LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Does the league have something against us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can someone tell me what was so lucky about our 2011 team
Originally posted by 951NINER:

Everything... Basically every call went our way, our turnover rate was ridiculous, most fumbles excluding the last game were never lost, so many things were in our favor when we pulled out all those defensive battles for the W.
Originally posted by Chico:
All the bad calls lately? The SB calls with holding on Crabs, the player pushing a ref and there's no calls or flags, holding on Bruce Miller...
Brooks getting fined on top of the bogus call that could have cost us the game. It just seems like lately they have been picking on us and letting the other teams win.

I mean the SB was so lame and disgusting because we know how cute of a story it is for Ray Lewis to go out on top. It's like when Seattle lost to Pittsburgh in the SB because they wanted Jermoe Bettis to go out on top. I HATE Seattle and glad they lost but that SB was so rigged!

What do you guys think? too much favoritism in this league?

To be fair to the league, they're a*****es to everyone! The calls/rules are very inconsistant and I don't think the refs know what's a penalty anymore. There's too many rules and its easy to manipulate them. I think that the league SHOULD simply the rules. I mean, whats the difference between hitting a QB around the shoulders in the pocket then if he was running towards the sideline? It's a damn shame that these frivolous lawsuits are scaring the league, but they're going to lose the casual fans overtime; thus, costing them even more money in the long run. Goodell is the WORST commissioner in my lifetime and it's not even close. Even with selig's steriod scandal, at least he swept the problem underneath the rug to drive up the entertainment value of baseball which benefits the fans.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Everything... Basically every call went our way, our turnover rate was ridiculous, most fumbles excluding the last game were never lost, so many things were in our favor when we pulled out all those defensive battles for the W.

Attrition aside, I don't remember many controversial plays going in our favor. A few close games we won but nothing to say we got lucky.
Watch out, or cciowa will post : "blame the refs = 49erwhiners" like he's done in another thread.
Originally posted by wailers15:
LOL. wow and you wonder why other fans call us whiners!

Look bad calls are human error. it's a part of the game.

WE PUT OURSLEVES IN THOSE POSITIONS!!!!

The Super Bowl. Yeah was holding, but why didn't we run the ball when the ravens couldn't stop us. Why did Cully fall down all over the place and let Jones look great.

Saints game. The lack of QB awareness hurt us. Sorry but hiking the ball with 1 second left everytime is the advantage for the D. All they have to do is stack up in the box, and our O-line will get destroyed. That ties into play calling. Need to pass more. Screens, cuts, etc.

It's on the team not on the refs. So let's say we get the ball back after the Brees sack. I highly doubt we score. We could not run the ball worth a damn in the 4th qrtr. Snyder was geting blown up, o-line was slow off the ball (but that's going to happen when u keep hiking the ball with 1 second left)

STOP THE b***hING!!!!!! We beat ourselves. We put ourselves in these positions. Look at everytime we get into the redzone and can't convert, and kick FG's.

I agree with your post. The game should never be left in the hands of the refs. It's obvious that they cannot do their job competently! If we played solid football in all three phases, it would be impossible for the refs to screw us. At the end of the day, the team didn't execute! However, the only thing i would disagree with is if the team did get that ball back from the willis sack/fumble, the team could've ran the clock as much as they can and punt the ball inside the ten. Brees would have to drive 55 yards with limited time to get into fg range. Not impossible, but unlikely; although, by the way the league calls PI penalties, it's certainly possible.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Attrition aside, I don't remember many controversial plays going in our favor. A few close games we won but nothing to say we got lucky.

Attrition did help, but I guess I look at the turnovers and in 2011 we came up with every fumble and down with every interception, Rogers looked like he was an allstar receiver at CB that season. Contrast that to this season and we've seen our fair share of dropped would-be interceptions, we've lost a few fumbles and the calls dont seem to be doing the niners any favors. There might not of been controvertial calls in 2011 but throughout the games like the one against the browns it takes allot of little things to win those types of games, and back then all those little things went in our favor.
idk if they have something against..

but i think we probably lead the league in the past 3 years in the most blatant non-call and bad calls for one team
Originally posted by pdizo916:

The Super Bowl. Yeah was holding, but why didn't we run the ball when the ravens couldn't stop us. Why did Cully fall down all over the place and let Jones look great.

Saints game. The lack of QB awareness hurt us. Sorry but hiking the ball with 1 second left everytime is the advantage for the D. All they have to do is stack up in the box, and our O-line will get destroyed. That ties into play calling. Need to pass more. Screens, cuts, etc.

It's on the team not on the refs. So let's say we get the ball back after the Brees sack. I highly doubt we score. We could not run the ball worth a damn in the 4th qrtr. Snyder was geting blown up, o-line was slow off the ball (but that's going to happen when u keep hiking the ball with 1 second left)

STOP THE b***hING!!!!!! We beat ourselves. We put ourselves in these positions. Look at everytime we get into the redzone and can't convert, and kick FG's.

I agree with your post. The game should never be left in the hands of the refs. It's obvious that they cannot do their job competently! If we played solid football in all three phases, it would be impossible for the refs to screw us. At the end of the day, the team didn't execute! However, the only thing i would disagree with is if the team did get that ball back from the willis sack/fumble, the team could've ran the clock as much as they can and punt the ball inside the ten. Brees would have to drive 55 yards with limited time to get into fg range. Not impossible, but unlikely; although, by the way the league calls PI penalties, it's certainly possible.

I agree in general that we should always play well enough to win and not worry about he refs. However, what some of you are suggesting is that we should never allow games to be close. Well, that's simply not realistic when playing good teams. Games are going to be close and are probably going to be decided by a play here or a break there. That's why I think that in such games, the officials should try as much as possible not to put themselves in a position to decide the outcome of the game. Now if there is an obvious penalty, of course they should call it. But to take away a potentially game-saving play from the 49ers and hand the ball back to the Saints on a very iffy penalty call just doesn't sit well with me. It's over, there's nothing we can do about it and the team has to look to improve, but that doesn't stop me from being upset about the call.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

but i think we probably lead the league in the past 3 years in the most blatant non-call and bad calls for one team

is this a researched thought? or just a i mainly watch the 49ers and thats the conclusion i'm coming to thought?

Originally posted by pdizo916:

Fair enough...but you are missing the other side of the coin a bit. While we shouldn't BE in position to worry about a 50-50 call, we tend to forget the Saints were behind at that juncture...down 3 and just turned the ball over. So they TOO were in the same position as we were...they hadn't "executed" all day. But that CALL was, at minimum, a 6 (possibly 10) point swing. We would have had the ball inside their 40 under 3 minutes and we had already kicked a 55 yard FG.

I'm just waiting for that big call that helps US in the final 3 minutes of a big, close game...one that REALLY helps us get the W. Either way, in our favor or not, as an objective fan, you must not be biased. I will concede the Rice fumble was a fumble like I concede VD fumbled the ball recently (fortunately, in the end, that play made no difference in the game).

Credit the Saints for making it count but let's not pretend that call wasn't gift-wrapped with a special stocking gift of momentum.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:

is this a researched thought? or just a i mainly watch the 49ers and thats the conclusion i'm coming to thought?

Probably not but since you are the new NFL spokesman on officiating, perhaps, aside from the Tuck Rule, you can go find some comparable CRITICAL calls in the final 3 minutes of a game in AFC or NFC Championship game, Superbowl, between two teams vying for the 2nd best record in NFC/AFC, etc. You know, games that genuinely mean something. The Pats/Panthers game is a decent one. Let me know if you find any patterns.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM ]
It's hard to say...since this league is crazy in general. The NFL/owners make millions and millions every year, and just for the fact that all 32 owners are equally partnered for the most part...I don't think the front office would be foolish enough to try something like this.
Also, sooner or later, an official retires, and things like this (if true) end up with book deals...bad press...lawsuits...heavy fines and monetary loss...there is no end to this.
So, just for the $ fact, there might not be any deliberate cheating. Now, if one or two officials are either uninformed on the rules, or try to make up for a previous missed call...or try to act God-like, well, we know how that goes.
Life goes on.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Probably not but since you are the new NFL spokesman on officiating, perhaps, aside from the Tuck Rule, you can go find some comparable CRITICAL calls in the final 3 minutes of a game in AFC or NFC Championship game, Superbowl, between two teams vying for the 2nd best record in NFC/AFC, etc. You know, games that genuinely mean something. The Pats/Panthers game is a decent one. Let me know if you find any patterns.

as i have said all week, when the brooks play happened if you (speaking generally not you personally) didnt think there was a chance for a penalty to be called on a play like that, then you havent been paying close enough attention to how they are protecting qbs in the pocket like that. i'm fine with the play he made but i also knew right away there was a chance for a penalty based off of how anal they are about portecting the qbs. its all about expectations going in.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I do think that the Refs do not like Harbaugh and they may not be trying to be biased but they will probably call a play here and there that they might not call, just because of dislike for Jim. He needs to be like Pete Carroll and compliment the referees from time to time.
Share 49ersWebzone