Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by awp8912:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Truth.

Yup because losing 1 player and multiple future draft picks is enough to turn the team who played in the SB last season into the New York Jets.......

What an absolute pathetic justification from a brown nose blue check mark "journalist" who is clearly attempting to bail out this cheap FO.

#2MoreYearsBeforeTheirContractsAreUp

Kyle is signed thru 2025 and Lynch is here thru 2024.

My bad, didn't see you posted this, but I posted same as you, but not the image, love it, deal with it Lynch & Shanahan haters, you really want to go back to the days of Erickson/Donahue or Nolan/McCloughan, Singletary/McCloughan, or Harbs/Baalke(Yes Harbs was good, but it was a terrible environment, from Harbs, to Jed, to Baalke), or Tomsula/Baalke, or Chip/Tomsula? I loved Harbaugh and all, but he's proven he's not that great of a HC, he sucks in college, still gets extended cause he's a Michigan man, his offense left a lot to be desired, he refused to fire Greg Roman, which ultimately led to him being canned, plus he couldn't get over his own ego, "locker room is for real men" give me a break. Just glad Jed is staying out of the football operations like he said he would when John & Kyle were hired.

Harb wasn't great just not as bad as the previous ones. Vic Fangio top 5 defense carried that team. Those were years when the kicker broke Jerry Rice all time scoring record. Greg Roman offense always gets exposed at some point by superior talent, it happened to Kap and it's happening to Lamar.
Before anybody says about the great 2019 defense in Shanahan SB run, the offense was the second scoring offense in the NFL that same year.

Yep, agreed, Harbs had Vic Fangio's top 5 defense nearly every year he was HC. Roman was a horrible OC, like you said Kap got figured out, now Lamar is. And yes our offense in 2019 was very good, maybe not great passing wise, but great run wise.

Not many like the Vic Fangio hire back in 2011. Are we going to give Harbaugh credit for hiring the right DC or not?

Harbaugh knows how to win games. Every small decision counts. His offense is not very good, but it is the overall package that counts, not his offense alone.

I think it is unfair for richterkbelmont to rate him the same as Singletary and Nolan.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Like Aaron Rodgers who lost to Jimmy G who threw 6 passes because their defense couldn't stop Mostert and their OL couldn't stop Bosa.
And we'll see how Mahomes will do with a crippled OL against Todd Bowles defense. Mahomes threw 2 interceptions in the past SuperBowl and he's facing Tom Brady not Jimmy G this time.
I believe Tom Brady is the only guy I've seen truly elevate the level of the OL and WR around him.

Even Brady couldn't do much with the Patriots lack of talent on offense last season. You need a complete team, to be able to play well at all levels. Offense, defense and special teams. Even the best QB of all time can only do so much if you have a defense that leaks like a sieve and can't stop people. The 49ers trading a ton of picks for a QB is one thing, if they feel the QB is worth it, whatever, picks aren't guaranteed anyways but when you start talking about trading young, cornerstone players like Bosa and Warner, that is where it doesn't make any sense to me.

You take one step forward and then you take one step back.
You improve on offense but you lose on defense and ultimately, if you're going to the playoffs and you're facing Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Mahomes, whomever, you need to have a great pass rush to counter them otherwise you'll score 30, give up 45 and be sent packing.

Personally I like the idea of one year making it to the superbowl and the next year tanking to reload on draft picks and free agents to go after another super bowl the next year. ...and rinse and repeat.

SF Giants dynasty approach.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by rathman4481:
Lynch needs to rebuild OL and stock up DL again. Control the line of scrimmage and you're doing well.

If you can't get a top QB prospect, build up the OL, add some edge rushers and go back to running the football and beating the hell out of QB's again while continuing to evaluate the quarterback position.

And if you can get a top qb prospect, still build up the O line etc etc.

Yes sir!
Lynch needs to rebuild OL and stock up DL again. Control the line of scrimmage and you're doing well.

If you can't get a top QB prospect, build up the OL, add some edge rushers and go back to running the football and beating the hell out of QB's again while continuing to evaluate the quarterback position.
^ This is the way.

Yes sir!

+1

Wow more Dline help. SB here we come. The 49ers tradition was forged in the trenches!

#BringBackTheNinerDynastyOfThe80sWithEliteQBPlayNoMoreDefensiveHelpAtAll!
[ Edited by awp8912 on Feb 3, 2021 at 12:14 PM ]

It's fundamentally sound team building. The salary cap makes it so that even in the best case scenario this cycle is kind of endlessly repeating because you can't afford to stock top talent at every position, so you're continuously retooling via the draft (the alternative is blowing the whole team up every view years, like the Rams appear to be doing).

The only wrinkle we need to add for the future is to keep cycling through QB talent as well—we went 3 years in a row with the same QB room (Jimmy, CJ, Nick) when in hindsight we should probably have been introducing some other cheap vets and mid-late round draft picks to improve our depth. It seems like former first rounders are available sooner and sooner (even before the end of their rookie deals) and younger than ever. Bring one in every year, Kyle's bound to find something he can work with.
[ Edited by swayze on Feb 3, 2021 at 12:31 PM ]

For real. Few QB's can truly mask bad O-line play and I don't think any can do it consistently and against good teams.

We've seen plenty of highly thought of quarterbacks get drafted high, then have no O-line because they're on a bad team, get hammered and then be like shell shocked WWI soldiers.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
For real. Few QB's can truly mask bad O-line play and I don't think any can do it consistently and against good teams.

We've seen plenty of highly thought of quarterbacks get drafted high, then have no O-line because they're on a bad team, get hammered and then be like shell shocked WWI soldiers.

The Niners O line isn't as bad as it looked last year. They had problems at center all year that resulted in a couple of guys playing out of place. Williams had a couple of rough games early on but recovered and was a very good player for most of the year.

Don't disregard the fact that they played most of the year with backup QBs. That had to have some effect on the overall play since neither one gets rid of the ball as quickly as Jimmy. I think this line is more like it was in 2019 when it was middle of the pack in pass blocking. If they can draft a quality interior lineman and stabilize the center position they should be much better next year with Williams having a full year in their system and hopefully a training camp.

We have enough defensive depth that we could get away with giving up ONLY 2 1sts if we throw in 2 defensive players.....DO IT!

We are not the Chicago Bears! We are supposed to be the San Francisco 49ers a rich tradition of offensive dominance. f**k the defense.

Sellout for the offense FOR ONCE IN THE LAST 20 PLUS YEARS!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Truth.

This

+2

Lol forget superstar, how about one that isn't made of glass.

There's a ton of those out there, they just don't have a 70% win rate and can get you to a Lombardi contest.

We still living in 2019 in 2021 I see.

Well Jimmy hasn't lost any games in 2021 yet. So far so good.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

We have enough defensive depth that we could get away with giving up ONLY 2 1sts if we throw in 2 defensive players.....DO IT!

We are not the Chicago Bears! We are supposed to be the San Francisco 49ers a rich tradition of offensive dominance. f**k the defense.

A healthy elite defense beats a healthy elite offense!

Lol, so we should trade 2 1st's, maybe additional picks, plus Bosa & Warner for Watson? C'mon dude, that's frigging ridiculous if that's what you're getting at, trade the best young EDGE, and best LB in the NFL? No thanks. There's no one else on the team that would suit those needs, I doubt they want just any 2 defensive players, they likely want stars, not scrubs.

We would've never been in this position if the 49ers used their first-round pick in 2017 on Deshone "The Black Peyton Manning" Kizer.
Also I doubt it'd be only 2 1st rounders, they'll want 3 IMO, and likely multiple day 2 picks, plus 2 defensive stars, if so, no thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone