LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

Criteria of a "#1" WR

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by investasi:
#1 WR = can beat prime Darelle Revis man to man

we got em bois.

He looked great in the pre season with Jimmy G before both of their seasons went to crap.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

we got em bois.

Are the 49ers at least going to try and go after AJ Green? The bengals are on the edge of rebuild mode, he's nearing the end of his contract... After OBJ getting traded why not take a shot?
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by Krampus49:
Shoot we don't even have a number 2 reciever

I disagree, Goodwin and Pettis to me are considered very good number 2s, you add anyone from that list for number 1s and their stats will go up just of the fact the field would open up so much with a number 1 and Kittle, that's why I think AB in this offense would make it top 5

How can you say a guy who has played 12 career games (half of which starts) and a guy who misses an average of 5 games a season are "very good number 2s?"

I feel like Pettis is going to be a very good number 2 and Goodwin when healthy and given the opportunity has shown he's a nice WR..I think a lot will agree but obviously not you 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think Pettis is going to be a good #2 as well. But you declaring him that now is not something I can get behind. He has not proven that he is already a "very good #2" like you claim. I like Pettis a lot. But he needs to prove something before we anoint him.

Goodwin as a "very good #2" I find to be absolutely ridiculous though. He has had one fully healthy season in 6 years. Hope he can put it together and stay on the field. But to count on him as a very good #2 right now is crazy IMO.

You say a lot will agree.....I dont know that anyone will agree. Both could prove to become very good #2s, but they absolutely are not at this very minute.

I think the better wording would be Goodwin's max is as a number 2. If he were healthy and could be counted on for seasons like the one he had in 2017, he'd be a very good #2. As a number 3, Goodwin would be a nightmare. I don't know if we will get a "number 1" receiver in the draft, but if we get another guy that has starting ability, between that receiver, Pettis, and Goodwin, someone is going to have a CLEAR advantage on every play.
NFL Network aired "Top 10 Receivers of the 2000's" and 49ers had 5 of them at some point in their career. This list didn't even include Rice due to the timeframe.
  • thl408
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
NFL Network aired "Top 10 Receivers of the 2000's" and 49ers had 5 of them at some point in their career. This list didn't even include Rice due to the timeframe.

Moss, Owens, Isaac Bruce, Boldin?, and....
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

Moss, Owens, Isaac Bruce, Boldin?, and....

I stand corrected,,,,,thank you. Still, not a bad list until you think that they came away empty handed in 2000's :(
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
#1 WR= 6'6", 235 pounds, 4.25 40, can catch a football while dunking a basketball while chewing gum.

/thread

That'll work. It would be nice to physically dominate some other secondaries for a change instead of always being abused by big receivers.
  • thl408
This thread didn't go as I had thought. A few questions that might give us a better idea of what is a "#1 WR". No wrong answers, just wanted to see where people draw the line between a "#1 WR", and a "not a #1 WR".
Is TY Hilton a #1 WR?
Is Stefon Diggs a #1 WR?
Is Brandin Cooks a #1 WR?
Is Doug Baldwin a #1 WR?
Is Jarvis Landry a #1 WR?

yes, no, no, no, no, imo. My list of #1 WRs is not a very long one: Hopkins, OBJ, ABrown, Evans, Julio, TYHilton, KAllen, Michael Thomas with AJGreen as my "worst #1 WR". That's it. Some of my "No's" above are close but I'm keeping it an exclusive club.
Is TY Hilton a #1 WR?
Is Stefon Diggs a #1 WR?
Is Doug Baldwin a #1 WR?

1) Yes. Hilton gets double teamed, on occasion.
2) Diggs gets double teamed, at least when Keenum was playing there. Maybe he sucks now since Cousins is throwing the ball, idk. Haven't watched Vikings tape much. Thielen is probably better than him.
3) Cooks gets double teamed often, so yeah
4) No, he sucks.
5) Meh.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Mar 27, 2019 at 1:33 PM ]

Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Is TY Hilton a #1 WR?
Is Stefon Diggs a #1 WR?
Is Doug Baldwin a #1 WR?

1) Yes. Hilton gets double teamed, on occasion.
2) Diggs gets double teamed, at least when Keenum was playing there. Maybe he sucks now since Cousins is throwing the ball, idk. Haven't watched Vikings tape much. Thielen is probably better than him.
3) Cooks gets double teamed often, so yeah
4) No, he sucks.
5) Meh.

You think Doug Baldwin sucks? Have you watched any Seahawk games in the last 5 years?

Take away his injuries, Baldwin is about as consistent as you get besides the top tier WRs.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Take away his injuries, Baldwin is about as consistent as you get besides the top tier WRs.

certainly he makes us look bad, but you can say that about a lot of teams.

put it this way, I wouldn't give Doug Baldwin, #1 type of money right now if he was available and assuming he was healthy.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

certainly he makes us look bad, but you can say that about a lot of teams.

put it this way, I wouldn't give Doug Baldwin, #1 type of money right now if he was available and assuming he was healthy.

How many WRs truly deserve #1 money though?

Anyone not named Brown, OBJ, Julio, Green, Hopkins, Thomas, Evans is a #2 to me.
How many WRs truly deserve #1 money though?

Anyone not named Brown, OBJ, Julio, Green, Hopkins, Thomas, Evans is a #2 to me.

Evans is a bigtime #1. Imagine if he had a real qb throwing to him and not the other team
[ Edited by elguapo on Mar 27, 2019 at 3:05 PM ]
So, who is going to take the leap and mention any of this year's draft prospects as a potential #1? Who fits your profile as a #1 WR coming from this year's class. I'll go first:

Potential #1 receivers in 2019 draft class:
N'Keal Harry
Hakeem Butler
AJ Brown
Kelvin Harmon
DK Metcalf

Other candidates:
JJ Arcega-Whiteside
Emanuel Hall
Riley Ridley
Share 49ersWebzone