LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
So the 49ers could have had frank ragnow at center and orlando brown jr. Instead they got mcglinchey and pettis.

When healthy Richburg was one of the best centers in the game. Looking back in hindsight, we should have gone center instead of mcglincy and have one of our free agent tackles take over Mcglinchys spot. *in hindsight* if we knew there was going to be so many injuries in 2020, they would have done a lot of things differently.
everyone else in the league looking at OLs as a whole:

SF fans:

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 15, 2021 at 6:07 AM ]
I'd love to see Lombardi break this down since he's such a PFF lover Also I don't totally agree...improvements must be made.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 15, 2021 at 6:32 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
everyone else in the league looking at OLs as a whole:

SF fans:

Bwahahaha. So stupid. Weren't they top 10 like a month ago? Now top 4?

Anyone with an ounce of common sense:

[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 15, 2021 at 8:51 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'd love to see Lombardi break this down since he's such a PFF lover Also I don't totally agree...improvements must be made.

With 10 draft picks there's got to be an OLine pick there somewhere.
Should we resign Trent, sign Mack and use the #12 for an OL or would that be overkill?
Originally posted by Giedi:
With 10 draft picks there's got to be an OLine pick there somewhere.

I along with this entire board will be shocked if they don't pick at least one and probably two O linemen. Preferably in the top 3 rounds.
Originally posted by 49inchesdeep:
Should we resign Trent, sign Mack and use the #12 for an OL or would that be overkill?

I don't think you can ever have too many quality linemen. Just ask KC. One or two injuries and the season can fall apart.
The 49ers need to sign Trent First. I believe the they will target Mack, but they should be targeting Lindsay from GB to be our center. He is younger and yeah I know he will cost a bit. There is a possibility that the new TV may be done before there is official offseason begins. Therefore, there might be a lot more money added to the salary cap. If there is a substantial amount added to the cap#, get Williams and Lindsay. I would love to get Brandon Scherff their all pro RG. He will most likely be tagged.... just dreaming out loud.

More like ideal than overkill
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I don't think you can ever have too many quality linemen. Just ask KC. One or two injuries and the season can fall apart.

Post of the day.
I've posted similar comments in the past but I want to repeat that even the best O line isn't going to solve all of Jimmy's problems. The Niners run an offense not unlike many around the league. There are a lot of short passes mixed in with runs. Not a lot of really long throws (30 yards or more). The reason is obvious. The average time a QB has is about 2.7 seconds. Fifty-eight percent of all sacks happened between 2 and 3 seconds. That tells me that O lines are having trouble. Why?

Colleges mostly run option offenses that don't require O linemen to hold blocks very long. That doesn't mean thy can't learn in the NFL but they aren't coming out of college ready to be accomplished pass blockers. So what are teams doing? Throwing quick short passes. The average QB completion percentage is way higher than it was a few years ago. It used to be considered good to complete 63% of your passes. Now QBs are routinely completing 67-70%. It's not because they're better. It's because of the short patterns over the middle that are a higher % throw. The same kind Kyle likes. Having a mobile QB isn't going to change the offense much other than maybe an occasional option run. What it would do is but him more time when the blocking breaks down, and it will break down. When it doesn't, even the fastest QB is better off throwing from the pocket.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I've posted similar comments in the past but I want to repeat that even the best O line isn't going to solve all of Jimmy's problems. The Niners run an offense not unlike many around the league. There are a lot of short passes mixed in with runs. Not a lot of really long throws (30 yards or more). The reason is obvious. The average time a QB has is about 2.7 seconds. Fifty-eight percent of all sacks happened between 2 and 3 seconds. That tells me that O lines are having trouble. Why?

Colleges mostly run option offenses that don't require O linemen to hold blocks very long. That doesn't mean thy can't learn in the NFL but they aren't coming out of college ready to be accomplished pass blockers. So what are teams doing? Throwing quick short passes. The average QB completion percentage is way higher than it was a few years ago. It used to be considered good to complete 63% of your passes. Now QBs are routinely completing 67-70%. It's not because they're better. It's because of the short patterns over the middle that are a higher % throw. The same kind Kyle likes. Having a mobile QB isn't going to change the offense much other than maybe an occasional option run. What it would do is but him more time when the blocking breaks down, and it will break down. When it doesn't, even the fastest QB is better off throwing from the pocket.

Agreed. Hopefully we'll have a dominant D and run game to help out Jimmy again. If not, we should all expect a 9-7 kind of season.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Agreed. Hopefully we'll have a dominant D and run game to help out Jimmy again. If not, we should all expect a 9-7 kind of season.

Glad you brought up the D. That really helped in 2019. They consistently stopped the other team from getting long drives and created turnovers. That gave the team a shorter field. I don't think Jimmy could ever be successful without a strong D. He's just not the kind of QB that can keep bailing the team out like Seattle asks Wilson to do. Eventually even Wilson can't save you.
Share 49ersWebzone