LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Does the league have something against us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GORO:
I do think that the Refs do not like Harbaugh and they may not be trying to be biased but they will probably call a play here and there that they might not call, just because of dislike for Jim. He needs to be like Pete Carroll and compliment the referees from time to time.

the way he screams at them like a petulant child cannot work in his favour for calls down the road in the game. i dont think they're out to get us, but they probably go against us in the 50-50 calls.
Originally posted by crabman82:
I do think that the Refs do not like Harbaugh and they may not be trying to be biased but they will probably call a play here and there that they might not call, just because of dislike for Jim. He needs to be like Pete Carroll and compliment the referees from time to time.

the way he screams at them like a petulant child cannot work in his favour for calls down the road in the game. i dont think they're out to get us, but they probably go against us in the 50-50 calls.

It's tough to change a person's character. Different coaches have different personalities and react differently to events on the field. I agree, I would prefer that Harbaugh doesn't scream and throw a fit everytime a call doesn't go his way, but I also don't think that's going to change. It's just who he is. When I watch the Niners I get really emotional behave a little on the insane side. At any other time I'm extremely quiet, cool, and collected, but when a 49ers game is on I have a complete transformation. Sometimes I tell myself I need to control it, but when game time comes, I just react without thinking. I think Harbaugh is the same way in how he coaches on the sideline.
Lately I havent noticed Harbaugh being so animated, looks like hes toning it down a bit but maybe its just me.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Watch out, or cciowa will post : "blame the refs = 49erwhiners" like he's done in another thread.

We should just learn to overcome our WR's being held and our QB being struck in the head/neck regularly without it being flagged. In fact, from now on any mention of unfair treatment (even in the face of overwhelming proof to support it), is baseless whining.
Originally posted by real9erfan:

It's tough to change a person's character. Different coaches have different personalities and react differently to events on the field. I agree, I would prefer that Harbaugh doesn't scream and throw a fit everytime a call doesn't go his way, but I also don't think that's going to change. It's just who he is. When I watch the Niners I get really emotional behave a little on the insane side. At any other time I'm extremely quiet, cool, and collected, but when a 49ers game is on I have a complete transformation. Sometimes I tell myself I need to control it, but when game time comes, I just react without thinking. I think Harbaugh is the same way in how he coaches on the sideline.

the last straw for me was vs the titans. up 24-0 he lost his cool cus VD was pushed or grabbed on a pass play but it was within 5 yards so there was some doubt as to whether they would toss a flag or not. for me i can tolerate losing your cool in the super bowl on goal to go. but when you're up 24 on the road in the second half, just let it go, you're gonna win the game. i wish he had johns demeanor

the last straw for me was vs the titans. up 24-0 he lost his cool cus VD was pushed or grabbed on a pass play but it was within 5 yards so there was some doubt as to whether they would toss a flag or not. for me i can tolerate losing your cool in the super bowl on goal to go. but when you're up 24 on the road in the second half, just let it go, you're gonna win the game. i wish he had johns demeanor

Hes just super competitive. You cant change that, its his personality.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Hes just super competitive. You cant change that, its his personality.

just doing the math here, he needs to change it, had the heart thing last year, throw in john fox and gary kubiak and he could ne next. he has to learn. isnt it his saying that you never stay the same you either get better or get worse each day? needs to take his own advice.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
idk if they have something against..

but i think we probably lead the league in the past 3 years in the most blatant non-call and bad calls for one team

is this a researched thought? or just a i mainly watch the 49ers and thats the conclusion i'm coming to thought?

Probably not but since you are the new NFL spokesman on officiating, perhaps, aside from the Tuck Rule, you can go find some comparable CRITICAL calls in the final 3 minutes of a game in AFC or NFC Championship game, Superbowl, between two teams vying for the 2nd best record in NFC/AFC, etc. You know, games that genuinely mean something. The Pats/Panthers game is a decent one. Let me know if you find any patterns.

as i have said all week, when the brooks play happened if you (speaking generally not you personally) didnt think there was a chance for a penalty to be called on a play like that, then you havent been paying close enough attention to how they are protecting qbs in the pocket like that. i'm fine with the play he made but i also knew right away there was a chance for a penalty based off of how anal they are about portecting the qbs. its all about expectations going in.

No I didn't and I'll tell you why...b/c THIS year I've seen CK have his entire body contorted backwards via his helmet ripped back over his face. I've seen Alex Smith on national TV RIGHT in front of a ref take a FOREARM to the face, bloody as hell, and not even a HINT of a penalty was thrown. I've NEVER seen a roughing the QB d/t a "blow to the neck" in my life. If you can find me one of those bad boys, I'll chip in for Brooks fine myself! It's the inconsistency of these "judgment calls" is why I didn't think anything of it, in real time and esp. when slowed down. That said, I can still "understand" a call like this b/c it looked so violent but at the critical juncture of the game, like in the Pats game, you get together and make the right call. They failed and naturally, the NFL and it's officials (and you) will back it up. No amount of spin or fine is going to change 95% of the country on this one. You, Louisiana and Mississippi are in that 5% here...even with the Tuck Rule, I bet you can find still find 5% of the population that believes it was the right rule/call. But I'm pretty sure that 5% too, also lived in Boston.

Now, get to your rsearch...we're waiting.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
idk if they have something against..

but i think we probably lead the league in the past 3 years in the most blatant non-call and bad calls for one team

is this a researched thought? or just a i mainly watch the 49ers and thats the conclusion i'm coming to thought?

Probably not but since you are the new NFL spokesman on officiating, perhaps, aside from the Tuck Rule, you can go find some comparable CRITICAL calls in the final 3 minutes of a game in AFC or NFC Championship game, Superbowl, between two teams vying for the 2nd best record in NFC/AFC, etc. You know, games that genuinely mean something. The Pats/Panthers game is a decent one. Let me know if you find any patterns.

as i have said all week, when the brooks play happened if you (speaking generally not you personally) didnt think there was a chance for a penalty to be called on a play like that, then you havent been paying close enough attention to how they are protecting qbs in the pocket like that. i'm fine with the play he made but i also knew right away there was a chance for a penalty based off of how anal they are about portecting the qbs. its all about expectations going in.

No I didn't and I'll tell you why...b/c THIS year I've seen CK have his entire body contorted backwards via his helmet ripped back over his face. I've seen Alex Smith on national TV RIGHT in front of a ref take a FOREARM to the face, bloody as hell, and not even a HINT of a penalty was thrown. I've NEVER seen a roughing the QB d/t a "blow to the neck" in my life. If you can find me one of those bad boys, I'll chip in for Brooks fine myself! It's the inconsistency of these "judgment calls" is why I didn't think anything of it, in real time and esp. when slowed down. That said, I can still "understand" a call like this b/c it looked so violent but at the critical juncture of the game, like in the Pats game, you get together and make the right call. They failed and naturally, the NFL and it's officials (and you) will back it up. No amount of spin or fine is going to change 95% of the country on this one. You, Louisiana and Mississippi are in that 5% here...even with the Tuck Rule, I bet you can find still find 5% of the population that believes it was the right rule/call. But I'm pretty sure that 5% too, also lived in Boston.

Now, get to your rsearch...we're waiting.

i dont have to do any "rsearch" to know a play like that is going to draw a flag sometimes, and other times it wont. we got the short end of it this past week and i have moved on. for those of you so completely frustrated by it, i can tell you that its going to happen again, probably to another team and we wont care about it. it only stings when it snipes your team.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Lately I havent noticed Harbaugh being so animated, looks like hes toning it down a bit but maybe its just me.

True, I noticed it too. Hope that trend continues. I think the two best friends for HCs would be the dentist and a cardiologist.

i dont have to do any "rsearch" to know a play like that is going to draw a flag sometimes, and other times it wont. we got the short end of it this past week and i have moved on. for those of you so completely frustrated by it, i can tell you that its going to happen again, probably to another team and we wont care about it. it only stings when it snipes your team.

Not if you are a fan of the game. I'd be pissed if a play like that cost a team in the Superbowl. Oh wait...

And THAT is why this issue is so large to PLAYERS of the NFL (ex and current). It's about what it represents. If a play like this has ever happened in the past (blow to the neck) or in the future, please feel free to post it b/c I will be the first person to tell you it was wrong. All fans of football can get behind that b/c it represents the integrity of the game. For two days, some 100 posts of yours, you are claiming we all should move on and this happens all the time and this is just the way it is. Then show me...b/c I'm pretty sure if this happened all the time, it would be covered ad nasseum in the media like this one has been (and will continue to be on Monday night). But it hasn't...
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM ]

Not if you are a fan of the game. I'd be pissed if a play like that cost a team in the Superbowl. Oh wait...

And THAT is why this issue is so large to PLAYERS of the NFL (ex and current). It's about what it represents. If a play like this has ever happened in the past or in the future, please feel free to post it b/c I will be the first person to tell you it was wrong. All fans of football can get behind that b/c it represents the integrity of the game. For two days, some 100 posts of yours are claiming we all should move on and this happens all the time. Show me...b/c I'm pretty sure if this happened all the time, it would be covered ad nasseum like this one has been (and will continue to be on Monday night).

it does happen all the time. borderline roughing the passer penalties happen a lot. for some reason you wanted to limit it to the final 3 mins of games and in nfc or afc titles games or whatever you said. a quick browse around on sunday to various games will show lots of borderline calls, some right and some wrong. its not my job to give you a detailed run down of them. michael bennett of the seahawks got a tacky one a couple of weeks ago that i can remember right off of the top. theres a reason i paused on my celebration of the play cus i knew there was a chance a flag could get tossed, doesnt mean i have to agree with it, but i got to be aware of the state of this game today to know its a real possibility. i'm off to work now so if u respond my response wont be right away, but i'll scan this thread and respond when i'm off, cheers.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Nov 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM ]
No. It's just bad luck. There are bad calls, bad rules, and bad enforcement of those rules all the time. We got screwed much worse on the biggest stage in the SB - with blatant double hold in the middle of the field on the 108 yard kick return, the Crabtree non-call, and Ed Reed being clearly offsides on the 2 pt conversion that would have allowed us to tie the game with a FG instead of going for it on 4th and goal with the Crabtree non-call. Still, I don't believe for a second the NFL or officials have any bias. They just screw up too much, and teams need to be able to challenge game changing calls like PI and personal fouls where possession is changed. Maybe just one a game so it's not excessive. But if you want to challenge that instead of a guy's feet being in bounds or whatever, that should be your call. The reason there needs to be a way to get a ball call correct is there are only 16 games in football. You could argue that one regular season basketball/baseball/hockey game doesn't mean that much. But in football one game is OFTEN the difference in home field, making the playoffs etc. We got screwed and we have been getting screwed too much recently, but I haven't ever felt like there is a bias. If the NFL or even one officials ever got caught rigging games or showing bias there would be too big of a price to pay to risk all the fans that felt like they couldn't believe what they saw was legit. Although the rules are getting so soft they are surely losing some fans already.

I am mad about the Brooks call/rule and totally disagree with it. Still, we have to find a way to win that game even with the bad call. Because in any game where you are the beneficiary of the worst rule in the history of sports, you have to be able to find a way to win. The fumble out of the end zone rule where the team that fumbles automatically loses possession and nearly 20 yards of field position without the opponent even recovering the ball is so beyond stupid and unfair. It is completely laughable that rule hasn't been changed. If you wanted to make the fumbling team pay, make the ball go back to the 20 and include a loss of the down. Even that would be totally ridiculous. But why do we get the ball and 20 yards when when NO fumbles and we don't recover? Because they didn't recover either? A fumble out of bounds carries no penalty anywhere else on the field. As bad of enforcement of the rule as the Brooks call was, at least there is some kind of reason for that call as it helps protect QB's, the NFL's biggest draws. The touchback rule makes no sense whatsoever.
[ Edited by bpg4980 on Nov 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
lol there was nothing close about the crabtree call dude. f**k that. brooks hit was clean as well but it was a little closer. theres no way the nfl didnt give that game to the ravens tho. holding on returns gets missed sometimes as well but not when two guys do it on the same play.

Except that...if that was Carlos Rodgers against Torrey Smith and the exact same thing happened, you'd be saying it was a good no call and the refs should let the players play and decide the game. You can deny it but you know its true and so does everyone else and that's okay.

we've gotten lucky with some breaks before too but thats the superbowl. if the most important game in sports can be called unfairly the integrity of the game is compromised
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we've gotten lucky with some breaks before too but thats the superbowl. if the most important game in sports can be called unfairly the integrity of the game is compromised

First, you dodged the question...isn't true if the exact same play happens but its Carlos Rodgers against Torrey Smith and there's no holding or PI called, you could care less whether the ref blew the call or called it "unfairly"? Just admit it. Everyone already knows that's the case. There's no reason to dodge it.

Second, one can agree to disagree about whether the ref blew the call, but to claim it was part of a plan that compromised the integrity of the game is ludicrous. Wouldn't 4th and goal be a little late to suddenly try to make sure the Ravens won? Why not call a hold on first down...or second down...or third down??? The 49ers could have scored on any of the prior downs where there were no flags were thrown. To believe your premise, you would have to believe that the NFL wanted the Ravens to win but took the risk that the 49ers wouldn't score before 4th down before having the ref intentionally swallow his flag on 4th down. Really? That makes sense to you as a well planned grand conspiracy?
Share 49ersWebzone