacements already on the team.

Garnett basically replaces Beadles, Sherman/C.James replaces Ward, Day/Jones for Mitchell, Cole Hikutini for Celek, Bourne for Robinson, Pita for Harold, Magnusson for Tomlinson, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 12, 2018 at 9:21 AM ]

NC, I think we still have to take the attitude that we do NOT have a guaranteed CB to pair with Spoon. We still need a starting CB. There is not guarantee that RS returns to pre injury status. Contract wise we are fine. But needs wise? We still need a starting CB until we see him on the field. All we got now is a medical opinion that he is ok. That doesn't make me think we are. We have to have a starting CB whether FA or CB, FA hopefully. Then we can save that #9 slot for EDGE, OL, LB ...hopefully who is also the BPA. But as of now, it draft started and there was a CB as the BPA, I would take him . So I expect another FA CB to be announced...or at least, sure hope so. And this one better be able to dress out and play by OTAs.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Also remember that my $67M doesn't include money that can be saved if we cut Beadles, Tomlinson, Ward, Robinson, Jones, Harold, etc.... Cutting Ward saves $8.526M in cash, around $8M in cap due to top 51 rule, would really offset the Sherman signing money wise this year.

This can't be overstated. Pre or post June 1st, we can cut Zane Beadles ($3.5M), Earl Mitchell ($3.1M), Garrett Celek ($2.050M), Aldrick Robinson ($2.050M), Eli Harold ($1.907M), Laken Tomlinson a s ($1.6M), etc. Jimmie Ward has to be cut today or tomorrow after passing a physical. That would save $8.5M alone.

Collectively, that's another $22.7M for players that add virtually nothing right now with viable replacements already on the team.

Garnett basically replaces Beadles, Sherman replaces Ward, Day/Jones for Mitchell, Cole Hikutini for Celek, Bourne for Robinson, Pita for Harold, Magnusson for Tomlinson, etc.

Perfect.
NC, I think we still have to take the attitude that we do NOT have a guaranteed CB to pair with Spoon. We still need a starting CB. There is not guarantee that RS returns to pre injury status. Contract wise we are fine. But needs wise? We still need a starting CB until we see him on the field. All we got now is a medical opinion that he is ok. That doesn't make me think we are. We have to have a starting CB whether FA or CB, FA hopefully. Then we can save that #9 slot for EDGE, OL, LB ...hopefully who is also the BPA. But as of now, it draft started and there was a CB as the BPA, I would take him . So I expect another FA CB to be announced...or at least, sure hope so. And this one better be able to dress out and play by OTAs.

I do too. You can never have too many CB's in this league. Ever...esp. us. Injuries kill us here.

Here is our I.R. list from last year alone:

CB Will Redmond - Ultimately waived
CB Prince Charles Iworah - Ultimately waived
SS Chanceller James
SS Don Jones
CB Asa Jackson
FS Jimmie Ward
SS Jaquiski Tartt
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 12, 2018 at 9:26 AM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Needs going into FA...

RB, WR, OG, DE, Sam LB, Mike LB, Safety, CB.

RB - Backup or Starter
WR- Backup/depth
OG- Starter
DE- Starter
Sam LB- Hopefully a good backup / potential starter
Mike LB- Hopefully a good backup / potential starter
Safety - backup/depth
CB- backup/depth

By your overview I'm guessing Allen Robinson is off the list. Who would be the WR depth targets?

The Niners should stay away from Butler. He's vastly overrated as a cover corner.
Share 49ersWebzone