LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

What do you think we would need to do to win it all next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the power of jesus christ
There are so many small things, if fixed, would have made a difference in our record last year. Lot of games lost by 7 or less.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Nate Davis = Superbowl Champions

lol
C.J.Spiller

RT

fast lock down CB

G

fast FS

the other 3 picks BAP
1. Better QB play. I definitely think we were a playoff caliber team this season. Sure a lot of things contribute to a teams success/failure, but ultimately it comes down to the play of the QB. And since we're talking about winning it all, the play of Smith has to dramatically improve without a shadow of doubt. All you have to do is look at this years S.B. QB's to see that you need great play from the position.

This is make or break year for #11 that's for sure.

2. Team Speed. We are lacking true speed at key positions on both sides of the ball. On offense, a homerun hitter like Spiller would be ideal. And ond the defensive side we need help at CB and Safety.

3. O-Line

Not that far away if we can get some quality QB play next season.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
the power of jesus christ

I was going to say better o line play and great QB play but I could go along with what you said.
Originally posted by JohnnyMo49:
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Originally posted by Rockyfromask:
One word! C.J. Spiller!

that is the most retarded thing ive ever heard. a change of pace back is not going to make a huge impact.

what one thing could take us all the way? two words: alex smith. he's the starter. if he can play at a pro bowl level, we could definitly make it to the super bowl. we are a qb away. we have the defense. we have the rb. we have the receivers- VD and crabs. we just need the qb to step it up.

we are that close. in this years draft, if we can grab a tackle, a db, and a return man, and our qb steps it up considerably, there should be no reason not to win it all.

cough* Chris Johnson *cough

Chris Johnson is not a 'change of pace' back.

-9fA
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Originally posted by Rockyfromask:
One word! C.J. Spiller!

that is the most retarded thing ive ever heard. a change of pace back is not going to make a huge impact.

what one thing could take us all the way? two words: alex smith. he's the starter. if he can play at a pro bowl level, we could definitly make it to the super bowl. we are a qb away. we have the defense. we have the rb. we have the receivers- VD and crabs. we just need the qb to step it up.

we are that close. in this years draft, if we can grab a tackle, a db, and a return man, and our qb steps it up considerably, there should be no reason not to win it all.

What I find retarded is your name "burrito"...
and is not two words, its THREE words; bench Alex Smith.
This thread is a little crazy, huh? If the Niners even want to have a shot at winning the west Smith better be starting to work on his timing with Crabtree, like now or yesterday even.

I can't do anything about Smith starting but I will say that he needs to improve vastly to stay on this team beyond this year. He needs to work on being consistent and being aware. He still lacks that QB pocket presence. He rarely looks confortable when he has to make a decision out there.

Davis needs to be groomed into the #2 spot immediately and get some snaps to see what we got. Learning disability, sure. He still learned his playbook at Ball state and was the QB of the year. All kinds of records in college so let's see what he has, no?

All that being said, Alex MIGHT have the gusto to lead us in a weak west but to the Superbowl, well Alex needs to be a pro bowl guy. I am not just sure he can develop into that guy. He might improve but I don't see him as that reliable. Decent arm, suspect accuracy and durability.

Go Niners!!
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
This thread is a little crazy, huh? If the Niners even want to have a shot at winning the west Smith better be starting to work on his timing with Crabtree, like now or yesterday even.

I can't do anything about Smith starting but I will say that he needs to improve vastly to stay on this team beyond this year. He needs to work on being consistent and being aware. He still lacks that QB pocket presence. He rarely looks confortable when he has to make a decision out there.

Davis needs to be groomed into the #2 spot immediately and get some snaps to see what we got. Learning disability, sure. He still learned his playbook at Ball state and was the QB of the year. All kinds of records in college so let's see what he has, no?

All that being said, Alex MIGHT have the gusto to lead us in a weak west but to the Superbowl, well Alex needs to be a pro bowl guy. I am not just sure he can develop into that guy. He might improve but I don't see him as that reliable. Decent arm, suspect accuracy and durability.

Go Niners!!

agreed
ive been an alex supporter ever since he came, but he needs to improve this offseason, last year was definetly a good year for him but we need some improvement.

hey, you never know, Vernon suprised us this year, lets see what Alex can do!

Like most say here, Great QB play will probably at least put us in the playoffs. This would mean Smith has to play better than he did last year. He will need some help from the Oline and possibly the run game.

Our season will hang around Smith's neck as I believe our D is good enough to get us to the playoffs. To win it all, we need excellent QB play, a new RT, good backup RB, and a solid corner...
Well, what do the actual Superbowl participants have that makes them successful?

1. Great QBs. Very rarely does even an average QB win it all.

2. Great offensive scheme that gets the best out of the players.

3. Defense. The offenses rule these days, but a great defense can get that one crucial stop and maybe a turnover. In a 37-30 game, it still can be the better D that allows only the 30.

4. Coaching is basically simple (but not easy): identify and play the best players, play them at their best positions, utilize schemes and techniques that they are best at. This gets down to the nitty-gritty of OL blocking techniques, particular pass patterns and such.

5. Front office decisions. Got to have the players, everything else depends on that. Draft, trade, sign, release, salary caps and all that. The coaches are part of the process, but the front office is who gets it done, or not.

6. Ownership. Being an owner is a big and important job. They have to be rich, above all, so that the money part isn't an issue. Then they can concentrate on hiring the best front office people and subsequently the best coaches.

They have to be a positive force in the community, a father figure to some of the players and be successful in getting a proper facility to play in (which makes it easier to get good employees).

They can't be like ** ***** and mess everything up.

So, how do the Niners stack up here? At or near the top in any category?
1. A good return game

2. a quality right tackle

3. improvement at the guard position

4. a pass rusher

5. Safety

Numbers 4 and 5 I don't think are necessary to get to the post season but since I believe this thread means how do we win the Superbowl then at least 4 will be needed. Michael Lewis is serviceable now but i think we should start looking to get younger and faster at that position very soon.
It's fun to play GM
Originally posted by carlgo:
Well, what do the actual Superbowl participants have that makes them successful?

1. Great QBs. Very rarely does even an average QB win it all.

2. Great offensive scheme that gets the best out of the players.

3. Defense. The offenses rule these days, but a great defense can get that one crucial stop and maybe a turnover. In a 37-30 game, it still can be the better D that allows only the 30.

4. Coaching is basically simple (but not easy): identify and play the best players, play them at their best positions, utilize schemes and techniques that they are best at. This gets down to the nitty-gritty of OL blocking techniques, particular pass patterns and such.

5. Front office decisions. Got to have the players, everything else depends on that. Draft, trade, sign, release, salary caps and all that. The coaches are part of the process, but the front office is who gets it done, or not.

6. Ownership. Being an owner is a big and important job. They have to be rich, above all, so that the money part isn't an issue. Then they can concentrate on hiring the best front office people and subsequently the best coaches.

They have to be a positive force in the community, a father figure to some of the players and be successful in getting a proper facility to play in (which makes it easier to get good employees).

They can't be like ** ***** and mess everything up.

So, how do the Niners stack up here? At or near the top in any category?

Great post.

And in my opinion we can have the starting o-line from the NFC Pro Bowl, but with A.Smith at QB, we're still an 8-8 team.

And please don't mistake this for Smith bashing.
Share 49ersWebzone