There are 263 users in the forums

Derek Carr, Saints QB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Wow dumb move Saints. The fallout from Brees retirement continues. Gonna have to bring out the brown bags again Saints fans…

What would you have done in charge of Saints?

Start a rebuild via draft. Carr in not making the Saints a SB contender. They would have had just a good a chance to win the division with a rookie QB (weak division), rather than making a splash signing with a guy who isn't a top 10 QB IMO. If they were looking for a transitional QB just to be competitive, Jimmy could be had for 25m and expectations would be much lower until you find the right guy in the draft….

I mean maybe. But what are they going to do in the draft at QB? They would have to trade up as they're sitting at the bottom of Round 1 and I'm no expert but to me the only 2 guys who might stand a reasonable chance of panning out as high end QB's are Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud based on college production, talent, and level they played at. Maybe Hendon Hooker coming off his ACL. The other guys are basically projects and obviously there are question marks even with Young and Stroud. And even the higher end projects live Levis and Richardson are almost definitely gone before pick 29. Plus almost every single rookie QB hold his team back in some way(s) and makes his share of mistakes when thrown into the fire right away so a rookie QB, even a talented one, could be what causes you to not win a winnable division. I agree they're not Super Bowl contenders and I could see an argument that signing Jimmy is a more cost effective option. But almost every team that isn't committed to a total rebuild is going to try to get a proven veteran at QB rather than take a gamble in the draft. I suspect the Saints being in that weak division you mentioned, no Brady anymore, the Panthers in transition/looking for a QB and the Falcons having no sure thing/answers at QB is going to make a team that came close to getting to the playoffs with Andy Dalton look to make that splash on some level.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Wow dumb move Saints. The fallout from Brees retirement continues. Gonna have to bring out the brown bags again Saints fans…

What would you have done in charge of Saints?

Start a rebuild via draft. Carr in not making the Saints a SB contender. They would have had just a good a chance to win the division with a rookie QB (weak division), rather than making a splash signing with a guy who isn't a top 10 QB IMO. If they were looking for a transitional QB just to be competitive, Jimmy could be had for 25m and expectations would be much lower until you find the right guy in the draft….

I bet Jimmy G out plays what Carr does with the Saints. But who knows where he lands and if he can stay healthy? Particularly he needs to stay healthy. But if he does he will probably out do Carr.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 9, 2023 at 10:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone