LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 394 users in the forums

Does the league have something against us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The NFL front office may not actually have anything against us but it sure as hell feels like they do. I mean just look at all the damn fines that have been levyed against Niner players so far this season, seemingly just ridiculous decisions that really have no rhyme or reason. Maybe they're trying to punish Harbaugh for being successful too fast.
Brooks fine being greater than Mathews basically tells us all we need to know... If you want the league on your side pick up and move east.
no they dont, but i'll say our coach looking like a petulant little child ethering the refs when calls dont go his way wont work in his favour down the line. like vs the titans he absolutely flipped on a PI call he wanted when we were winning 24-0, hes got to learn to chill out, theres a way to get the point across without looking 6 years old.
i think its more about refs gambling than anything. the refs made the call, the nfl has to back their guys decisions otherwise the legitimacy of the game is in question, even tho the legitimacy of the game IS in question. strange things happen at the superdome and gambling is legal in Louisiana. im not saying its the only place it happens, but gambling and fixed games seem pretty prevalent there.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think its more about refs gambling than anything. the refs made the call, the nfl has to back their guys decisions otherwise the legitimacy of the game is in question, even tho the legitimacy of the game IS in question. strange things happen at the superdome and gambling is legal in Louisiana. im not saying its the only place it happens, but gambling and fixed games seem pretty prevalent there.

This is really the only feasible explanation. People will say that's impossible but they said that about the NBA also.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
LOL...No, the league doesn't have it out for the 49ers...there are controversial and missed calls every week in virtually every game. Picking up the flag in the Pats-Panthers game on Monday night (ironic, considering the widely held belief the league want the Patriots and Brady to win every year); the "Fail Mary" play last year between the Seahawks and Packers actually helped the 49ers get the 2nd seed; the Jerry Rice fumble in the "Catch 2" game against the Packers; the controversial ending of the Giants-49ers playoff game Mooch's last year that went the 49ers way; the non-call against Bowman in the NFC Championship game that sent the 49ers to the SB (I think it was legal but could understand why Falcons fans would disagree); etc.

You only remember the ones that go against the 49ers. And, lets be honest, the Crabtree call in the SB and the Brooks call against the Saints were close calls. If they had gone the other way, the same type of debates would have occurred but they would have involved Ravens and Saints fans instead. It is like Harbaugh said after the Saints game, he believes the Brooks hit was legal but he acknowledges he's biased.

If you want to discuss questionable practices or a bias by the league, the Redskins and Cowboys suffering significant cap penalties for contracts they dumped during the time period where the CBA had expired and there was no cap in place would seem a much more legitimate place to start than claiming the league has it out for the 49ers.
Originally posted by kem99:
LOL...No, the league doesn't have it out for the 49ers...there are controversial and missed calls every week in virtually every game. Picking up the flag in the Pats-Panthers game on Monday night (ironic, considering the widely held belief the league want the Patriots and Brady to win every year); the "Fail Mary" play last year between the Seahawks and Packers actually helped the 49ers get the 2nd seed; the Jerry Rice fumble in the "Catch 2" game against the Packers; the controversial ending of the Giants-49ers playoff game Mooch's last year that went the 49ers way; the non-call against Bowman in the NFC Championship game that sent the 49ers to the SB (I think it was legal but could understand why Falcons fans would disagree); etc.

You only remember the ones that go against the 49ers. And, lets be honest, the Crabtree call in the SB and the Brooks call against the Saints were close calls. If they had gone the other way, the same type of debates would have occurred but they would have involved Ravens and Saints fans instead. It is like Harbaugh said after the Saints game, he believes the Brooks hit was legal but he acknowledges he's biased.

If you want to discuss questionable practices or a bias by the league, the Redskins and Cowboys suffering significant cap penalties for contracts they dumped during the time period where the CBA had expired and there was no cap in place would seem a much more legitimate place to start than claiming the league has it out for the 49ers.

lol there was nothing close about the crabtree call dude. f**k that. brooks hit was clean as well but it was a little closer. theres no way the nfl didnt give that game to the ravens tho. holding on returns gets missed sometimes as well but not when two guys do it on the same play.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
lol there was nothing close about the crabtree call dude. f**k that. brooks hit was clean as well but it was a little closer. theres no way the nfl didnt give that game to the ravens tho. holding on returns gets missed sometimes as well but not when two guys do it on the same play.

Except that...if that was Carlos Rodgers against Torrey Smith and the exact same thing happened, you'd be saying it was a good no call and the refs should let the players play and decide the game. You can deny it but you know its true and so does everyone else and that's okay.
Originally posted by kem99:

Except that...if that was Carlos Rodgers against Torrey Smith and the exact same thing happened, you'd be saying it was a good no call and the refs should let the players play and decide the game. You can deny it but you know its true and so does everyone else and that's okay.

life as an nfl fan is similar to things in the real world, something bad goes against you and its the 'whoa is me' thing, samething happens to someone else and most people dont give a s**t.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Bad calls even out, it seems that a large bulk of our fan base seems to not notice when the 49ers benefit from calls or non calls. Also it seems like many of you disregard the fact the refs are calling penalties at field level at full speed, not watching slow motion replays over and over on their couch.

Originally posted by BobS:
Bad calls even out, it seems that a large bulk of our fan base seems to not notice when the 49ers benefit from calls or non calls. Also it seems like many of you disregard the fact the refs are calling penalties at field level at full speed, not watching slow motion replays over and over on their couch.

classic nfl fan syndrome. when the colts beat the hawks, i had a number of my friends who are hawk fans blaming the refs, they were bent on a blocked punt td that was ruled a safety, but also fuming over a few PI calls on their db's. i had to mention to them in previous games they're allowed quite a bit of contact on wr's. fans dont care when they get away with some stuff infact it makes it worse i think, a sense of entitlement begins to build up.

While I agree with you that calls even out (IMO is that we are still having karma pay us back for a ridiculously lucky 2011) the argument is about consistency. What fans see is the NFL saying they cant make a call that late in a game with the superbowl on the line, but then they make the call that greatly affected the outcome of another one of our games. The subjectiveness of the refs has not been in the niners favor, and it sucks to have to put up with it. That being said... if Gore catches the easy dump off this conversation wouldnt be taking place.
Originally posted by 5280High:

While I agree with you that calls even out (IMO is that we are still having karma pay us back for a ridiculously lucky 2011) the argument is about consistency. What fans see is the NFL saying they cant make a call that late in a game with the superbowl on the line, but then they make the call that greatly affected the outcome of another one of our games. The subjectiveness of the refs has not been in the niners favor, and it sucks to have to put up with it. That being said... if Gore catches the easy dump off this conversation wouldnt be taking place.

you're never going to get sweeping consistency in every game. the goal should be consistency within that game. 1 set of rules for both teams, not 1 for each side.
Honestly I'd have to say NO. I think the thing is that this is not the same game of the 70-80, and early 90's. Where u tried to not kill, but like a Ronnie Lott and punish the man on the other side of the ball. When I think back I, I remember some of those concussion hits, broken fingers etc, get it taped up and get ur butt right back on the field. Now your taken off the field for almost anything.

With the rule changes, its a little comical at how many teams, usually during game time, dont know the rule, forget, or after a bad play is called, need clarification.

So once again, NO, I just think with all the rule changes, sometimes you either forget, or the new rule doesnt pertain to you, until that situation actually happens, and then your like, WTF.....
Originally posted by solidg2000:
They call us whiners cause it rhymes with niners duh
And we always get tons if calls against us

The catch 2 was the biggest call in out favor
But I remember getting screwed time and time again every time we played the packers

We got screwed in the 80s and where robbed of our perfect season
We were screwed the last SB, east coast bias

The first bolded point is what drives me crazy about some people. Every fan of every team complains about something during the year. We just happen to have the perfect name.

As to the second bolded sentence. I've always felt that. Think about some of the biggest controversial calls and who they go against-

• Most recently-2001 Tuck Rule. When I saw the explanation to that play I was like . Of course it screws the Raiders, a west coast team.
Share 49ersWebzone