LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

2017 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cali2COniner:
Looks like Suh is being released. What are your thoughts on getting him???

I'd sign him at the right price. Him and Buckner would cause havoc to opposing offensive lines.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Also remember that my $67M doesn't include money that can be saved if we cut Beadles, Tomlinson, Ward, Robinson, Jones, Harold, etc.... Cutting Ward saves $8.526M in cash, around $8M in cap due to top 51 rule, would really offset the Sherman signing money wise this year.

This can't be overstated. Pre or post June 1st, we can cut Zane Beadles ($3.5M), Earl Mitchell ($3.1M), Garrett Celek ($2.05M), Aldrick Robinson ($2.05M), Eli Harold ($1.907M), Laken Tomlinson a s ($1.6M), etc. Jimmie Ward has to be cut today or tomorrow after passing a physical. That would save $8.5M alone.

Collectively, that's another $22.7M for players that add virtually nothing right now with viable replacements already on the team.

Garnett basically replaces Beadles, Sherman/C.James replaces Ward, Day/Jones for Mitchell, Cole Hikutini for Celek, Bourne for Robinson, Pita for Harold, Magnusson for Tomlinson, etc.

Sherman is not as versatile as Ward but is a better LCB. He doesn't move around the field, or didn't in Seattle, so I'm not sure he can move to safety as Ward does. I know folks are down on Ward due to his injuries but he is valuable for that flexibility on the roster. Sherman push Johnson to a backup position. May help him learn how to play CB as well.

I'm anxious to see what they do with Reid and Tartt. Is Reid done? Or will he be able to withstand the pounding at SS?
Also remember that my $67M doesn't include money that can be saved if we cut Beadles, Tomlinson, Ward, Robinson, Jones, Harold, etc.... Cutting Ward saves $8.526M in cash, around $8M in cap due to top 51 rule, would really offset the Sherman signing money wise this year.

This can't be overstated. Pre or post June 1st, we can cut Zane Beadles ($3.5M), Earl Mitchell ($3.1M), Garrett Celek ($2.05M), Aldrick Robinson ($2.05M), Eli Harold ($1.907M), Laken Tomlinson a s ($1.6M), etc. Jimmie Ward has to be cut today or tomorrow after passing a physical. That would save $8.5M alone.

Collectively, that's another $22.7M for players that add virtually nothing right now with viable replacements already on the team.

Garnett basically replaces Beadles, Sherman/C.James replaces Ward, Day/Jones for Mitchell, Cole Hikutini for Celek, Bourne for Robinson, Pita for Harold, Magnusson for Tomlinson, etc.

I agree with cutting all those guys and using the money to shore up key positions and add depth to the roster.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Sherman is not as versatile as Ward but is a better LCB. He doesn't move around the field, or didn't in Seattle, so I'm not sure he can move to safety as Ward does. I know folks are down on Ward due to his injuries but he is valuable for that flexibility on the roster. Sherman push Johnson to a backup position. May help him learn how to play CB as well.

I'm anxious to see what they do with Reid and Tartt. Is Reid done? Or will he be able to withstand the pounding at SS?

I think if Ward restructures he can stay but his injury concerns outweigh his versatility at that cap number.
Originally posted by Arsenal2004:

I think if Ward restructures he can stay but his injury concerns outweigh his versatility at that cap number.

Only if they use up the cap room. They need to use a percentage of the cap this year and I'd rather see them keep Ward than bring in someone just to spend the money. Of course, if the 9ers are really becoming a highly desired team for FAs...I'd be fine with improving the team as much as possible. About the only players that can not be improved upon? Staley and JG. Other than those two no one should be safe. The young DL would be next...give them a chance to develop. Other than that I could see an 80 to 90% turn over next couple of years.
Only if they use up the cap room. They need to use a percentage of the cap this year and I'd rather see them keep Ward than bring in someone just to spend the money. Of course, if the 9ers are really becoming a highly desired team for FAs...I'd be fine with improving the team as much as possible. About the only players that can not be improved upon? Staley and JG. Other than those two no one should be safe. The young DL would be next...give them a chance to develop. Other than that I could see an 80 to 90% turn over next couple of years.

4 straight years on I.R. and he already lost his starting job to Adrian Colbert. And now he lost his chance at outside CB thanks to Sherman. We have depth at SS with Chancellor James backing up Jaquiski Tartt. So the FO just needs depth at FS and another CB. Ward is easily dispensible.
Does Norwell play on the left or right side?
4 straight years on I.R. and he already lost his starting job to Adrian Colbert. And now he lost his chance at outside CB thanks to Sherman. We have depth at SS with Chancellor James backing up Jaquiski Tartt. So the FO just needs depth at FS and another CB. Ward is easily dispensible.

He can play CB, Slot, and FS as a backup. His health is the major issue and I could see him being cut if he doesn't restructure. My point is that they have a ton of cap space so salary may not be the deciding factor. Once again, if they pick up enough pieces so he is not needed? Fine, cut him. But at the moment he's a better overall DB than most of their DBs. He is perhaps the 3rd best DB on the roster...especially if Reid is on his way down. Shanahan and Lynch are not tied to him so...
We have a punter battle boys!!
NCommand, need to change title to 2018 Team Information Needs now :)

• dj43

Ward is not a big deal to me. We aren't in cap trouble hence there is no need to cut him. He can be at least decent depth if he stays healthy. Since he isn't going to pass a physical in time to cut him now, talk of cutting him is all moot.

If we reduce his salary to 4-5 mill we'd save 3-4 mill on cap and can backup FS, slot and outside CB spots. Not to mention, I think would be handy on game days for his versatiliy.
NCommand, need to change title to 2018 Team Information Needs now :)

I know dude, I've been lagging. Soon!
He can play CB, Slot, and FS as a backup. His health is the major issue and I could see him being cut if he doesn't restructure. My point is that they have a ton of cap space so salary may not be the deciding factor. Once again, if they pick up enough pieces so he is not needed? Fine, cut him. But at the moment he's a better overall DB than most of their DBs. He is perhaps the 3rd best DB on the roster...especially if Reid is on his way down. Shanahan and Lynch are not tied to him so...

Originally posted by dj43:
Ward is not a big deal to me. We aren't in cap trouble hence there is no need to cut him. He can be at least decent depth if he stays healthy. Since he isn't going to pass a physical in time to cut him now, talk of cutting him is all moot.

Clearly we can absorb it but why? I'd rather pick up a veteran who's 1/4th the cost, stay healthy and roll the $ over to next year or use on another FA.

Originally posted by dj43:

Clearly we can absorb it but why? I'd rather pick up a veteran who's 1/4th the cost, stay healthy and roll the $ over to next year or use on another FA.

Assuming you can find a versatile guy who can backup three positions, I agree. But I'm not sure that's likely and having a guy who already knows the system may be a better option this next year. I must confess it amuses me that he and Tartt played on the same HS team...perhaps that is skewing my thoughts!
Share 49ersWebzone