LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Is Parys Haralson going to be released?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Parys Haralson going to be released?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
In which he had all of 2 sacks and 31 total tackles. If you're happy with that type of production from a starting OLB in a 3-4 defense, then God bless you.

He def played well in early downs. Could have used him in that Seattle game when they ran all over us going at Aldon
Originally posted by Squidp:
In which he had all of 2 sacks and 31 total tackles. If you're happy with that type of production from a starting OLB in a 3-4 defense, then God bless you.

He def played well in early downs. Could have used him in that Seattle game when they ran all over us going at Aldon

Highly doubt Parys Haralson would've made much of a difference in that Seattle blowout, but that's just me.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Highly doubt Parys Haralson would've made much of a difference in that Seattle blowout, but that's just me.

well we sure as heck needed some type of depth this year! it is beyond criminal for the coaches not to address that this off season. i just figured they would have cut him by now. as i said maybe they will give him a low offer and count on the fact he likes it here and knows his chances of being on a winning team are very good. if we cut him, i will take the salary cap savings, draft at least one rookie and let him or them and the two kids who did not play last year have at it
I think so. He's a steady player, but not much of a pass rusher at this point and he's coming off an injury. $3 mil is a lot for someone who won't see the field, and there is zero upside left. He is what he is. He's not taking snaps from Aldon or Ahmad. It's time to get younger, cheaper, high upside players to develop at the backup OLB spots.
Originally posted by cciowa:

well we sure as heck needed some type of depth this year! it is beyond criminal for the coaches not to address that this off season. i just figured they would have cut him by now. as i said maybe they will give him a low offer and count on the fact he likes it here and knows his chances of being on a winning team are very good. if we cut him, i will take the salary cap savings, draft at least one rookie and let him or them and the two kids who did not play last year have at it

This

Justin smith stats isn't telling as much as he's worth when he's in the game
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM ]
I hope we cut him N say good bye no need to pay a so-called backup 2.5+ mill to sit on injury list besides I don't remember tha last time I've seen him in on a play or making a different making play ...
Originally posted by WildBill:
He is a good backup that is cheap. He is only bad because of his lack of push rush skills. To many people want to cut him to get salary cap money, but at what cost, long season-see Justin Smith.

He's a $3M backup who didn't play a snap for us last year during our Super Bow run. Just my opinion, but I think you're really over-valuing him. If something were to happen to Brooks or Aldon, I highly doubt Haralson (who missed all of last year and since 2008 hasn't really done much anyway) could come in and be an effective every-down player. I really don't see it, and I LIKE Haralson.

Hard to do anything if you are injured, but he is a proven player, just not much of a rusher. Don't have to about him against the run or pass coverage. My point is unless you have a known quantity, you don't always cut bait unless you have to. Depending what they do in FA, right now they don't have to. You know he can spell Aldon and Brookes and don't have to worry about blowing it unless you ask him to rush the passer.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

You didn't just go there.

Sure, it's not all about stats for a 3-4 DE...but it is for a 3-4 OLB. The job of guys like Justin Smith and Ray McDonald is to free up the OLBs (like Haralson) to make plays, get tackles, tackles for loss and sacks. Production IS essential for a rush linebacker in this system, whether it be making tackles (behind the line of scrimmage or elsewhere), forcing sacks, getting pressure or even picking off the occasional pass (which Parys hasn't done in his entire career...yes, he has ZERO interceptions and only 4 pass break-ups in 6 years).

In Haralson's 6 year career he has averaged just over 3.5 sacks per year and less than 1.5 solo tackles per game. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm "hating," but I'm not. He was one of my favorite players while in college and I was as happy as anyone when we drafted him. But for whatever reasons, he just hasn't been very productive over his career and certainly isn't worth a cap figure of almost $3M.

Bottom line, he's not an effective pass rusher, isn't much of a pass defender and is moderately effective against the run. So with all that in mind, I think we can fairly easily find someone to replicate his numbers (and likely anything else PH did on the field) for much less than his current cap figure. I'm pretty confident about that, and this is coming from someone who actually really likes the guy.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM ]
He knows the scheme and has worked with the defense. A better option would be more costly and a rookie in the 49er system doesn't see too much PT.

Sure, it's not all about stats for a 3-4 DE...but it is for a 3-4 OLB. The job of guys like Justin Smith and Ray McDonald is to free up the OLBs (like Haralson) to make plays, get tackles, tackles for loss and sacks. Production IS essential for a rush linebacker in this system, whether it be making tackles (behind the line of scrimmage or elsewhere), forcing sacks, getting pressure or even picking off the occasional pass (which Parys hasn't done in his entire career...yes, he has ZERO interceptions and only 4 pass break-ups in 6 years).

In Haralson's 6 year career he has averaged just over 3.5 sacks per year and less than 1.5 solo tackles per game. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm "hating," but I'm not. He was one of my favorite players while in college and I was as happy as anyone when we drafted him. But for whatever reasons, he just hasn't been very productive over his career and certainly isn't worth a cap figure of almost $3M.

Bottom line, he's not an effective pass rusher, isn't much of a pass defender and is moderately effective against the run. So with all that in mind, I think we can fairly easily find someone to replicate his numbers (and likely anything else PH did on the field) for much less than his current cap figure. I'm pretty confident about that, and this is coming from someone who actually really likes the guy.

2011 had more team sacks and less total tackles which means less defensive series compared to 2012.

if the team as a whole played well with him and not so much without him..why would he be the guy to put all the blame?

Aldon can't be an every down player right now, and a rookie might not even see the field (like most of our picks in 2012)

I wont be sad if he goes, but i know it there will be some bumps in the road without him
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
He knows the scheme and has worked with the defense. A better option would be more costly and a rookie in the 49er system doesn't see too much PT.

We don't know that yet, as there might be a veteran with pass rush skills that could be cheaper (like Quentin Groves or even Juqua Parker, just throwing a few name out there). And if they're a little more expensive, it would be worth it if they provided more production.

Btw, Aldon got plenty of action his rookie year, so if they drafted someone with even half of the rush skills he has, they'd likely see the field 5-10 snaps a game to give Brooks or Aldon a breather. So it's not like they won't play rookies, they just won't give them a ton of responsibilities early on. But a rush linebacker spotting the starters for a few plays here and there has one assignment....get to the QB.

2011 had more team sacks and less total tackles which means less defensive series compared to 2012.

if the team as a whole played well with him and not so much without him..why would he be the guy to put all the blame?

Aldon can't be an every down player right now, and a rookie might not even see the field (like most of our picks in 2012)

I wont be sad if he goes, but i know it there will be some bumps in the road without him

Um, I wasn't putting ANY, much less all the blame on Haralson for the 2012 results. I'm just saying that with the exception of the 2008 season, Haralson hasn't been an effective 3-4 linebacker for us. He didn't do much before that year and hasn't done much since, and I think we can do at least the same if not better, especially for the price. That's my only point.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM ]

And a point ppl forget, is that he'd be taking up a roster spot. The bottom line is we need STARTER material behind Brooks/Aldon in case one goes down. THAT talent can't develop if PH and his 3M backup money is playing first downs for Aldon. Look at Fleming, Johnson, FA and the draft and develop a full, well-rounded OLB in case Aldon/Brooks goes down.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an OLB who can not only seal the edge and produce TFL's but also rush the passer/drop back in coverage as part of a rotation with Aldon/Brooks on ANY DOWN? PH makes our 3-4 predictable.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

And a point ppl forget, is that he'd be taking up a roster spot. The bottom line is we need STARTER material behind Brooks/Aldon in case one goes down. THAT talent can't develop if PH and his 3M backup money is playing first downs for Aldon. Look at Fleming, Johnson, FA and the draft and develop a full, well-rounded OLB in case Aldon/Brooks goes down.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an OLB who can not only seal the edge and produce TFL's but also rush the passer/drop back in coverage as part of a rotation with Aldon/Brooks on ANY DOWN? PH makes our 3-4 predictable.

Couldn't have said it any better.
Share 49ersWebzone