LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 319 users in the forums

"The Joe Show" - Joe Staley Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If the report about x-rays showing it 90% healed is true, I hate to say it, but I don't think he should be out there. If it's not 100% healed, that's not a risk we should be taking, in my opinion. We play the Seahawks and the Cardinals who both have no problem taking cheap shots at our players. I would not be surprised at all to see them diving at his legs in these games.

Where did you see this?

This. I'd be very surprised if we're letting a player come back to play/practice if x-rays didn't show a full recovery.

"I feel good," the six-time Pro Bowl left tackle said. "If everything goes according to plan, I'll be out there this week. Today, I was out there for the full practice, which was the first time.

"Barring any type of setback, the plan is to play."

Staley said the last time he has an X-ray, the leg was 90 percent healed. He returned to individual work the past two weeks with the intention all along that he would play against the Seahawks in Week 10..

Not making it up. Here's the link. https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-joe-staley-plans-return-starting-lineup-monday-vs-seahawks

The question becomes. When was that last x-ray? I worked in orthopedics for over 6 years, and our providers typically did an x-ray at 8 weeks to confirm full healing. It's been just over 7 weeks now since the injury. It's possible he had one last week at the 6 week mark. Here's my issue: 90 percent is still not 100%. After Richburg's misdiagnosis last year, I can't help but at least feel a little concerned.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
If the report about x-rays showing it 90% healed is true, I hate to say it, but I don't think he should be out there. If it's not 100% healed, that's not a risk we should be taking, in my opinion. We play the Seahawks and the Cardinals who both have no problem taking cheap shots at our players. I would not be surprised at all to see them diving at his legs in these games.

Where did you see this?

This. I'd be very surprised if we're letting a player come back to play/practice if x-rays didn't show a full recovery.

"I feel good," the six-time Pro Bowl left tackle said. "If everything goes according to plan, I'll be out there this week. Today, I was out there for the full practice, which was the first time.

"Barring any type of setback, the plan is to play."

Staley said the last time he has an X-ray, the leg was 90 percent healed. He returned to individual work the past two weeks with the intention all along that he would play against the Seahawks in Week 10..

Not making it up. Here's the link. https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-joe-staley-plans-return-starting-lineup-monday-vs-seahawks

The question becomes. When was that last x-ray? I worked in orthopedics for over 6 years, and our providers typically did an x-ray at 8 weeks to confirm full healing. It's been just over 7 weeks now since the injury. It's possible he had one last week at the 6 week mark. Here's my issue: 90 percent is still not 100%. After Richburg's misdiagnosis last year, I can't help but at least feel a little concerned.

[ Edited by Alfienator on Nov 6, 2019 at 11:27 AM ]
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
I can't see a scenario where the team would let him hit the field in an actual game unless his leg was 100%.

Im sure that's the plan, anything less would seem negligent.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Even if the X-ray in question was taken a week ago, that would be two weeks by game time. He would be 100% healed by then even using conservative timelines for a hairline fracture.
I certainly hope that 90% healed x-ray was WELL in advance of him coming back to practice. No reason to rush him back given the play so far and absolutely no reason to risk someone coming back before he's fully healed.
I certainly hope that 90% healed x-ray was WELL in advance of him coming back to practice. No reason to rush him back given the play so far and absolutely no reason to risk someone coming back before he's fully healed.

I sure hope so too. I mean, we let Richburg play on a completely torn quad last year. You would hate to think they would make a similar mistake with Staley and let him play on that bone "hoping" it's 100% healed by game time. If it was X-rayed like.. this Monday or something and it's only 90% healed, we are cutting it close.

It seems to me that we are letting him get RIGHT UP to the exactly 8 week mark where he should finally be healed by the actual game time itself. Wouldn't be surprised to have them call him a game-time decision.
This dude's done. It's a wrap.
Both Staley and McGlinchery played like s**t tonight. We should have stayed with what was working.
[ Edited by WINiner on Nov 11, 2019 at 9:12 PM ]
Dude was ABUSED. All night. Speed moves, power moves. Not sure if it was rust or he just didn't eat the last 8 weeks.
Looked really really bad out there. Might be time to start looking for his heir.

Worst game of his career
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This dude should not have been playing. Clowney owned him all game.
I hope Clowney gave a him a cigarette after the game after that session. Staley looked like an old man.
I was very worried about him and McGlinchey coming in after this line has been working so well without them.

Worst game of his career and made Seattle look like a powerhouse D. Skule should start. This was horrendous
Time to move on from this has been too
Share 49ersWebzone