LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 201 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Tom Brady would have been minced meat here with the usual injuries, offensive weapons constantly hurt and in and out of the lineup and pass protection issues and running backs in and out.

Tampa, on talent alone was a top 3 team BEFORE Tom joined them. I said that back then too.

As you say, both can be true. Their development and investment in protecting Brady was real and Brady in turn, helped them with experience and weapons. No doubt. And a HC who adjusted to Tom's advice.

Let's recreate that here. Invest in the OL and give someone with more upside the full compliment to grow and develop properly over time.

Tommy would have done his thing just as well in SF this yr. I also don't think someone like Kittle get's hurt because Brady doesn't throw him a hospital ball to start off the yr.

The play calls change and I don't think Deebo is a glorified running back taking hits all game either.

You can't assume the same thing happens in here when you have someone like Tom as the QB.

Tampa had guys out at different times of the yr like Evans/Goodwin , they lost OJ Howard to a season ending injury etc. Their RB situation wasn't amazing at all last yr.

Again you put Winston behind the OL in 2020 he's getting sacked all day. He can NOT read a defense like Tom, not a single QB can in this league can. He calls the plays for god sake. He knows when to get rid of the ball. He can feel pressure. It's been like that just the same in NE. He was never hurt. Jimmy G couldn't even last a game in a half behind the same OL without getting hurt.
When even Grant Cohn gets it now.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Tommy would have done his thing just as well in SF this yr.

LOL. To an 8-8 record and straight to retirement.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Correct 7 years sitting behind a HOF QB, **but ** without a lot of playing time. You and I both know a QB gets better playing (after a point), not sitting. He had the perfect scenario as a back-up. And you're right he had the (somewhat) prefect scenario *** as a starter in 2019 *** and what was the result? And let's be honest off-season 2019 had A LOT of questions at WR and OL. No one had us slated for a SB appearance.

So what is it then? I got people telling me if we draft a QB he has to sit for a yr to "learn". Now it's hey he's gotta play to develop? Shoot you can't do both, this league doesn't have time for that anymore. Look at all these QBs getting tossed around. Outside of Stafford none of them are older then Jimmy.

Why is it that Jimmy has literally no trade market? If he was even the slightest good, we'd have some sort of report saying teams were willing to give up something....crickets. We got the Colts willing to give up a couple 2nds for Wentz lol. Dude is a horrible teammate, went rouge on his HC, and has been injured more than Jimmy, plus has a big ol' fat contract. Even he's getting a look. Darnold who's played worse is getting takers. nothing for Jimmy? Why should we be the team that has to invest into him even more then?

I think we need to face it and realize Jimmy is who he is an avg starting QB in the NFL. We can talk about his "stats" from 2019, but that can be broken down to show they're not overall that impressive. His stats are right on par with Case Keenum from his 2017 run with the Vikings. I think Jimmy is better, but not by some wide margin. He's had same damn good situations since coming into the league. You can't say that for a lot of these young highly drafted QBs.

That 2019 had more to do with just being capable to run the offense, then it did with him actually making this team a whole hell of a lot better. His margin of error in 2019 was the size of Rhode island. He had a top 2 defense and running game. He had some of the lowest metrics in regards to depth of target and yet was one of the higher QBs in INT % (that's not good). They didn't have some murders row at the beginning of the season either.

IMO Kyle is a boss end of the day with play-calling. I mean go look at freaking 2017 with Hoyer and a MUCH worse roster....5 of his 6 starts they lost by 3 pts or less. Hoyer is garbage & so was that roster BUT they still were in all those games. That's one Kyle. How about we go get a legit QB for him to grow with??

All I'm saying is SF can NOT put all their eggs in the Jimmy G basket again. There has to be some sort of plan beyond 2021. I don't think anyone truly believes he's gonna get another contract here. Do you? So then what? We go say 9-8 or 9-7 this yr (with a watered down roster) and have no shot at a rookie QB (in what looks like a worse draft)? What happens if Jimmy does what he's done here and in NE an gets hurt? Another lost season with some random backup? I'm not sure how many more seasons Lynch/Kyle get a pass for doing that....Outside of having Jimmy gifted to them, they done nothing to get better at the QB position. If the plan is to wait for Kirk or old man Ryan in a yr or two

This is the yr they need to make a play...if they don't win the SB big deal...if they get a FQB that's vastly more important. I want yr after yr of being a contender. I just don't understand how people are okay with not taking a shot to improve at the one position that makes everything better (including OL)?

sorry for the long response s**t gets me fired up lol.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Don't undersell that rookie tackle for the Bucs. Tristan Wirfs is already the best right tackle in the league. Dude was absolutely dominant this season.

And of course, we passed.

and do you think they win as many games with Winston as their QB? One RT doesn't turn that OL from poop to one of the best in football IMO (which they are). That's not me hating on Wirfs who played great for a rookie. That's me saying the GOAT is above all and makes everything better.

It's embarrassing that you're using him for anything.

Nope he would have made everyone better around him just like he did with that Tampa OL who allowed almost 50 sacks on Winston in 2019.

It's embarrassing that you're using him for anything.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

and do you think they win as many games with Winston as their QB? One RT doesn't turn that OL from poop to one of the best in football IMO (which they are). That's not me hating on Wirfs who played great for a rookie. That's me saying the GOAT is above all and makes everything better.

Nope. Winston is terrible. I agree with you that the GOAT makes everything better.

But that doesn't change the fact that Wirfs was amazing.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 16, 2021 at 12:52 PM ]

Nope he would have made everyone better around him just like he did with that Tampa OL who allowed almost 50 sacks on Winston in 2019.

He never would have survived NY (pass protection + field).
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 16, 2021 at 12:54 PM ]

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

No dude not with Grant....his a turd.
No dude not with Grant....his a turd.

Hahaha. True. He's still right though.
  • thl408

Having Brady means your OL can hold on every play and it's okay.

No he would have made everyone better including he OL. SF would have been in the playoffs and there's not a single thing you can say that would change my opinion on that.

You can NOT tell me that Brady doesn't help SF win these games

AZ week 1
Eagles
Seattle (at least one game)
DC
Dallas.

They're a 10 win team with Brady and go to the playoffs, without question.
Hahaha. True. He's still right though.

He's never right, they would have won 9-10 games with Brady this yr.

Grant is the same dude that will b***h at SF "missing" on any of the top 4 QBs if they turn out good and Jimmy is just avg.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 16, 2021 at 1:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone