LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Is Parys Haralson going to be released?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Parys Haralson going to be released?

No question! He's due to make $2,870,000 for a guy coming off a major injury, rusty and is a one-dimensional run-stopper who can't pass rush (e.g. telegraphs our plays and defeats the purpose of the 3-4). We also have Fleming and Johnson coming back. We should be looking at more well-rounded OLB's (stop the run, can pass rush and drop in coverage) with more upside and who are cheaper.
Originally posted by cciowa:
only way if he agrees to a reduced salary. i would also like to see what the two kids we drafted and got hurt can do for us. in order for last years draft to NOT be labeled as a fail, those two guys jenkins and looney have to show us something this coming year. i am keeping a open mind

do you mean cam johnson and darius fleming?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
do you mean cam johnson and darius fleming?

yes, thank you. i really want to see what those guys can do. if they both pan out to be players for us, that would be wonderfull
Originally posted by cciowa:
yes, thank you. i really want to see what those guys can do. if they both pan out to be players for us, that would be wonderfull

im excited for cam johnson, he slid down the draft due to injury. Big talent
If he gets released, it won't be till after the draft. If we draft a competent replacement, or if Darius Fleming (the guy we drafted last year to replace him) looks good in OTAs and training camp, then he'll get released.

I really like Haralson, and I think we will keep him if possible. But I thought Fleming was an excellent draft pick and he could be the guy we go with. Haralson will probably be a training camp decision.
Restructure.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
im excited for cam johnson, he slid down the draft due to injury. Big talent

I thought he slid for a medical issue. Sickle cell anemia if I remember right. A good talent though. He will compete with Fleming and Haralson in fall camp.
He is a good backup that is cheap. He is only bad because of his lack of push rush skills. To many people want to cut him to get salary cap money, but at what cost, long season-see Justin Smith.

Plus it depends on how other fair like Cam and a rookie who will certainly be drafted.
[ Edited by WildBill on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM ]
I think he is worth every penny to give breaks to Smith and Brooks on run downs. Then if one of the young kids they drafted last year or a draft pick from this year beats him out then cut him.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Restructure.

Agreed. Give him an incentive laden deal that is heavily weighted towards sacks.

Originally posted by WildBill:
He is a good backup that is cheap. He is only bad because of his lack of push rush skills. To many people want to cut him to get salary cap money, but at what cost, long season-see Justin Smith.

He's a $3M backup who didn't play a snap for us last year during our Super Bow run. Just my opinion, but I think you're really over-valuing him. If something were to happen to Brooks or Aldon, I highly doubt Haralson (who missed all of last year and since 2008 hasn't really done much anyway) could come in and be an effective every-down player. I really don't see it, and I LIKE Haralson.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

He's a $3M backup who didn't play a snap for us last year during our Super Bow run. Just my opinion, but I think you're really over-valuing him. If something were to happen to Brooks or Aldon, I highly doubt Haralson (who missed all of last year and since 2008 hasn't really done much anyway) could come in and be an effective every-down player. I really don't see it, and I LIKE Haralson.

Didn't do anything last year due to a season injury

2011 Defense was one of the best Defense in NFL history (which Parys Started)
Depends on if they can get a less expensive comparable player in FA.

I hope we can do that or get a quality player in the draft to replace him.

I reacall how SO MANY people in the zone were worried that we let Manny Lawson go and Abruyo Franklyn go -

We all know how that turned out! Same thing w/Harralson - he's nothing special and can be replaced - No Problem.
His injury happened pretty early last year so he should be good to go. I'd like to have some experience (younger than Haggans) lined up along with the youngsters we're going to be bringing along. In a perfect world he signs a one or two year extension at a reduced salary.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Didn't do anything last year due to a season injury

2011 Defense was one of the best Defense in NFL history (which Parys Started)

In which he had all of 2 sacks and 31 total tackles. If you're happy with that type of production from a starting OLB in a 3-4 defense, then God bless you. I know I'm weird, but I expect a little more. And the strength of the 2011 defense was stopping the run (historically so), but was pretty average against the pass (16th in passing yards allowed)...partly due to a lack of a consistent pass rush.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone