There are 128 users in the forums

Criteria of a "#1" WR

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 18,569
The term "#1 WR" is used loosely to describe a very good WR, but I'm guessing we all have our own definition of what that means.

Let's say that these players are "#1 WRs", in no order:
Julio
DHopkins
Michael Thomas
Mike Evans
TY Hilton
OBJ
ABrown
Juju
DAdams
THill
KAllen

Notables:
SDiggs
Brandin Cooks
AThielen
DBaldwin
AJeffrey
JEdelmann
KGalloday
JLandry
ACooper

Probably forgot some names feel free to disagree. Using the current WRs in the game right now, where do you draw the line between the bottom of the list of "#1 WR", and the top of the "not a #1" WR? So, simple answer is:
(WR at the bottom of your list of #1 WR)
(WR at the top of your list of "not a #1 WR")

I think a #1 WR is someone that can be used to center a gameplan around. While benchmarks in production like yards, TDs, or catches can be used, it's more about what effect they have on the defense. They can dominate an average CB and can be forced fed the ball. They are a tough matchup in man coverage.
This is going to be a contentious thread. I can already see it lol.

I'm w/ you, thl. #1 WR=center a gameplan around and want to get the ball to as much as possible, but tbh, I really don't waste much time with the notion of a #1WR. I'd prefer a #1 skill group.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 7, 2019 at 1:00 PM ]
Cant kittle be considered a number 1 receiver? I mean you can gameplan aorund him, he beats man, and you can force feed him.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Cant kittle be considered a number 1 receiver? I mean you can gameplan aorund him, he beats man, and you can force feed him.

He isn't a WR. The discussion isn't about #1 target, but #1 Wide Receiver.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,381
a TE should never be THE #1 receiver...
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 18,569
Originally posted by Heroism:
This is going to be a contentious thread. I can already see it lol.

I'm w/ you, thl. #1 WR=center a gameplan around and want to get the ball to as much as possible, but tbh, I really don't waste much time with the notion of a #1WR. I'd prefer a #1 skill group.

Yeah I just wanted to gauge what folks considered a "#1". Obviously, there is no wrong answer because this is asking for people's opinion. I'm sure some will have a high bar with the list of #1s only containing 6 or 7 players. Some may say there are 20+ "#1s" in the league and it ends with a Doug Baldwin, for example.
AJ Green def. a #1
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 18,569
Originally posted by Fincham11:
AJ Green def. a #1

I knew I left a name or two out. Who is the worst #1 WR in the league? Who is the best WR that is not a "#1"?
Shoot we don't even have a number 2 reciever
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Fincham11:
AJ Green def. a #1

I knew I left a name or two out. Who is the worst #1 WR in the league? Who is the best WR that is not a "#1"?


That's tough.....Of the #1's you have listed I'll say JuJu is the worst simply because he's had less time to make his mark. The best WR that is not a "1" I'd say is Emmanuel Sanders.....I was thinking outside of everyone you listed above including the notables.
[ Edited by Fincham11 on Mar 7, 2019 at 1:31 PM ]

Originally posted by Krampus49:
Shoot we don't even have a number 2 reciever

I disagree, Goodwin and Pettis to me are considered very good number 2s, you add anyone from that list for number 1s and their stats will go up just of the fact the field would open up so much with a number 1 and Kittle, that's why I think AB in this offense would make it top 5
#1 WR= 6'6", 235 pounds, 4.25 40, can catch a football while dunking a basketball while chewing gum.


/thread
Threat for 100+ receptions, 1200+ yards and 10+ tds every year. I think the game planning around is also accurate. As a lame fantasy football analogy, maybe the WR you never sit regardless of CB matchup. LOL.
It's usually the guy that the defense has to shade safety help over to because most likely hes going to beat his man 90% of the time.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I disagree, Goodwin and Pettis to me are considered very good number 2s, you add anyone from that list for number 1s and their stats will go up just of the fact the field would open up so much with a number 1 and Kittle, that's why I think AB in this offense would make it top 5
Tru but Goodwin and Pettis need to stay healthy that's why I'm surprised we don't make a run at ab he would make the whole team better. I would swap first rounders with the Giants and give them are 2nd rounder this year and a 4th next year for obj. Still would be able to get a good edge rusher at 6
Share 49erswebzone