LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Derek Carr, Saints QB

Shop 49ers game tickets
So, if worst case scenario happens and Brock needs full tommy johns and is out 2023, why not have a look at Derek? Strikes me as a guy that could revitalize his career on a team like ours and at the very least could compete with Trey for the job. He might be a good fit
Not opposed at his point, but he prolly wants guaranteed starting gig ie. Jets, Panthers, Saints, Dolphins, . And we prolly can't pay him.
I'm open, it seems what we have isn't going to get us there.
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Not opposed at his point, but he prolly wants guaranteed starting gig ie. Jets, Panthers, Saints, Dolphins, . And we prolly can't pay him.

I agree this is probably what Carr wants. What he gets, however, is another story entirely. He may not get that offer. If the forthcoming surgery on Purdy's elbow puts him out for all of 2023, the 49ers might want to kick the tires on Carr. He's a better option than Brady at this point, who really began to show his age this past season. IF the 49ers can sign this guy for 2-3 seasons, with the last season voidable, they may want to take a look at him.

Price is another option. You're right. He probably wants to get paid. But there's a big difference between what he wants and what he gets. He might be available at the right price. My first option would be to bring Garoppolo back. But he wants to get paid as well. The next option is, obviously, Trey Lance. The 49ers still don't know what they have in this kid. He looked positively horrible against Chicago. But you cannot place that kind of tag on him after just one game.
I just had this exact conversation with my Dad about potentially looking at Derek Carr. Kyle liked him coming out, so it wouldn't shock me if they kick the tires on that.
would rather have a gimp Jimmy than this overrated raider foh lyfe.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
would rather have a gimp Jimmy than this overrated raider foh lyfe.

Jimmy and Carr are basically the same QB. When everything goes to plan, they are both slightly above average QBs who will drive a fanbase nuts. Id rather have Carr than a healthy Jimmy (let alone a gimpy one), but trust me, it aint by much.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Don't see him as a SB winning quarterback, sorry.
Lateral move from Garoppolo to Carr. Plus you'd have to trade for him which means giving up compensation. Also he's only 31 so if you trade for him, you're pushing Lance and Purdy out the door for sure.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Lateral move from Garoppolo to Carr. Plus you'd have to trade for him which means giving up compensation. Also he's only 31 so if you trade for him, you're pushing Lance and Purdy out the door for sure.

No trade needed, he has to released or LV is forced to pay 40 mill in two weeks or end of February something like that

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

No trade needed, he has to released or LV is forced to pay 40 mill in two weeks or end of February something like that

This, plus what 49ATT said. Carr has shown to be just as bad at times as Jimmy G. Hell Jimmy G might be even cheaper than Carr and knows the system. The only upside would be that he's been relatively healthy. I view them performance wise most likely the same depending on the day.
Maybe Tampa takes a look at Carr?
We don't need a QB, we have one.

Why not just go get a back up QB that can back up Lance? We don't need to bring in a high priced QB.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

$32.9M by 2/15.

They can release him with a buyout of $25M and a cap hit of $6.250M by 2/15.

I would rather have JG.
The window on winning the SB is shrinking for this team. With Brady retiring, and Rodgers showing no interest in coming here. Why not kick the tires on a vet like Derek Carr? I think a fresh start with a squad ready to go all in will motivate Carr.
Share 49ersWebzone