LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Signing Williams and Mack will be a start.

Start is the key word. They also need to address RG and RT. (and also an heir apparent to replace Tomlinson)
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by philgardis49:

Maybe Wyatt Davis in the 2nd if we get Watson and don't use that pick. I think a line of Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Davis and McGlinchey would be awesome.

I think the kid from Tennessee is a better choice to be our RG for the next 10 years..

DJ's latest mock!

Pick

San Francisco 49ers
Rashawn Slater · OT

School: Northwestern | Year: Senior

We'll see what happens with Trent Williams in free agency, but even if the Niners are able to re-sign him, Slater could easily slide inside to guard.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. Nearly everyone in the country still picked the Chiefs to win because Mahomes is so good he could transcend any OL.

Oops. It happened again.

And his WRs dropped 3 TDs still lol. It's funny you've brought up PPWR in here a lot and the KC OL had a 67% PPWR

Maybe that's another stat that needs to be reevaluated before we continue to use it.

and happened again SF lost for a multiple of reasons, the OL was A main one.

FTFY
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 16, 2021 at 10:18 AM ]
DJ's latest mock!

Pick

San Francisco 49ers
Rashawn Slater · OT

We'll see what happens with Trent Williams in free agency, but even if the Niners are able to re-sign him, Slater could easily slide inside to guard.

If they don't draft a QB, Slater is who I want at 12. A OL of Williams-Tomlinson-mack-Slater-McG is a god damn good OL. I won't stand for the OL is s**t slander anymore if this happens.

that's FIVE former 1st rd picks. If the QB can't produce then you don't have a starting caliber NFL QB. There are ZERO excuses.
I don't get why it has to be one thing or the other in this thread...both can be true. Better QB play, being able to extend plays AND having at the very least startable lineman who can stay on the field are all important to scoring pts.

I agree with this. But what you're missing here is that no QB, whether slated for the HOF (Brady) or on a fast track to get there (Mahomes), in a passing league can get there without really good pass protection up front. This has been especially proven in Superbowls.

Until our OL is performing in PP like Tampa and not like Kansas City/San Francisco, it doesn't matter how mobile your QB is.

You do get this, right?

Both need to be upgraded but we have very little idea who Garoppolo really is (or could have been) as he's been trying to perform under constant duress and poundings.

Maybe he's psychologically and physically broke by now. Either way, both can be improved this off season if the lightbulb finally went off and I don't see how that's not possible after watching the Superbowl and translating it to nearly every 49er game in a mirror.
DJ's latest mock!

Pick

San Francisco 49ers
Rashawn Slater · OT

If they don't draft a QB, Slater is who I want at 12. A OL of Williams-Tomlinson-mack-Slater-McG is a god damn good OL. I won't stand for the OL is s**t slander anymore if this happens.

that's FIVE former 1st rd picks. If the QB can't produce then you don't have a starting caliber NFL QB. There are ZERO excuses.

Let's do it!
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Start is the key word. They also need to address RG and RT. (and also an heir apparent to replace Tomlinson)

Yeah, Matt Maiocco also noted they may want to restructure Tomlinson's deal since he thinks it's pretty high. We gotta think about his future here too. It's coming up.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
But you forget NY, Jimmy has as many starts as a 2nd/3rd year full time QB. He doesn't see the field like Brady because he (1) hasn't had the starts and (2) really hasn't had a stable offensive cast in which to learn. The real question is will the 49ers create a space that's at least somewhat stable with protection and receiving outlets where he can develop and grow. Geidi's point about Steve Young (and any other QB) is that it takes time to develop. Brady had the luxury of developing INTO "The Tom Brady" within a rock solid organization and one of the greatest coaches in history. All that context matters IMHO. The last SB winners have had that base in with which to work. No, not every team was perfect, but had enough stability overs many, many seasons to arrive at where they are. Reid has done something similar in KC. I think a LOT of credit has to go to what has been accomplished. The SB was a bitter loss, but good god - a team in 2017 was completely bare in terms of talent and competitiveness, bombed out with their 1st round picks under the new admin, grabbed a **back-up** QB with minimal starts. Add in a pretty resilient injury bug that stretched back to the Baalke years, and 2 years after being hired took **this** squad to the SB after completely dominating the playoffs?

Wow.

Who was the last team to do a complete rebuild in **3** seasons with no designated starting QB or blue-chip talent arrives as one of the NFL best in such a short turnaround? Even the revered Jim Harbaugh didn't do that. Years and years of failure prior to that regime resulted in 5 years of top-of-the-draft picks that set a perfect stage for Harbs to walk in and just coach top talent. Not even close to what was here when KS and JL arrived as we know Baalke cut, traded or let walk in FA any talent that was left.

Again, I know this is the OL thread and want to bring this back here a bit. As stated above, all the successful QB developed with a stable platform. KS and JL are still figuring out what that looks like as (1) we continue to find/develop talent and (2) as the league adapts to our scheme as this offense becomes more common. I agree; QB play MUST improve. As stated above, QB improvement from who ever is behind center needs to have a damn good center hiking the ball and I expect that major milestone to be addressed soon.

Does that mean we're 100% committed to Jimmy? No. I think it just means we have to be a little patient with his development and weigh cost-benefit as other QB options come available. IMHO, that shouldn't come at the expense of creating/building a platform (team) for any QB to develop.

Thoughts? (open to all)

That's why bringing up the Tampa OL needs a big ol' ** next to it. Same OL minus a rookie RT, was top 5 in sacks allowed in 2019. we all read what team needs what in the off season and every one had Tampa as needed OL help. In reality they needed Tom Brady lol

and no I don't really by that we need to wait for JG to develop. He's been in the league for 7 yrs. he got to sit and learn coverages/reads from the GOAT then learn from shanahan. He's had the perfect scenario. People talk about rookies needing to sit then we talk about QBs not getting enough snaps to develop...I mean which is it? This league can't sit around and wait for you to figure it out 7 yrs into your career, especially when you're rocking a $137M contract.

if they roll with Jimmy they need to restructure (which has its own issues) and at the very least have a damn good backup....imo it should be a high end rookie.

I feel like this is gonna be a turning point in kyle/Lynch's careers here in SF (good/bad) This is a massive off season imo.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
But you forget NY, Jimmy has as many starts as a 2nd/3rd year full time QB. He doesn't see the field like Brady because he (1) hasn't had the starts and (2) really hasn't had a stable offensive cast in which to learn. The real question is will the 49ers create a space that's at least somewhat stable with protection and receiving outlets where he can develop and grow. Geidi's point about Steve Young (and any other QB) is that it takes time to develop. Brady had the luxury of developing INTO "The Tom Brady" within a rock solid organization and one of the greatest coaches in history. All that context matters IMHO. The last SB winners have had that base in with which to work. No, not every team was perfect, but had enough stability overs many, many seasons to arrive at where they are. Reid has done something similar in KC. I think a LOT of credit has to go to what has been accomplished. The SB was a bitter loss, but good god - a team in 2017 was completely bare in terms of talent and competitiveness, bombed out with their 1st round picks under the new admin, grabbed a **back-up** QB with minimal starts. Add in a pretty resilient injury bug that stretched back to the Baalke years, and 2 years after being hired took **this** squad to the SB after completely dominating the playoffs?

Wow.

Who was the last team to do a complete rebuild in **3** seasons with no designated starting QB or blue-chip talent arrives as one of the NFL best in such a short turnaround? Even the revered Jim Harbaugh didn't do that. Years and years of failure prior to that regime resulted in 5 years of top-of-the-draft picks that set a perfect stage for Harbs to walk in and just coach top talent. Not even close to what was here when KS and JL arrived as we know Baalke cut, traded or let walk in FA any talent that was left.

Again, I know this is the OL thread and want to bring this back here a bit. As stated above, all the successful QB developed with a stable platform. KS and JL are still figuring out what that looks like as (1) we continue to find/develop talent and (2) as the league adapts to our scheme as this offense becomes more common. I agree; QB play MUST improve. As stated above, QB improvement from who ever is behind center needs to have a damn good center hiking the ball and I expect that major milestone to be addressed soon.

Does that mean we're 100% committed to Jimmy? No. I think it just means we have to be a little patient with his development and weigh cost-benefit as other QB options come available. IMHO, that shouldn't come at the expense of creating/building a platform (team) for any QB to develop.

Thoughts? (open to all)

That's why bringing up the Tampa OL needs a big ol' ** next to it. Same OL minus a rookie RT, was top 5 in sacks allowed in 2019. we all read what team needs what in the off season and every one had Tampa as needed OL help. In reality they needed Tom Brady lol

and no I don't really by that we need to wait for JG to develop. He's been in the league for 7 yrs. he got to sit and learn coverages/reads from the GOAT then learn from shanahan. He's had the perfect scenario. People talk about rookies needing to sit then we talk about QBs not getting enough snaps to develop...I mean which is it? This league can't sit around and wait for you to figure it out 7 yrs into your career, especially when you're rocking a $137M contract.

if they roll with Jimmy they need to restructure (which has its own issues) and at the very least have a damn good backup....imo it should be a high end rookie.

I feel like this is gonna be a turning point in kyle/Lynch's careers here in SF (good/bad) This is a massive off season imo.

Tom Brady would have been minced meat here with the usual injuries, offensive weapons constantly hurt and in and out of the lineup and pass protection issues and running backs in and out.

Tampa, on talent alone was a top 3 team BEFORE Tom joined them. I said that back then too.

As you say, both can be true. Their development and investment in protecting Brady was real and Brady in turn, helped them with experience and weapons. No doubt. And a HC who adjusted to Tom's advice.

Let's recreate that here. Invest in the OL and give someone with more upside the full compliment to grow and develop properly over time.

Don't undersell that rookie tackle for the Bucs. Tristan Wirfs is already the best right tackle in the league. Dude was absolutely dominant this season.

And of course, we passed.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 16, 2021 at 11:02 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
Don't undersell that rookie tackle for the Bucs. Tristan Wirfs is already the best right tackle in the league. Dude was absolutely dominant this season.

And of course, we passed.

49ers had Trent and McG already coming into 2020 season. I don't think they were considering OT at #13 overall. It'd be a mistake if they knew how much McG would regress but I assume they didn't see that coming.
Originally posted by thl408:
49ers had Trent and McG already coming into 2020 season. I don't think they were considering OT at #13 overall. It'd be a mistake if they knew how much McG would regress but I assume they didn't see that coming.

Well, they did trade for Trent Williams after day 1, so they had a chance to adjust their plan and draft Tristan Wirfs.

Coincidentally, that's exactly who Tristan Wirfs reminds me of us when I watch him play. He's a young Trent Williams.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM ]
  • thl408

Well, they did trade for Trent Williams after day 1, so they had a chance to adjust their plan and draft Tristan Wirfs.

Coincidentally, that's exactly who Tristan Wirfs reminds me of us when I watch him play. He's a young Trent Williams.

Oh that's right, Trent wasn't acquired until day 2 of the draft.

Deep draft for WR's too (Aiyuk). Thinking ahead, same concept this year, get a guy like Slater (just add talent) and start him at G for a year or two. Is this FO really going to be able to afford two expensive T's? Probably not...need a rookie contract esp. if he's a better player.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 16, 2021 at 12:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone